The purchase of LucasArts: how will it affect Sam and Max?

edited April 2013 in Sam & Max
It's still too early to tell, but I am pretty sure that Disney might do something good with the Sam and Max games LucasArts has.

I mean, when you think about it...

1. The creator of Sam and Max DOES work for Pixar, after all.

and 2. Bill Farmer, who voices Sam in those games, is a Disney Legend! In other words, the voice of Goofy!

And while some people say that Sam and Max Hit the Road might not be a good fit for Disney, think about it... it might qualify as family-friendly. There may be some swearing in it, but it's pretty tame. Plus Sam and Max don't have their guns with them!

The purchase woke a lot of us up... but it might be a good way to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Sam and Max, even more than the discount on the current games!

What do you think?

Comments

• edited November 2012
    There is still the problem that neither LucasArts or Disney own the rights to the characters they belong to Steve.
  • edited November 2012
    If you mean it affects TTG's S&M games then your wrong as Steve is the one with the rights to S&M. Only way Lucasarts being sold to Disney affecting S&M could be that if we are lucky they will let Telltale or someone else make a S&M Hit The Road HD Special Edition or Telltale could try and get the rights to S&M Freelance Police.
  • edited November 2012
    There is still the problem that neither LucasArts or Disney own the rights to the characters they belong to Steve.

Exactly this. Even though Disney owns LucasArts, Lucasarts's contract with Steve ended quite some time ago. They can't make Sam and Max games without asking Steve Purcell himself.
  • Despite loving HtR as a child, I have to say I prefer TTG's characterisations and voice actors for Sam & Max. And yes, as others have pointed out LucasArts (and therefore Disney) don't own Sam & Max.
  • edited November 2012
    I think the the ONLY problem it could make is if Disney makes a deal with Steve to do something with S&M and wanted exclusive rights... But he has worked with them for a while now and if that was going to happen I think it would have already...

I am not too worried about it.. but you never know what the future will bring.. I NEVER thought Uncle George would go and sell his life's work.. and here we are.
  • edited November 2012
    It's conceivable that Hit the Road" might get re-released, but that's unlikely to be a direct effect of Disney's purchase so much as something that might have happened anyway. "Freelance Police" won't get finished, though, and there's no reason to think that Disney will be any more interested in a franchise they don't own than anybody else.
  • edited December 2012
    It's conceivable that Hit the Road" might get re-released, but that's unlikely to be a direct effect of Disney's purchase so much as something that might have happened anyway. "Freelance Police" won't get finished, though, and there's no reason to think that Disney will be any more interested in a franchise they don't own than anybody else.

How do you know for sure that Freelance Police won't be finished?
  • edited December 2012
    lattsam wrote: »
    How do you know for sure that Freelance Police won't be finished?

Nobody can know that, but if one were to take an educated guess...

How many canceled games do you know of that managed to come out 8+ years later?
  • edited December 2012
    Scnew wrote: »
    Nobody can know that, but if one were to take an educated guess...

How many canceled games do you know of that managed to come out 8+ years later?

914622_47502_front.jpg
  • edited December 2012
    Okay, now how many games do you know of that were cancelled and DIDN'T manage to come out 8+ years later? Or how many that were canceled, had multiple other sequels in the meantime, and then came out?

Does anyone that was working on Freelance Police even still work for Lucasarts?

Anyway, if LA was going to get back into adventures you can bet they'd test the waters with Monkey Island, a more popular franchise that they actually own, first.
  • edited December 2012
    I think the question in thread title would be better applied to the Monkey Island franchise.
  • edited March 2013
    Nothing new from Disney/Lucasarts in a while, and nothing on Steve's blog... someone is obviously keeping something hush-hush...

Or maybe Steve just forgot to update his blog in a while!
  • edited March 2013
    I've got some other things brewing (as you may have guessed) and will fill you in as they take shape.

Doesn't seem very hush-hush, just that there's nothing new to report.

Considering that was posted on the Sam & Max blog and not Spudvision (which hasn't been updated since a month before Sam and Max's last post), I can only guess he means "S&M things" instead of "stuff that's preoccupying my time", but even so, Purcell's a busy dude.

I really, very much doubt we've seen the last of those two in game form, but I also think now's probably the time for patience. Between Fables, King's Quest, and Walking Dead Season 2, there probably won't be any Telltale Sam and Max stuff for a while, and the LucasArts purchase hasn't changed anything, as far as Disney goes.

(besides, when you think about it, the devil's playhouse's ending presents a problem. It'd be weird if Season 4 has Max's powers, since we already had the whole last season's plot revolve around them, and destroyed them. But taking them away would be just as weird, gameplay-wise. So it probably wouldn't be the casual graduation from season-to-season like we're used to.)
  • edited March 2013
    Hi everybody!

Probably not at all.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited March 2013
    wellgolly wrote: »
    (besides, when you think about it, the devil's playhouse's ending presents a problem. It'd be weird if Season 4 has Max's powers, since we already had the whole last season's plot revolve around them, and destroyed them. But taking them away would be just as weird, gameplay-wise. So it probably wouldn't be the casual graduation from season-to-season like we're used to.)
    It's Sam & Max, where Max's powers come and go and no one questions it. Max was able to transfer his consciousness to Sam in Bad Day on the Moon (both the comic and TV version), and Sam just nonchalantly discusses Max's telekinesis on coffee cups in Telltale's season one machinima short Coffee (and in that one Sam appeared to have telekinesis powers too, unless Max was just messing with him).

It would be par for the course if they just took a different approach for season four.
  • edited March 2013
    Good point!

Also, on the "patience" note, this Maybe-Poker-Night 2/TF2 Promo news is exciting! More Sam!
  • edited March 2013
    Also Max's could only do the S3 stuff because of
    the Toys of Power, which got destroyed at the end of ep 4
    . That hole is well plugged. And then there's the fact that Sam will want to keep him from
    getting another eldritch brain tumor
  • edited March 2013
    I don't know. I can see the Toys coming back in a later season. Max was able to use the powers without the toys in 304 and 305...and he IS part of a hivemind...
  • edited March 2013
    Despite loving HtR as a child, I have to say I prefer TTG's characterisations and voice actors for Sam & Max.
  • edited March 2013
    sdfghu wrote: »
    Despite loving HtR as a child, I have to say I prefer TTG's characterisations and voice actors for Sam & Max.

You just copied and pasted from Sir Primalform Magnifico, didn't you? :mad:
  • edited April 2013
    I'm so glad Disney didn't get the rights to Sam & Max; they ruin everything they touch.
  • edited April 2013
    lattsam alerted me to this. Could be something big: http://vaughnross.com/2013/04/09/sam-and-max/
  • edited April 2013
    Or it could be fanart.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.