New Ron Gilbert game announced!!!

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2008
    Sweet! It seems like he's been hauling that game around for ages. Glad he found Hothead.
  • edited January 2008
    Fantastic news! I wish them the best of luck. The part about Diablo-like gameplay scares me a little though. Diablo was a grind. Still, I'll be keeping an eye on Deathspank. Sounds very interesting and I can't wait for more Info.

I'm still hoping it's more Adventure and RPG than Action.
  • edited January 2008
  • edited January 2008
    First it was Sam & Max...
    ...then Brutal Legend...
    ...and now, Deathspank...

...OMG, IT'S THE RETURN OF THE LIVING FORMER LUCASARTS ADVENTURE GAME DESIGNERS!!!
  • edited January 2008
    fco. wrote: »
    ...then Brutal Legend...

...OMG, IT'S THE RETURN OF THE LIVING FORMER LUCASARTS ADVENTURE GAME DESIGNERS!!!
    You forgot A Vampyre Story!

Anyway, I'll wait with getting excited until I learn something more about this game...
  • edited January 2008
    OMG! yay! I'll be keeping a close eye on this one
  • edited January 2008
    And don't forget to launch some searing insults at the assheads that have insulted (and even threatened to kill) Sam & Max in the blog.
  • edited January 2008
    Also, should be noted, if you don't know already, that Ron Gilbert is helping out on Penny Arcade's game as well.
  • edited January 2008
    Good news! Because:

1) More episodic games!
    2) More episodic games trying to do something different!
    3) People will stop nagging us and start nagging Hothead to make another Monkey Island game!

Good luck to them.
  • edited January 2008
    Chuck wrote: »
    3) People will stop nagging us and start nagging Hothead to make another Monkey Island game!

Good luck to them.

haha.. nice one
  • edited January 2008
    Ooh... that gives me an idea no one has ever thought of before... TTG should make a monkey island game... OMG
  • edited January 2008
    Dedlok wrote: »
    Also, should be noted, if you don't know already, that Ron Gilbert is helping out on Penny Arcade's game as well.
    ..which is also produced by hothead, right? hmm, strange..it's almost as if there might be a connection somewhere...
  • edited January 2008
    Very excited about this one. Reminds me of Lewis Trondheim's Donjon...
  • edited January 2008
    Hothead Games and Ron Gilbert are pleased to announce DeathSpank. Described as "Monkey Island meets Diablo", the game will be released in episodic format and feature Gilbert's unique style of humor and storytelling.

The episodic game follows the thong-tastic adventures of a misguided hero named DeathSpank, a character that first appeared on Gilbert's Grumpy Gamer web site in a series of animated comics.

Sounds amazing, I'm a huge fan of both Diablo and Monkey Island :)
  • edited January 2008
    ...then Brutal Legend...

You missed Psychonauts, which was such an underrated and hilarious game..
  • edited March 2008
  • edited March 2008
    Visti wrote: »
    You missed Psychonauts, which was such an underrated and hilarious game..

It was nominated for a dubious award; best game no one played, which was funny, in a sad way... (btw, did it win? i forgot)

Also, I read that Deathspank will be a satirical stick-it-to-them adventure game, and that's the best kind!
  • edited March 2008
    i absolutely adored psychonauts. also... deathspank FTW!
  • edited March 2008
    Did Ron not want this to be Telltale-made? Anyway, I'm looking forward to what becomes of his game. Hothead look like some cool people (especially with the Penny Arcade stuff too).
  • edited March 2008
    Did Ron not want this to be Telltale-made?

(...or maybe Telltale was one of those publishers who turned him down?)

nah.. probably he just went with the people he was working with at the moment.
  • edited August 2008
    First teasers!
    http://grumpygamer.com/6338868

Freaking hilarious stuff.
  • edited August 2008
    And don't forget to launch some searing insults at the assheads that have insulted (and even threatened to kill) Sam & Max in the blog.

Ummmmm...Who are you talking about?And, if possible, be specific.
  • edited August 2008
    OMG! OMG! OMG! I love the new trailers! :) :) :) :)
  • edited August 2008
    First teasers!
    http://grumpygamer.com/6338868

Freaking hilarious stuff.

Looks freakin' sweet!
  • edited August 2008
    *shrugs* The teasers didn't get me very excited, I must say. Pretty funny though!
  • edited August 2008
    I thought the teasers were awesome! The music sounds great!

And three words:

THONG OF JUSTICE!:D

EDIT: The website has a new coming soon.... ish pic, as well!
  • edited August 2008
    The teasers didn't get me hyped up for this game either, which is a bad thing seeing as I have been looking forward to Gilbert's next game for a long time. Hopefully future trailers will get me excited.
  • edited August 2008
    EDIT: The website has a new coming soon.... ish pic, as well!

awsome! and i think i've got a new signature...
  • edited September 2008
    Telltale needs to contact Gilbert, like, now-ish and put him to work.

Though, I doubt it'd be remotely possible to pull the rights of Monkey Island away from LucasArts.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    Telltale needs to contact Gilbert, like, now-ish and put him to work.

Why would we do that? Just speaking for myself here, but I think that right now Gilbert is finally getting to make the game he's been trying to do for probably the last five years, if not longer. It seems like a weird wish to make, you know, to demand that someone actively try to stop the existence of a the first new Ron Gilbert series in ages and ages, in favor of sequelizing a 20 year old game which already has three followups. I've wanted to see Ron Gilbert get to make a new not-for-kids game since basically the moment I beat Monkey Island 2 in 1992, and, well, now one's being made. I don't know if I'd want to ask for somehing else at this exact moment in time.
  • edited September 2008
    Oh, I didn't mean not allowing DeathSpank to be completed or released. No, no, no. I want to be very clear that after seeing those short teasers, I am VERY stoked for this game.

I just mean that he would be a great fit among the rest of the TT writers and developers.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.