Thinking about Buying Sam and Max- Few Questions

fusedmassfusedmass Banned
edited November 2012 in Sam & Max
I played The Walking Dead Series. I had no clue even about the other games. I'm more of a moral choice picking different outcomes that you want to play kinda person. I like the cause and effect and re-reaction of situations.

I was looking at Sam and Max. A bunny that wants take over the world with adult humor. I don't know about the game play. What can you do in the game relating to reading minds with his powers?

Does the game(without revealing spoilers) have any "certain choices" that change the outcome.

What other things did you like about this game?

Thank you.

Comments

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited November 2012
    fusedmass wrote: »
    I played The Walking Dead Series. I had no clue even about the other games. I'm more of a moral choice picking different outcomes that you want to play kinda person. I like the cause and effect and re-reaction of situations.

I was looking at Sam and Max. A bunny that wants take over the world with adult humor. I don't know about the game play. What can you do in the game relating to reading minds with his powers?

Does the game(without revealing spoilers) have any "certain choices" that change the outcome.

What other things did you like about this game?

Thank you.
    Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse does have one minor choice that slightly changes the outcome of the ending of the final episode.

Max's powers are more for the humor value and for puzzles than for more than manipulating people (although there are a few instances of Sam & Max manipulating people to get what they want, and for humor value - in all three games actually. Sam & Max have always been morally ambiguous).

The Sam & Max games are most like the puzzle sections of The Walking Dead (the parts where you have to wander around the area, collect objects, and use those objects on other objects). The Devil's Playhouse adds the psychic powers, which are accessed by "toys of power" that you collect throughout all of the episodes, and access by choosing the power you want to use. The Devil's Playhouse is directly controlled with a joystick (or keyboard, mouse combo) like The Walking Dead. Save the World and Beyond Time and Space are controlled by a cursor that can be controlled by mouse (on computers) or with the controller (on consoles) to click on objects.

I really liked Telltale's Sam & Max games. They're very funny (the characters, the story, and even some of the puzzles). Sam & Max Beyond Time and Space is my personal favorite game-play wise (the puzzles are more fun in my opinion), but The Devil's Playhouse is my favorite story wise.

Abe Lincoln Must Die (the fourth episode of Sam & Max Save the World) is free for PC. If you use Windows, I'd recommend trying that and seeing if their unique sense of humor is funny to you.
  • edited November 2012
    Sam & Max is based more on the LucasArts style of adventure gaming, meaning you're playing for fun and solving puzzles, and it's OK to make a choice that's obviously completely wrong just to see what funniness ensues when you make it. You can recover from just about any choice, and most things do not have a lasting impact on the game as they do with TWD. It's still fun, but in a different way. Try the Abe Lincoln Must Die episode for free as Jennifer suggests if you want to see if this sort of gameplay appeals to you.
  • fusedmassfusedmass Banned
    edited November 2012
    Thank you two for responding. I played the demo giving my impression of it. The graphics are a tiny bit little dated compared to the more vibrant colors you see with newer games.

Though I quickly warmed up to it with the cute bunny who say's horrible things no one ever seems to hear. The puzzles get a little difficult sometimes but I work my way through them. The comedy and writing is amazingly funny.

It's nice to play a game without taking myself so seriously. I'm not sure if I'll buy it. I'm pretty sure the demo the game was made several years ago. The writing is unique and different. I'll likely buy it they have a few seasons out already and a package value. That. Looks good.
  • edited November 2012
    As I recall, isn't the "Abe Lincoln" episode from Telltale's Season 1 FREE?
    edited November 2012
    As I recall, isn't the "Abe Lincoln" episode from Telltale's Season 1 FREE?

I'm unsure. I saw this was just the "Demo" I didn't see the full episode. I'm halfway through it right now. I'm expecting it to end without any warning.

They have season 1-3 on sale for 44 dollars. I'll buy that.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2012
    fusedmass wrote: »
    I'm unsure. I saw this was just the "Demo" I didn't see the full episode. I'm halfway through it right now. I'm expecting it to end without any warning.

They have season 1-3 on sale for 44 dollars. I'll buy that.

It's the full version. I recommend buying the Almost Everything pack instead. It includes Sam&Max S1-S3 and a lot of other TTG games for 45$.
    edited November 2012
    DjNDB wrote: »
    It's the full version. I recommend buying the Almost Everything pack instead. It includes Sam&Max S1-S3 and a lot of other TTG games for 45$.

I wish I had read about this before I bought the walking dead. I bought the game for about 28 dollars. I would have gotten this. It includes the walking dead but also some other games I haven't tried. I'll give it a try.
  • edited November 2012
    Sam and Max is awesome. It doesn't have the moral choices like TWD, but it still retains the "point and click" method of TWD.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.