Can't post from Home

edited December 2007 in Site Support
I'm on my school's computers now. They are old. Very old. They run IE and FireFox on the old PCs.

They also have a new iMac lab with intel iMacs. Very fast, very nice. They run Firefox only.

My home PC is only a year old at best. It's not new, but at the same time it isn't as old as these Compaq DeskPro that I'm currently on.

Problem is, I can't post from home. That's right, I'm here at school on TTGF saying I cannot post on the forums at hom. It keeps kicking me back with an Operation Abort prompt in which the only choice is to accept it and get greeted with a 404 "Cannot load page, there's something wrong with your system or the website" screen.

I can read the posts, sure, but what fun is reading if I can't post here?

TTG IT? Help?

Comments

• edited November 2007
    OK. Let's be straight here.

What's the REAL error code?

Can't do much without the real error code, and "there's something wrong with your system or the website" doesn't sound like a 404. 404 is strictly "not found."

If it IS a 404, then you're either mistyping the URL or your entire connection to the internet is bad.
  • edited November 2007
    IE often doesn't report server error codes. Anyway, this is a client-side error, which means there's no HTTP response code associated with it anyway.

A few people have reported this, and only on the forums. It's specific to certain installs of IE, and seems to have just started recently. I haven't touched vBulletin in the last few weeks (and even then only to install an update), so I'm not really sure what's causing it. I'm wondering if a recent windows update might have broken something in IE.
  • edited November 2007
    I'm getting this problem. I can only respond to threads by using the quick reply. I can't even make new topics.
  • edited November 2007
    Me to
  • edited November 2007
    If you have IE7 and there's updates to it, then for some reason it often goes back to default security settings.
    A real pain in the butt...
  • edited December 2007
    Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=47603

Operation aborted."

That is what I am getting when I try to post normally(i.e. not through quick reply). This is NOT an issue with my browser, I tried posting on another forum(Serebii)with vBulletin 3.6.8, and there weren't any problems.

I managed to get the source before the error came up.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/6389jq
    Note that it cuts off at the bottom.
  • edited December 2007
    I'm also having this problem. The only way I could post this was to install Firefox. I will be uninstalling Firefox after this since I'm not switching browsers just to be able to post on one site.
  • edited December 2007
    I just don't like the IDEA of having to download a browser just to view a site. It's like a member's only card for public parking.
  • edited December 2007
    Besides, I dislike using Firefox. I don't know what all the fuss is about over that browser.
  • edited December 2007
    Are IE users still getting this error?
  • edited December 2007
    I'm replying now via IE7 so it looks like something has changed.
  • edited December 2007
    Using IE7 and all is fine and dandy now. Thanks. :)
  • edited December 2007
    Apparently adding json encoding to the Object prototype breaks vBulletin :(
  • edited December 2007
    tabacco wrote: »
    Apparently adding json encoding to the Object prototype breaks vBulletin :(

Apparently, because I can reply now using the quote button.
  • edited December 2007
    Worked fine for me when I posted in Sam VS. Max
  • edited December 2007
    Probably unreleated, but this image no longer works.

navbits_finallink_ltr.gif
  • edited December 2007
    Besides, I dislike using Firefox. I don't know what all the fuss is about over that browser.

Probably the tabbed browsing (which I still like better than IE7's) and all the number of addons for it. Each to their own though.
  • edited December 2007
    About browsers...
    If you wanna continue using tabbed browsing, but DON'T want Firefox, then consider www.maxthon.com :D
    It runs on IE core, but is so much more configurable.
  • edited December 2007
    I like Firefox because it's not a hulking behemoth like IE.

It also helps of course that its extensible.
  • edited December 2007
    Badwolf wrote: »
    Probably the tabbed browsing (which I still like better than IE7's) and all the number of addons for it. Each to their own though.

I don't want to get in to a browser war ;), but I much prefer IE tabs. I do see the advantage in the add-ons, and that is an IE let down. Although IE does have add-ons, not nearly as much as Firefox.
This discussion has been closed.