Family Guy thread

edited February 2013 in General Chat
Hi everyone, I made this thread so everyone can talk about what i think is one of the funniest series. You can talk about anything Family guy like the characters , episodes,the movie (Stewie Griffin the untold story), the games and anything Family Guy related. Also expect Darth Marsden to come in this thread to inform us about the new Family Guy game :D.

Comments

• edited December 2012
    It's my second favourite cartoon and I love the musical episodes. Seth MacFarlane's voice is amazing. Never played any of the games though, should check them out.

Family Guy (along with cracked.com) taught me everything I know about Star Wars.
  • edited December 2012
    Somehow I knew, just KNEW, that this thread would come into existence the moment you mentioned the games in the 'Telltale should make' thread. You're as predictable as the sun rising, Ryan.

On topic - DO NOT PLAY THE GAMES. Neither is any good. The first is borderline broken in places (Hi forced stealth sections that barely work!) and the second is just... boring. And I should know. I played it to write a collectables guide. FOUR TIMES.

...wait.
    Also expect Darth Marsden to come in this thread to inform us about the new Family Guy game :D.

...well played, Ryan. Well played.
  • edited December 2012
    Somehow I knew, just KNEW, that this thread would come into existence the moment you mentioned the games in the 'Telltale should make' thread. You're as predictable as the sun rising, Ryan.

On topic - DO NOT PLAY THE GAMES. Neither is any good. The first is borderline broken in places (Hi forced stealth sections that barely work!) and the second is just... boring. And I should know. I played it to write a collectables guide. FOUR TIMES.

...wait....

...well played, Ryan. Well played.

1.Your predictable too Darth ;)

2.I was thinking about making a Family Guy thread for a while, I just decided to make the thread today :)
  • edited December 2012
    First few seasons were good. Then they got cancelled. And unlike Futurama, when Family Guy came back, it wasn't the same. The series is now mostly about torturing Meg Griffin, Stewie Griffin's homosexuality, unnecessary violence, fart/vomit/crap jokes, and racial/religious/sexual bigotry. The only Family Guy episodes that I enjoy from their more modern run are the Star Wars ones.
  • edited December 2012
    Man, this thread is worse than the time I went on a leisurely activity with a C-list celebrity from the 80's.
  • edited December 2012
    First few seasons were good. Then they got cancelled. [...] The series is now mostly about torturing Meg Griffin, Stewie Griffin's homosexuality, unnecessary violence, fart/vomit/crap jokes, and racial/religious/sexual bigotry.
    I find some of their episodes have their moments (for example, I very much enjoyed Mr & Mrs Stewie, which was probably due to Stewie himself being very much like his old pre-gay-jokes persona), but on the whole the show has long run its course and is more about doing things for shock value, focusing on the elements Shadowkinght mentions, rather than because it has anything interesting to say or do.
  • edited December 2012
    I think Stewie Griffin the untold story is good enough. I also enjoy season 4 and a couple other seasons.
  • edited December 2012
    It's badly done Vaudeville style humor. That is all.
  • edited December 2012
    Unfortunately, Family Guy shows what the current trend is in television and in modern media in general. It's not about the 20+ or 30+ demography, it's all about the teens nowadays. Just look at video games. Stuff that is rated M for mature isn't always thematically mature. Just because something has a lot of language or violence, or sex, doesn't mean it's immediately mature.

A lot of what Family Guy tries to do is bring up mature topics, but the one thing they're doing wrong, or actually two things, is the fact that they over-simplify the issues and make it a parody. It's not even satyrical, it's straight-up a parody of a satyre. Not the Spaceballs / Men In Tights kind of parody, the Disaster Movie kind.
  • edited December 2012
    Well, Family Guy Online is going offline early next year.
  • edited December 2012
    There was a Family Guy Online?
  • edited December 2012
    After playing Family Guy Time Warped for the Ipad, I will say it's pretty fun and has some nice references to episodes for example at the end of level 3 boss Stewie will start talking to Brian with a walkie talkie and ends the talk by saying ''It's important to say over on a walkie talkie'' and then it shows a video of the scene where Brian and Stewie are trying to fix up a house from the episode Peter's Daughter.
  • edited December 2012
    for example at the end of level 3 boss Stewie will start talking to Brian with a walkie talkie and ends the talk by saying ''It's important to say over on a walkie talkie''
    The original walkie talkie conversation's in Back to the Multiverse. Like, verbatim. *sigh*
  • edited December 2012
    You really don't like Back to the Multiverse do you?
  • edited December 2012
    It could, and should, have been so much better than the utterly generic and boring game it ended up as.

Also, I swear every single soundbite played during a level that's not directly related to the plot (and hell, even a few that are) is taken STRAIGHT from the TV show. Every. Single. One.
  • edited December 2012
    But what are the main points that make it bad? I watched a few levels on Youtube and it didn't look that bad.
  • edited December 2012
    The gameplay is incredibly generic and gets old very, very fast, as does the 'humour', which really isn't all that funny and exists more for shock value than anything else (a bit like the show then - zing!). The weapons are mostly useless and the ones that aren't are all wielded by Brian (I swear, apart from one brief section in the second level you don't even need Stewie at all in this game), the level design is average at best, the constant soundbites wear old quick and it's, mercifully, very short, being around 6-8 hours. Finally, the additional challenges are absurdly basic and require very little thought or effort, and the whole experience felt half-arsed.

Additionally, the PC port is very lazy, with only 6 or so resolution options, none of which fit my monitor, so the whole game looked awful, like it had a weird haze to it. The controls are... questionable, and I didn't even know you could check your objectives until I went and checked the options menu.

I'd have been much more forgiving if it were a downloadable game, since a lot of those issues are common amongst the 'genre', if you will. Unfortunately, it got a £40/$60 retail release. And it's not worth half that.
  • edited December 2012
    I wish Activision would have shown more of it. It was shown at E3 with some screenshots then we didn't hear about it till it was like a few weeks before it was meant to be out and again i think those were only screenshots then finally the trailer came ether the day before it came out or when the game came out.
  • edited December 2012
    DAISHI wrote: »
    It's badly done Vaudeville style humor. That is all.

Vern_and_Johnny.png
    Did someone say Vaudeville!?

Personally, I'm tired of the show. I don't really feel like there's any difference in quality since it returned from the dead, just that the "hey this reminds me of the time I [random past tense action] with [random pop culture reference]" schtick has sort of worn out it's welcome. I wouldn't say I hate it, it doesn't make me auto-change the channel or anything, but I'm hardly ever psyched to see it anymore either.
  • edited December 2012
    There was a Family Guy Online?

TgW1s.png

It's so....awful.
  • edited December 2012
    It's so....awful.

At least your doing as the game tells you, by telling everyone about 'Family Guy Online'... and how awful it is.
  • edited December 2012
    Well i got Family Guy Back to the Multiverse as a christmas present. I don't think it's that bad actually i kinda think it's fun. But i liked the first Family Guy game too. Darth i have a question. If i start collecting stuff in 1 level for the secondary objective, for example the Brian and Stewie Wanted posters from Level 2 then if i finish the level and replay it to find the rest of the collectables do i have to collect the ones i already collected again or do the save after you finish the level?
  • edited December 2012
    IIRC, all the collectables respawn any time you replay a level, meaning you'll have to collect them all again - EXCEPT for the very last level (you'll know it when you get to it - it's the final showdown with Bertram), where you can only collect them the once, and then they're gone forever, which made writing my guide a pain in the arse.

My guide's on GameFAQs if you need it, by the way. Not linking straight to it because I wanna make you work for it.
  • edited December 2012
    My guide's on GameFAQs if you need it, by the way. Not linking straight to it because I wanna make you work for it.

Or since it's Christmas, You can't be bothered could you :D
  • edited December 2012
    Or since it's Christmas, You can't be bothered could you :D
    I jolly well could, thank you very much. I just didn't want you using it all the time. I know just how seductive it can be to use FAQs when they're sitting right there in front of you.
  • edited February 2013
    Well i decided to try and finish Family Guy Back to the Multiverse and all i can say is right now i'm pissed off with it. I'm on the Chickens in Space level and i'm stuck on it. No not because its hard. It's because i got the freeze glitch twice when you use the weapon wheel to switch characters :/.
  • edited July 2013
    I know not a lot of people didn't like Family Guy Back to the Multiverse but what about the first game for PS2,XBox, and PSP? Personally I like it and I like it better than Back to the Multiverse.
  • edited July 2013
    So...Family Guy and The Simpsons are going to have a crossover episode.
  • edited July 2013
    The episode actually sounds funny. It will be funny to see Stewie and Bart pulling pranks and Meg & Lisa with Lisa trying to find something that Meg is good at.
  • edited July 2013
    I know not a lot of people didn't like Family Guy Back to the Multiverse but what about the first game for PS2,XBox, and PSP? Personally I like it and I like it better than Back to the Multiverse.
    Oh, Ryan. Ryan, Ryan, Ryan.

Both are shit, but the original was shit was a capital 'ssssssssss'.

The first game had three sections - Peter's lacklustre fighting sections, Stewie's lacklustre shooting sections and Brian's FLAT-OUT BROKEN stealth sections.

It was a terrible, terrible game. So bad I never even finished it, which I did with Back to the Multiverse (finished several times, mostly to do the FAQ). Just an awful waste of time and money, and the fact you think it's BETTER than BttM is deeply, deeply disturbing.

Shadow - it was kind of inevitable, really. I kind of wonder how dirty it will be (probably not at all, gotta appeal to the wider demographics and all).
  • edited July 2013
    1.First its my opinion.
    2.There was way more effort put into the first game. They didn't just reuse the lines from the series. They made their own lines and put several cutaways into it and made it interactive. The game was longer. It also had different kinds of gameplay. Again my opinion but then again its been years since I did a full playthrough of it so maybe I should replay it.
  • edited July 2013
    1.First its my opinion.
    True, and it's an opinion I very much disagree with. But still, yeah. Point made.
    2.There was way more effort put into the first game. They didn't just reuse the lines from the series. They made their own lines and put several cutaways into it and made it interactive.
    Also true. So the script was better, but the gameplay was worse. Double edged sword.
    The game was longer.
    Again, true. That's not automatically a good thing though!
    It also had different kinds of gameplay.
    Yet again, true. I did half-point that out. Excluding the minigames, there were two 'meh' styles of gameplay and one horrendously awful stealth aspect. Those Brian sections were the bane of my existence for my entire playing experience and they were the reason I gave up on the game.
    Again my opinion but then again its been years since I did a full playthrough of it so maybe I should replay it.
    Please do so. Maybe you'll find your memories are making it seem better than it is. I get that a lot - good examples are when I replayed Bad Day LA and Drake of the 99 Dragons for my reviews. SO much worse than I remember.
  • edited July 2013
    I'll make this clear though. Just because I do like the game does not mean there are parts that don't annoy me. For example I do remember not liking Peter's sections that much and I hated the level where Stewie shrinks down and goes into Peter to find Bertram's place in it so he can find out his plans. If I remember right, there was annoying platforming including a part where if you fall you start at the beginning, I used to hate the Lois minions because they were annoying and repeated lines while requiring Stewie to keep running to cover or he dies and you have to restart the entire section. I will admit I liked the end where Stewie had to do something to Peter's brain by turning things into food.

Also I did like Brian's sections thinking they were the best section of the game. Again opinions and all that and it may be because at that time I didn't play MGS which I only recently got into with MGR, the PS Vita collection and I got the PS1 Classic during the #Playstation memories sale and I have not played Sly at that point so I might not have known how good stealth sections so again if I replayed I could hate them. But in my opinion best to worst was Brian-Stewie-Peter.

Peter's sections just felt repetitive after a few levels and that Black Knight boss was a pain in the ass, I will give them that the Giant Chicken fight & Bertram fight was good.
  • edited July 2013
    Shadow - it was kind of inevitable, really. I kind of wonder how dirty it will be (probably not at all, gotta appeal to the wider demographics and all).

I hope so. Family Guy was funnier before they hit the gross-out/perversion streak they've been on.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.