New Purcell interview / article

edited June 2006 in Sam & Max
New article Here at Comic Book Resources.
"As far as the web strips they are completely separate from the game story. They are my excuse to do some comics material, deal with the idea of Sam & Max being out of circulation for many years and give Sam & Max a presence for the fans while they wait for the episodic games to appear. There's been a bit of a hiccup as I got busier with other Telltale stuff, but I should be back on a 'schedule' shortly."

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2006
    Thanks for posting the link, JP. It's a good article, isn't it?

I thought this was interesting:
    In 1993 I had committed to a three-book anthology miniseries for Marvel/Epic. There was to be a three-chapter Sam & Max story written and drawn by me and then other stories with new characters drawn by other artists. The series was called 'The Sam & Max Show.' At the same time I was offered the chance to do a 'Sam & Max' game with LucasArts. I quickly realized I couldn't do both. My previous two Epic 'Sam & Max' books were not really marketed well - they were hard to find on the stands when they were released so I had no reason to believe the mini-series would be any different. So I opted for the game.

Think of how different life would be if he'd chosen to do the miniseries instead of the game!

Hmm... seems like fodder for an "alternate universe" episode... :D
  • edited June 2006
    Awesome interview! it would be good if steve could find some1 to draw sam and max to his liking..then he could just write some new comics and get some1 else to finish them.. oh well..a lot to look forward to in the new game.. Interesting comments about the fox kids cartoon.. I still think Sam and Max could work as an adult cartoon on adult swim or after family guy on fox...
  • edited June 2006
    A large part of "Sam & Max's" appeal was the manner in which it balanced humor with drama.
    Does anyone else find that an extraordinarily strange thing to say? (The interviewing person thing said it.)
  • edited June 2006
    A large part of "Sam & Max's" appeal was the manner in which it balanced humor with drama.
    Does anyone else find that an extraordinarily strange thing to say? (The interviewing person thing said it.)
    Well, it is perfectly balanced... 90% humor and 10% drama.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2006

Maybe they were thinking of moments like this in Bad Day on the Moon...

baddayonthemoon.jpg

...which you never really got in Sam & Max Hit the Road or on the cartoon show, but were occasionally present in the comics.

90% humor 10% drama is about right :) but those moments were there on occasion.
  • edited June 2006
    Maybe they were thinking of moments like this in Bad Day on the Moon...

baddayonthemoon.jpg

...which you never really got in Sam & Max Hit the Road or on the cartoon show, but were occasionally present in the comics.

90% humor 10% drama is about right :) but those moments were there on occasion.
    Yeah, that one brought tears to my eyes, alright.
  • edited June 2006
    Great interview. It's nice to pop here and immediately read something that's as reassuring as this. I especially like all the comments from Purcell about his opinion about the correct audience.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.