Be the Bunny

edited September 2006 in Sam & Max
So I got to thinking,

I want to open up a pandora's box.
Yes the episodic game structure is sound. But I wonder...
Your story IS continuous for you. It seems like you're congratulating yourselves for reinventing the wheel.

What about my experience does it have continuity? Why do want to get this game? I don't feel a need so you need to invent a need.

I'm the player. How much of what I did in the last episode will show itself in the next? I would like to feel like I've left a mark, made a difference.

If Max blows up a chunk of the moon, next episode it better not be whole. And if I busted my butt to get a rocket launcher, and it's not in my inventory in the next game that just... sucks?

Alright, just wanted to know how others feel about this.

Comments

• edited September 2006
    What you need to realise is that these episodes aren't a whole game that has been chopped up into bits, but the episodes are little games in their own right. Sequels. It's like Monkey Island 1, 2, 3, and 4, only they're launched much closer to each other, they're shorter and a lot cheaper. I have no doubt that things will carry over from one episode to the next however (if only the story).
  • edited September 2006
    Ah, that makes sense. :D
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2006
    Also, even though the stories from episode to episode can operate independently of each other, there will be elements and references carried over from previous episodes. As for if you were to blow up the moon in episode 2 would it still be blown up in episode 3? The answer: of course it would, as long as it's funny.
  • edited September 2006
    It's already been said that although each episode in a season will have its own independent story, they will all have a continuing story arc that will be resolved in the exciting season finale. The extent of this is unknown - it could be a proper continuing story parallel to the episodes' stories (with less focus than them until the finale, of course) or it could merely be little clues for the observant, perhaps as simple as a recurring phrase or image, like in the new Doctor Who with its enigmatic concepts of 'Bad Wolf' and 'Torchwood'.
  • edited September 2006
    wow, people pick this apart too much.
    You're not making a business deal, you're just buying a computer game!!!!!!
  • edited September 2006
    wow, people pick this apart too much.
    You're not making a business deal, you're just buying a computer game!!!!!!

The copyright authorities would like us to believe differently.
  • edited September 2006
    So I got to thinking,

I want to open up a pandora's box.
    Yes the episodic game structure is sound. But I wonder...
    Your story IS continuous for you. It seems like you're congratulating yourselves for reinventing the wheel.

What about my experience does it have continuity? Why do want to get this game? I don't feel a need so you need to invent a need.

I'm the player. How much of what I did in the last episode will show itself in the next? I would like to feel like I've left a mark, made a difference.

If Max blows up a chunk of the moon, next episode it better not be whole. And if I busted my butt to get a rocket launcher, and it's not in my inventory in the next game that just... sucks?

Alright, just wanted to know how others feel about this.

Come again? In English, please. I think what's going on in the games is that each part is a stand alone episdode. Like a TV show such as the simpsons. Sure, there may be some continuity but every episode is mostly seperated from the other.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.