Max: Time for some senseless Lucasarts bashing ! Sam: You crack me up, little buddy!

I resurrected every thread I could find that wasn't closed on the subject of Sam and Max and Scumm games in the official Lucasarts forum. As I did that, I counted about 100 closed threads asking for Sam and Max 2 and/or a re-release of the classic adventures in the last year.

Well guys, if you feel like some senseless brutality , sign up for an account and go to town over there. The whole page is full of resurrected MI threads ripe for the spamming, but don't blink - I have a feeling they'll be locked soon enough.

Here's the link to the spammed page. Click.

You can sign up on the main page. Have fun! (disclaimer: remember that senseless brutality will be confined to the premises of Lucasarts' official forums and here, all current rules apply, thus...)

This thread will now let you rant about why you hate Lucasarts. Come on, you know you want to. ;)

Comments

• edited November 2007
    Not a good idea. Most of us have already left the "LucasArts hating" phase behind us, if we went through it at all (I sure did). The only thing you will achieve by spamming the boards there (again) is that the moderator will have one of the worst days in his working life. These messages won't get to the higher ups anyway, and even if they did, they wouldn't change their company policy.
  • edited November 2007
    Senseless LucasArts bashing doesn't exist.

--Erwin
  • edited November 2007
    The Soda Poppers once mentioned LucasArts in one of their songs.
    (probably only me who will get this joke)
  • edited November 2007
    send an e-mail to pr@lucasarts.com that really works
  • edited November 2007
    Haggis wrote: »
    Not a good idea. Most of us have already left the "LucasArts hating" phase behind us, if we went through it at all (I sure did). The only thing you will achieve by spamming the boards there (again) is that the moderator will have one of the worst days in his working life. These messages won't get to the higher ups anyway, and even if they did, they wouldn't change their company policy.

Are you the Haggis of World of MI? If so, I'm glad to see you're here!

While that's very true Haggis, this wasn't so much in the spirit of the past emotional ranting against Lucasarts, but rather a pointless yet wildly enjoyable sense of mild mayhem and mischief. Given the fact that the moderator there has left these threads open, I doubt he'll mind that I'm posting in them - I wasn't really spamming or bumping, as everything was completely relevant and on topic. I merely wanted to illustrate that many many people are asking for an official re-release of the old Scumm games and Monkey Island 5 (which, as we know, would likely be quite popular due to Pirates of the Caribbean).

Also, just a reminder to the good staff of this great forum, I plan to enjoy posting here and keep to the rules completely. The extent of my rule bending ends as soon as I leave Lucasarts forums.
    Erwin wrote: »
    Senseless LucasArts bashing doesn't exist.

--Erwin

Oh snap!

You speak the truth Erwin. The word "senseless" was incorporated to give everything a more Sam-and-Max-esque feel.
    The Soda Poppers once mentioned LucasArts in one of their songs.
    (probably only me who will get this joke)

I actually didn't catch that one, but I've only played the first 2 episodes of Season 1 (though I bought the full season). I'm really enjoying it though - once I start I usually play the whole episode through because it's so hilariously addicting.
    Hero1 wrote: »
    send an e-mail to pr@lucasarts.com that really works

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in your text sir? :p

Nevertheless, I shall take your advice and send a strongly worded, but yet completely politically correct and polite letter to dear old Lucasarts.
  • edited November 2007
    Are you the Haggis of World of MI? If so, I'm glad to see you're here!
    Yes, I am. :)
    While that's very true Haggis, this wasn't so much in the spirit of the past emotional ranting against Lucasarts, but rather a pointless yet wildly enjoyable sense of mild mayhem and mischief. Given the fact that the moderator there has left these threads open, I doubt he'll mind that I'm posting in them - I wasn't really spamming or bumping, as everything was completely relevant and on topic. I merely wanted to illustrate that many many people are asking for an official re-release of the old Scumm games and Monkey Island 5 (which, as we know, would likely be quite popular due to Pirates of the Caribbean).
    Okay, making mischief can be fun, I'll give you that, but like you say yourself, it's pointless. I think by now LucasArts executives are well aware of the still very large demand for adventure games, but I really, really doubt anything would make them change their mind and start making adventure games again. If only because doing so would be admitting defeat - after all, they shouted from the rooftops that adventure games are a thing of the past as far as they're concerned, that they're not lucrative any more. Perhaps LucasArts management are secretly panicking now that they see that companies like Telltale (and many others) can still make money on adventure games. Perhaps they now realize that they made big mistakes in their marketing department, and that was the reason their adventures didn't sell as well as they'd hoped. In any case, they can't just go back to the old situation - they've already committed themselves to making other types of games, mostly focused on the Star Wars franchise, for better or worse.
  • edited November 2007
    In my opinion Haggis, it was always the fault of marketing. Their oldest adventures are still bought today (Amazon's selling a pack of them for $100!), and at the time the games were almost always a gigantic critical success! (It's sort of like the fate of Arrested Development, the recent TV show canceled by Fox. Every single review of the show was shining with praise, yet the marketing department somehow couldn't capitalize on that - as David Cross, the actor who played Tobias attested to).

I hope if Lucasarts are prodded with enough obvious evidence that people still buy adventures, they'll sell the rights to the games or something. I doubt they'd be able to make a good adventure with no adventure TEAM, so the very least they can do as an act of mercy is to let another company make the games the fans are crying for.
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2007
    Are you CallMeSquinky? Egads. Someone's making me look bad!
  • edited November 2007
    Squinky wrote: »
    Are you CallMeSquinky? Egads. Someone's making me look bad!

Yes, but I only used that because I love that line in the Secret of Monkey Island when Guybrush's asked his name and can respond "Call me Squinky." I had absolutely no idea that anyone else would remember the line and like it enough to use it as a name. My apologies if it irks you.
  • edited November 2007
    I still wonder if the market research team are the same idiots who decided that there was no market for Gargoyles Season 2 part 2 and thought "oh I know, the fans have been waiting 10 years for a release of this cartoon so lets not release it to anywhere but the states, yeah.. the european market don't need cartoons". Gah

I say we find that team and lynch em. *grins*

But no, I hate lucasarts still, I always will for what they did. They made terrific games and then they turned their backs on their fans and pissed us all off. Well screw you lucasarts, we've got a new love now and they're called Telltale, they listen to us and give us shiny stuff.

I hope Lucasarts are really hanging their heads in shame now looking at the media coverage not only of Sam and Max but also of all the new adventure games that are being made. No market? bullshit, you just didn't look at the right demographic. Market researcher person, whereever you got your degree in market research and customer psychology, it aint worth the paper it's printed on.
    There will always be a market for adventure games from those of us who lack the manual dexterity to play all other games.
    Bring us more point and click! I'm sick of hybrid adventures, I just suck at shoot-em-ups.
  • edited November 2007
    I still wonder if the market research team are the same idiots who decided that there was no market for Gargoyles Season 2 part 2 and thought "oh I know, the fans have been waiting 10 years for a release of this cartoon so lets not release it to anywhere but the states, yeah.. the european market don't need cartoons". Gah

I say we find that team and lynch em. *grins*

But no, I hate lucasarts still, I always will for what they did. They made terrific games and then they turned their backs on their fans and pissed us all off. Well screw you lucasarts, we've got a new love now and they're called Telltale, they listen to us and give us shiny stuff.

I hope Lucasarts are really hanging their heads in shame now looking at the media coverage not only of Sam and Max but also of all the new adventure games that are being made. No market? bullshit, you just didn't look at the right demographic. Market researcher person, whereever you got your degree in market research and customer psychology, it aint worth the paper it's printed on.
    There will always be a market for adventure games from those of us who lack the manual dexterity to play all other games.
    Bring us more point and click! I'm sick of hybrid adventures, I just suck at shoot-em-ups.

That's just what I wanted to hear! :D

[mock Emperor voice] Feed your anger young one! Feed your hate [/mock Emperor voice]

Well seriously though I don't want to get everyone angry, but rather to emphasize the awesomeness of Telltale. They're working very hard to make great games at affordable prices and they even listen to us on these very forums (I've seen some of Emily's posts). What adventure fan could ask for more? :D
  • edited November 2007
    I've become apathetic toward lucasarts, i'm too lazy to spam them.
  • edited November 2007
    ..and unless they're selling their adventure licenses to someone that knows what to do with it, i don't actually care what lucasarts does. even if they would start making adventure games again, i wouldn't want them anymore.
  • edited November 2007
    That was the whole point wisp - to try to encourage them to sell the adventure rights.
  • edited March 2008
    Lucasarts bashing? Let me try...

[rant]

Hey, LA! Why not try a game based on The Star Wars Holiday Special while you're at it? You've already made games based on everything else in the Star Wars series, and last time I checked, that was untapped potential! Besides, if you'd rather sell that than the Sam & Max game you cancelled, go ahead, and see if millions of people will buy it.

[end rant]
  • edited March 2008
    Spamming Lucas Arts message boards will accomplish nothing but make some poor forum moderators day (or evening) a whole lot more annoying, and the guy likely has absolutely no control over what happens beyond than updating the website, more than likely.

Lucas Arts, to my knowledge, flat out does not own the rights to Sam & Max any more. Those reverted back to Steve Purcell, and obviously we have new Sam & Max games, by some of the very people that had worked on that canceled sequel I know we were all looking forward to. In fact, we have ten and soon to be eleven, new Sam & Max games. Not to mention a plethora of great new art books, poster prints, a fantastic soundtrack, and even a new release of Surf in'.

Do I think that Lucas Arts needs to take their heads out of that dark place near their naughty bits? Indeed. They have let some great properties go to waste because they could not open a web browser and point a search engine at the vast amount of cries from fans of everything from Full Throttle to Monkey Island.

If you really want to make your voice heard, do something like Hero1 suggested. Build a well thought out form letter, allow people to send that to the PR department of Lucas Arts where it will have a better chance of someone whom is in a position to deal with this and present it to the proper people.

Bashing Lucas Arts, a company with more money than they probably know quite what to do with, while maybe fun to some, at the end of the day, is just pointless. Yeah, I miss my Zak McKracken, Maniac Mansion/Day of the Tentacle, Beneath a Steel Sky days. And let us not mention the massive amounts of greatness that came out of Sierra back in those days.

If you take a look around though, Adventure gaming is not nearly as dead as people think. I do not need to mention Telltale, and obviously some titles tied to them like Samorost, but Phoenix Write, Fahrenheit (or Indigo Prophecy as it is known in the states) are just a few of the many great adventure games to come about in the past few years. And we will always have the old classics. I will not even begin with the indie stuff that is out there, and some of it, is absolutely fantastic.

But hey, to each their own, have fun with whatever you guys do (or have not done, I skimmed the thread and based my reply off that, take it for what you will).
  • edited March 2008
    My big beef about LA is that they're too lazy/cheap to burn old games to a disk, stick them in a DVD case with the original art on the front and some random marketing on the back, and ship it out to stores. How difficult/expensive can it possibly be?
    The worst part is that they then go on to complain when people pirate them. If you want the complain that it's hurting you, SELL THE GAMES. Is that such a hard concept to understand?
  • edited March 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    My big beef about LA is that they're too lazy/cheap to burn old games to a disk, stick them in a DVD case with the original art on the front and some random marketing on the back, and ship it out to stores. How difficult/expensive can it possibly be?
    The worst part is that they then go on to complain when people pirate them. If you want the complain that it's hurting you, SELL THE GAMES. Is that such a hard concept to understand?

Huzzah!
  • edited March 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »

You have a beef with Los Angeles?:D

Don't get mad at Lucasarts (or Los Angeles for that matter), just live and let die, let them have their fun making their tired, desperate, Star Wars ridden games (Like Lego Star Wars Holiday Special Combat Battle Racing 3 Director's Cut Special Edition Expansion Pack, or something) and make their easy-street money by squeezing out a franchise. As for publishing the old games in a DVD, just let it go. They rather make games for Angry fanboy nerds with socializing problems and their mom's credit cards than making it for people who likes originality (people like me)

And if a friend or relative buys a game with a title like "Death Star Tycoon" with great excitement, give them a pat on his\her back, and say how sorry you are for him\her. After all, nobody can escape the mighty wrath of fandom, right?

Right now, my favorite game companies are Telltale and Double Fine, so I don't really care for LucasArts, I never liked it for the Star Wars (not much of a fan), I liked it for the adventure games (Guybrush kicks Darth Vader's butt!)

The most Star-Warsy thing that I like right now is Chad Vader.
  • edited March 2008
    There's an expansion pack for Lego Star Wars Holiday Special Combat Battle Racing 3 Director's Cut Special Edition??? YES!!!
  • edited March 2008
    "Death Star Tycoon" would actually be a pretty interesting game. It must suck to put so much effort into managing something that complex and then have it blow up in your face, though.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.