How often are the Bone games coming out?

edited January 2007 in Bone
The title says it all. How often are the Bone games coming out?

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2006
    Initially they were coming out about every six months, but we are focusing on Sam & Max right now so you probably won't see another Bone game until Sam & Max: Season 1 is done, and then you might see them on a different schedule than what we were doing initially. We're learning a lot about how to produce games episodically, that will probably affect how we move forward with Bone in the long run.
  • edited September 2006
    SIX MONTHS!!! Wow. You were right when you said one a month was the fastest any episodic game game out.
  • edited September 2006
    A different schedule for Bone, eh? I've seen this hinted at more than once. Is it natural to assume that this will affect the games' length as well? Shorter, more frequent episodes like Sam & Max as opposed to gobs of the epic twice a year? Wouldn't it be a bit jarring for Bone to switch from "mini-series" to "sitcom" midway or am I assuming too much here?

True, a 5-6 month wait for each game isn't ideal, but when you have other series being developed concurrently the content is still steady. I guess what I'm saying is that I kind of like the variety. It's awesome to have Sam & Max monthly but I can appreciate a more deliberately paced release for a series like Bone at the same time, especially when it's something epic that will have a definite close.

Is it Telltale's plan to eventually reach a point where each license follows the same release/size/pricing pattern or will it vary between them? Was the decision to make Bone one way and Sam & Max another based on the license itself or on finding a better episodic model? Or a mixture of both?
  • edited September 2006
    Initially they were coming out about every six months, but we are focusing on Sam & Max right now so you probably won't see another Bone game until Sam & Max: Season 1 is done, and then you might see them on a different schedule than what we were doing initially. We're learning a lot about how to produce games episodically, that will probably affect how we move forward with Bone in the long run.

Nice reply. Topical and eloquent, yet vague. A "different schedule", eh? I hope that doesn't mean "less frequently". I think it's kinda hard to keep excited about a continuing series when you've got half a year to wait between each of them. Ideally, I'd like to see a new episode released every three to four months. But what do I know? I am, and will remain for the next few years, a wannabe.
    edited September 2006
    I'm the queen of eloquent yet vague replies. That's why I do PR. :D
  • edited November 2006
    Are you going to do one episode for every graphic novel? All 9 of them?
    edited November 2006
    Not necessarily. Some games may contain more than one book... whatever turns out to be the best way to tell the story.
  • edited November 2006
    But I mean you're going to finish the story right? All the way through?

Also is Jeff Smith nice?
  • edited November 2006
    Duate wrote: »
    Are you going to do one episode for every graphic novel? All 9 of them?

Because if I remember, almost one entire book is them wandering around avoiding "ghost circles" good book, would not make for a good game.
  • edited November 2006
    Duate wrote: »
    Also is Jeff Smith nice?

I can confirm that Jeff Smith is, in fact, nice.
    edited November 2006
    Mimekiller wrote: »
    Because if I remember, almost one entire book is them wandering around avoiding "ghost circles" good book, would not make for a good game.

Yeah, that's the reasoning. Eyes of the Storm is an interesting book, but it would be very hard to turn it into an equally interesting game.
  • edited January 2007
    man, i cant take it anymore, i need the next one!!
  • edited January 2007
    Don't wine a lot or they will become another Lucas evil spirit ;)
  • HeatherleeHeatherlee Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2007
    Udvarnoky wrote: »
    Was the decision to make Bone one way and Sam & Max another based on the license itself or on finding a better episodic model? Or a mixture of both?

A mixture of both. The episodic model is a really new approach and so, as with anything new, there will always be recallibration until we find what really works best. But along with that, its important to us to do what feels right for the license. Bone is a very different license than Sam & Max and they are both very different than CSI. Just as we wouldn't make Bone into a generic action-adventure game (Smiley's banjo attack!) it also isn't our preference to shoehorn it into a certain production model that doesn't fit it.
  • edited January 2007
    Thanks, Heather!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.