S&M s3 e5 spoiler. Ending. What's going on?

edited January 2013 in Sam & Max
Hello

Max dies and comes back alive. Exactly how does this happen? I remember something about a time machine in past seasons but how is this relevant? How does max know the exact time and space to warp to? It has been some time since previous seasons so I am rusty.

Also what's the big deal of everyone dying in tt games?

Morgan leflay
Lee
Max

It is not the same as lucasarts mixing alcohol and medicine together in monkey 3

Comments

• edited December 2012
    In Season 2 Sam and Max travel back in time and meet themselves, only the past selves steal their time machine. That's where the "new" Max comes from. (Anyway, he's already died once or twice in the comic strip)
  • edited December 2012
    Ok, so if past max has the time machine, how does he know that real-time max needs replacing?
  • edited December 2012
    You're not supposed to be reading that much into a Sam & Max story. :) But let's just say that because that Max lost his Sam in the same way, he decided to go looking for the other Sam that was left behind. Time paradoxes defy logic.
  • edited December 2012
    Are you suggesting something may happen that we don't know about? It seems fair but I'm not happy about it. I get that the Sam and max universe is nuts and that's cool. But max existing doesn't fit the nonsense. They're probably gonna explain in season 4. I should point out I'm waiting for Morgan leflay return in tales of mi 2. It's not good story telling nor a cliffhanger. It's just a pain in the Sybil.

On a side note, does anyone know what Sybil, er, poops? :rolleyes:
  • edited December 2012
    Maybe time paradox Max went to the future in the time machine found out that the original Max died and worked out the time of death to go to.
  • edited December 2012
    Hee Ho Ho wrote: »
    Ok, so if past max has the time machine, how does he know that real-time max needs replacing?

When the other Sam & Max stole the time machine, they created a parallel universe and went on their own set of adventures. In that universe it was Sam who inherited the Toys of Power and died at the end, so when parallel Max meets our Sam at the end of TDP they've both recently lost their partner. Reunited in a sense, these two team up and set off to go on another whole new set of adventures together. Follow?
  • edited December 2012
    it's all speculation not very good. in my opinion. i want to know what happens about morgan in tales. is that going to happen? not likely

it reminds me of ubisoft. they just can't kill off the assassin's creed series. 1 story across 5 games and at the end of assassin's creed 3, i still have no idea what's going on.
  • edited December 2012
    it's all speculation not very good. in my opinion.

It's actually not speculation. Max flat out says it. (Jump to about 4.40 in that video and watch to about 5.30.)
    i want to know what happens about morgan in tales. is that going to happen? not likely

Yeah, it's a long shot that we'll ever see a Tales 2.
  • edited December 2012
    ok cool, so in a parallel universe, it is sam.

then max time warps conveniently. is he that smart? sam is the smart one. max wouldn't know how to, for example, operate a time machine. right? besides, doesn't that time machine work by having cards connected to the place? i.e. how did max get the card?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2012
    Max would technicaly not be traveling through time using the elevator, but jumping through alternate timelines or dimensions, which is what makes absolutely no sense. None of it makes sense. You probably have to just roll with it.

Season One Sam & Max steal the time machine from Season Two Sam & Max in episode 204, Chariots of the Dogs. You never see what happens to the Season One doppelgangers after that. Apparently they end up on their own timeline having their own surprisingly similar but mirrored adventures, where Sam starts having crazy problems (apparently involving electromagnitism?) and becomes a giant monster at the end who Max has to take part in destroying. Presumably this is happening at the exact same time as we're seeing Max become a crazy psychic monster who Sam has to destroy, but on another timeline. The alternate timeline Max has the Mariachi's elevator though so he is able to... somehow (??) travel to our Sam, where the two can reunite having just lost and rediscovered their best friend.

Explanation I am making up right now: I imagine that Max somehow jumped backwards in time to before the precipitating event which forked the timelines, and then jumped forward from there until he found Sam alone. Maybe. That probably didn't happen, though.
  • edited December 2012
    My brain has officially exploded. Lol :o

Lee's in the time machine right? By time traveling, he is the first zombie. What a paradox! :)
  • edited December 2012
    f1WUn.jpg
  • edited December 2012
    i disagree, logic works just the ending doesn't. it isn't a proper ending. jake explains it with lots of holes. it will have to do. the rest of the wacky world of sam and max makes sense. it's just nuts. that's all

edit - i mean, there are 2 theories. either max can warp by himself, which makes no sense as the story hasn't shown that part. i.e. we're creating our own story.

or he uses the elevator, which again, card?
  • edited December 2012
    It's not that hard. He doesn't have a card for that particular moment, but then again, he could time-travel to the time Bosco's scanner existed and scan someone else with it/ask Bosco to modify the scanner so it printed a specific date.
  • edited December 2012
    are you suggesting max is smart?
  • edited December 2012
    Alternate Sam could be smart. Maybe he used his psychic powers to print up all necessary cards, including the one needed after he would explode. :)
  • edited December 2012
    What? Of course Max is smart. He's the one who does the lateral thinking.
  • edited December 2012
    Proof Max's smart: he was able to overthrown a tyrant while he was only a brain in a jar.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited December 2012
    Max doesn't walk around aimlessly, say inappropriate things, and do dangerous things because he's not smart, he does them because he has a short attention span and acts on impulse (see the lyrics to World of Max).

The way I saw the ending wasn't that Max came in from an alternate timeline (Sam did refer to him as "past Max" not "alternate reality Max"), but that he was having a similar adventure somewhere else with past Sam (like how Flint Paper said he was having a very similar adventure to Sam & Max during Season One). The way I saw it, the Sam & Max we were following were paradoxes (because when the past Sam & Max stole the time machine they had to complete the events of Situation Comedy completely different since they didn't have the recording contract). The past Sam & Max continued on, changing things, making the Sam & Max we were following become out of sync with the timeline. When past Sam was killed after he became a giant monster, past Max took the time booth (which he could still have, since the events of Season Two would be completely different, and because they were different he could still have the card programmer. So, he could have scanned anyone from Season Three to get to Sam's present place in time - even possibly Sam himself, because it's not known whether the past Sam & Max ever scanned past Sam and whether the scan would lead to the same place in time since the events were different).

Since Max acts on impulse, it would make sense that since past Max still has the time machine, he'd have been randomly scanning people during his adventures with past Sam and that he'd use those cards to travel around aimlessly after past Sam died. It's likely that the machine taking him to Sam was completely unknown to him since Max looked surprised at the machine taking him to Sam as well.

And, as for the two Sams and two Maxes in one universe paradox, I look at it like Bender's Big Game. One Max was killed and one Sam was killed, now there's only one Sam and only one Max, as it should be. So, the universe corrected itself.
  • edited December 2012
    Jennifer wrote: »
    And, as for the two Sams and two Maxes in one universe paradox, I look at it like Bender's Big Game. One Max was killed and one Sam was killed, now there's only one Sam and only one Max, as it should be. So, the universe corrected itself.

So what would happen if 100 Maxes hid under the office after using time travel?
  • edited December 2012
    So what would happen if 100 Maxes hid under the office after using time travel?

Season 4 would begin.
  • edited January 2013
    I dunno, it make sense to me.

When Sam and Max screwed up the timeline by stealing their future selves' time machine, they pretty much were left to have their own adventures. We don't know the details of what happened, other than the ones Max gave us (Sam becoming an electromagnetic monster and being killed in some delightful, terrible way)
    You can think of it as the ending of their own personal Season 3 we never got to see.
    Personally, I like the idea that Sam wound up becoming the monster in the timestream where the duo had a time machine, since it implies they unintentionally screwed with events that would have set The Devil's Playhouse in motion and wound up causing....whatever happened.

As for Max knowing he was meant to replace his friend, you're giving him too much credit. This is Max we're talking about. He was probably aimlessly jumping around until he found Sam, without any sort of forethought about things like his doppleganger.
    I assume he would have just tried to kill him and take his place.
    (Sorta) fortunately, he happened upon Sam experiencing a similar partner-loss situation.

The more you think about it, the more perfectly Sam & Max the whole ending is. They enjoy the hell out of what they do, and completely disregard anything besides their main goal.
    The pair altered the beginning of the universe, just to get a chicken. They even have their own wing of hell, for chrissakes.

So that whole elevator thing was a fun change of pace: to only see the consequence of that kind of universe-altering side effect, rather than the act itself. Not that they care. For anybody else, this friend-from-a-different-timestream thing would have been a problem, but Sam & Max would just shrug it off.
    It doesn't matter whether it's the "real" partner, just that they got their friend back.
  • edited January 2013
    I think it is a happy ending and It may be a bit paradoxy but it is Sam and Max what do you expect

It parallel past Max and Sam and Max live happily ever after

It doesn't need explaining it just leaves the future open and allows for a possible happy ending
  • edited January 2013
    People really need to stop trying to find logic in this game and realize they're playing Sam & Max :P
Sign in to comment in this discussion.