Doing research, would appreciate answers

edited March 2008 in General Chat
Hello all,

I'm doing some research for an essay on haptic technology (meaning technology pertaining to the sense of touch, like force feedback or rumble), especially in gaming. I would like to ask anyone who considers themselves a gamer some questions, answers to any (but preferably all) of them. It would also be especially interesting to know what Telltale employees past and present think of these matters, to get the game developer's point of view on haptic technology. Here are some questions I came up with, but feel free to add anything else if you want to. Any help would be mucho appreciated!

Would you say that rumble adds anything to games you are playing? If so, why? If not, why not?

Is rumble or force feedback important to you when playing a game?

If a game lacks rumble or force feedback, do you notice it? Is it only important for you in certain types of games?

Do you use a subwoofer as a form of force feedback when playing games?

Do you think this is a good idea, or would it be overkill?

Would you use a device like this when gaming? If yes, why? If not, why not?

Would you be willing to endure a moderate amount of pain if it would increase the fun you'd have playing a game, like with the PainStation?

What future developments would you like to see in the field of haptic technology?

Comments

• edited November 2007
    Would you say that rumble adds anything to games you are playing? If so, why? If not, why not?
    I'd say that rumble adds a lot of depth to a game, especially if used correctly. For example when a big enemy shouts, the controller could give a quick rumble. Or in a racing game when you are going over rough terrian, the controller will rumble to show this. Rumble is certainly a great feature in controllers and game.

I think I let my opinions out in the first question. Force feedback is important, but if a game doesn't support rumble, it isn't going to make me not buy the game. Having a good use of rumble is a bonus.

If a game lacks rumble or force feedback, do you notice it? Is it only important for you in certain types of games?
    I don't notice if a game doesn't have rumble and it isn't important for me in any certain type of game, but when it does have rumble I notice the use of it and it will improve my thoughts on the game.

No.

It's a good idea, but it is probably a tad too far.

No. Wearing something like that while gaming really wouldn't work for me at all. I'm not sure I'd really want to feel impact on my body. Wearing it would also limit where I could play (for example, bed).

Would you be willing to endure a moderate amount of pain if it would increase the fun you'd have playing a game, like with the PainStation?
    No. I play games for enjoyment, not for pain.

What future developments would you like to see in the field of haptic technology?
    I've really got no idea. Sorry for such a cop out of an answer, but if I had a good idea I'd be selling it! :D

I hope all this post makes sense. My heads a bit crazy as I've been running about upside down on planets too much today (Galaxy).
  • edited November 2007
    Would you say that rumble adds anything to games you are playing? If so, why? If not, why not? Sure, when done properly. Silent hill 2 for instance, did it wonderfully, having the pack shiver and shake when health ran low.

It adds something sure, I remember throwing the controller across the room at one point because it started vibrating when a big scary thing came through the wall, ahahahaha

If a game lacks rumble or force feedback, do you notice it? Is it only important for you in certain types of games? I don't really notice no, it adds something to survival horror and fps games but not really to platformers. I never quite got why Spyro for instance has rumble, it's slightly distracting.

No, but I do turn the bass up loud.

it's interesting and could be implemented well, or it could be crap.

Nah, i'd feel too silly. Besides, I like being able to just pick up a game and play, not have to strap myself into something.

No way, I play games for enjoyment not sadomasichism.

Um, not sure really. I do love the Wii motion control thingie, it makes games a lot more active. I also love dance mats, there's nothing quite like being able to exercise and game at the same time, lol.
    To be honest, the idea of full immersion sort of scares me, things can become a little too real iykwim? I like that there is still a division, that what you see if just in front of you. Though it's only a matter of time before we have fully immersive 3d environments for gaming. Sure it'd be awesome, but it's not practical for household use. Arcades though, well it'd be like laser tag but computer generated. Full surround screens, light guns, team members. See, that'd be cool...
  • edited November 2007
    Thanks for your answers so far, it's much appreciated. :) If anyone else wants to chime in, they're welcome to do so. Meanwhile, I've got some further questions for you both, if you don't mind me being so intrusive. :p
    I hope all this post makes sense. My heads a bit crazy as I've been running about upside down on planets too much today (Galaxy).
    Yeah, the answers do make sense, thanks. :) I'd appreciate it if you could elaborate on why you think rumble makes a game better, though. Is it because it makes you feel more part of the game?
    It adds something sure, I remember throwing the controller across the room at one point because it started vibrating when a big scary thing came through the wall, ahahahaha
    Heh, nice. So you wouldn't have reacted in the same way if you just saw the scary thing coming through the wall?
    To be honest, the idea of full immersion sort of scares me, things can become a little too real iykwim? I like that there is still a division, that what you see if just in front of you.
    That makes sense. It would be a bit like the principle of the uncanny valley then, that games shouldn't become too real; you're saying that this also applies to 'feeling' a game?
  • edited November 2007
    Haggis wrote: »
    Yeah, the answers do make sense, thanks. :) I'd appreciate it if you could elaborate on why you think rumble makes a game better, though. Is it because it makes you feel more part of the game?

Yep, that basically sums up my feelings. It also adds more excitement to the game - take, for example, Mario Galaxy. When one of the bosses is about to come out of the lava, the controller will start shaking to represent how big the boss will be.
  • edited November 2007

It doesn't, most of the time. It felt gimmicky to me in the beginning, and now it just annoys me to the extent that I turn it off in games that have it as a possibility. It feels too artificial to me to convey any sort of feeling or build up a certain atmosphere. Rumble is often used too intensively to work. There are actually a few occasions where it is used well (simulating a heartbeat for example), but most of the time the controller just rumbles like it's going to explode, and I don't like it.

No.

I don't really mind if it's missing or not.

I have a sub, and that actually generates a nice sensation every now and then, but I tend to only notice it when playing dramatic music, not games.

I'd have to try it to say - depends much on the way it is used. I think it could work better than rumble on a controller.

I would definitely try it out. That seems pretty cool. If it works well, I might use it pretty often, not always though. I think it is a great idea.

This kind of a vest would've been so much more fun in military training when fighting with laser-mounted rifles, instead of just a beeping sound when you get hit.

The PainStation seems like a bit of an overkill, but I'd use items like the vest above, giving that it wouldn't cause any injuries (like the PainStation seems to). Pain in small amounts, yes (well I'd give it a try at least) - Injuries, no.

Things like that vest are what I'm most interested about. Also, something to better give the feeling of location when playing an adventure games, for example by changing the temperature and humidity levels of the area around the player, or inserting a wind.
  • edited November 2007
    Rumble adds another interactive venue for games. It might be something a simple as shaking your hands when you're hit, or as immersive as slowly ramping up a "heartbeat" while a timer ticks down.

Is rumble or force feedback important to you when playing a game?Rumble is important (although not as important as a good control scheme, graphics, and story)

I've not played a console game without rumble for a while (most have at least a simple implementation), so I can't really say. Rumble is more important to me for action/adventure games (less so for strategy/RTS games).

I do not.

It is a very interesting idea, but sounds like it might be cost prohibitive. Such a system also seems like overkill for most games/movies which either won't (or don't need to) take full advantage of the system. I would reverse this position if the system was demonstrated to be highly backwards compatible and organically adaptive (I'd love to give it a spin, though :P )

No, but mostly because such a system would be overkill for the games I usually play (platforming, puzzle, RPG), where there is not so much emphasis on Where the rumble happens.

I'm not sure pain would increase my level of fun, so I'd have to say no.

- Perhaps temperature tech? Like, a chair/device that gets colder/hotter depending on the setting?
    - Smell tech. It's the sense with the strongest ties to memory. It'd definitely make experiences pop out when recalling them later.
  • edited November 2007

Yes, it does. It just seems to add more weight to your actions. If you can *feel* the explosion or gunshot as it goes off, even as just a rumble, it gives a bit of immersion.

I've come to expect it in console games, but I don't need it to enjoy them. On the other hand, force feedback in a driving game is a must when using a steering wheel.

I do notice it, since it's become a standard. To answer the second part, I wouldn't want rumble in... say... a solitaire game, or a point-n-click.

No, but good idea :P

The price would be overkill, but the product could be amazing.

If it works as described, yes. The immersion it would bring would be well worth the social faux pas.

Yes. If simulated in the same way the vest (supposedly) is, the mild pain would not be a turn-off. It'd give you a bigger reason to survive in a game, and horror games would become much scarier.

The ability to feel textures. (not like that, you sicko) :P
  • edited November 2007
    it can add depth to a game like f.e. zelda oot with the thing that rumbled as you got close to treasure

depends to which game so if my deathadder vibrated i'd be rather annoyed due to how pecise the mouse is

no i dont notice being as the n64 was my 1st console i really got into (i had a snes and megadrive ii before however)

nope

it is overkill

no it looks un comfortable and i generally want to walk around my house while a game loads

who the hell thought that was a good idea

better vibration units as ones are often annoying if you play too long. and may cause problems later in life
  • edited November 2007
    This might be way too late, but I thought I might chime in with my opinions anyway.

No. for me, it more distracts from, then adds to the experience. especially in cutscenes when it feels extra stupid to have a shaking thing in your hand.

Nope, still think it's kind of a silly idea, but it sometimes work pretty good in some of the genres.

Not really, at least I don't miss it.
    I think the genres rumble works best in, and might even add something to the game experience, is racing and horror games.

No. didn't even know what it was until I looked it up just now, sounds kinda cool.

I would be surprised if that stuffs add more to the experience then it distracts you from it, but maybe, if it's well implemented into the game, it might be kinda cool.
    Most likely not worth the price though.

Maybe...

Could be really awesome in multiplayer games, I just love to cause pain to the people I love (no kidding).

I think Nintendo might be on to something with their Wii-mote. Maybe something with a few more sensors which could simulate a 3d room?
  • edited November 2007
    fajerkaos wrote: »
    This might be way too late, but I thought I might chime in with my opinions anyway.
    No, it's not too late - it'll be a few weeks before I'll even start writing my paper, so anyone willing to say something (more) on the subject, please do! To you and everyone else who has answered my questions so far, thank you very much, this is all very useful. :)
  • edited February 2008
    Hi,

I'm sorry for resurrecting such an old thread, but I just want to thank you all for your responses. I just got my grade back for the essay, and I got a 9.5/10. I couldn't have done it without your help, so thanks a bunch! Now I'm looking into translating the essay from Dutch, the language in which it was written, into English, and putting it online. If anyone is interested in reading it when I'm done with that (don't know when), let me know and I'll keep you posted.
  • edited February 2008
    Hi,

I'm sorry for resurrecting such an old thread, but I just want to thank you all for your responses. I just got my grade back for the essay, and I got a 9.5/10. I couldn't have done it without your help, so thanks a bunch! Now I'm looking into translating the essay from Dutch, the language in which it was written, into English, and putting it online. If anyone is interested in reading it when I'm done with that (don't know when), let me know and I'll keep you posted.

Sure, I'd like to read it. Good job on the score, too! :D
  • edited February 2008
    Hi,

Well done! :) Obviously my post accounted for 9.4 of the grade.
  • edited February 2008
    Obviously my post accounted for 9.4 of the grade.
    Of course. :D I'll be sure to mention you in my Nobel prize acceptance speech. ;)
  • edited February 2008
    sorry my answers were short, i didn't realise how short
  • edited February 2008
    patters wrote: »
    sorry my answers were short, i didn't realise how short
    Hey, that's okay, I actually put in your quote 'who the hell thought that was a good idea' verbatim. :D
  • edited February 2008
    Hey, that's okay, I actually put in your quote 'who the hell thought that was a good idea' verbatim. :D

haha brilliant
  • edited February 2008
    It "could", but totally depends on the game, i think itll suck if you are playing rts games, but it could be good for fps or adventure games.

Not really, they might become distractions.

I dont think its really important, developers should put more effort in story than spending time and money synchronizing the games with these kind of gadgets.

a really cheap one :P

no, use the extra money for a better developed story ;)

Not really.... im not made of money :/

Definitely NO, that's the most stupid thing i've ever heard of.

The only technology i would really see developed for games is a good, or a fayr VR thing, dont know why they seem to make VR games look like they where made in the 80's

Edit, and OOPS, didnt see this was over XD HAHAaa!!
  • jmmjmm
    edited February 2008
    glenfx wrote: »
    It "could", but totally depends on the game, i think itll suck if you are playing rts games, but it could be good for fps or adventure games.

Not really, they might become distractions.

Man, have you tried a racing game with a wheel control and force feedback... [bluster blaster voice]Its totally awesome![/bluster blaster voice]

Throw a couple of friends (or foes) into the mix and you are set for a fierce and fun competition.

Things you can't match:
    a) The sense that you're on the (virtual) road. Drive over a wooden bridge or lose control of your car....force feedback will tell you about those things instead of just watching it on the screen and hearing a few blips
    b) The degree of control you have with a wheel is unmatched and the force feedback effects of the inclines, ramps or any other feature can be used to your advantage
    c) Driving is a lot more real. Last time I checked you just can't make a 90 degree turn as easily as pressing the left or right keyboard buttons.
    d) The feedback you get when you are passing an opponent (Specially if you are taking first place)

Of course, not every kind of game benefits from this, but I would gladly buy a device that moves my chair or creates some kind of motion feedback.
  • edited March 2008
    Hai gaiz! Teh paper is totally online!!!!111 Read it now for teh awesome.
  • edited March 2008
    thats pretty good and i see the quote you said you made. i read most and scanned the rest but it was very interesting
Sign in to comment in this discussion.