So. What games are you playing right now?

edited September 2006 in General Chat
I assume you're not all sitting about waiting and refreshing your internet browsers every few minutes just in case Telltale releases Sam and Max early. What games are you playing just now? Me, I've been going crazy on eBay and Trademe lately, getting rid of most of my new games and buying old ones. Subsequently I find myself sitting in front of my computer playing The Dark Eye, The Last Express, and Discworld Noir.

The Dark Eye -although lacking in actual gameplay- is quite superb, especially as I've recently discovered the exciting world of Edgar Allen Poe's stories. The use of puppets as characters is interesting but very nicely done, and actually playing out the stories perfectly aware of what's going to hapen is highly gripping stuff, especially as you play as the victim and the victimiser.

The Last Express is pretty damn awesome. I've been wanting to play this game for years and have finally got myself a copy. What's to say about it? I love the art style.

Ah, Discworld Noir. Two of my favourite things: Terry Pratchett's Discworld and Film Noir, together at last (yes, I'm aware it's actually been out for many years now). Exploring Ankh Morpork and seeing people and places you recognize from the books is a lot of fun.

Comments

• edited September 2006
    When I'm not busy studying or refreshing my Internet browser... I play Civilization 4, for which I've recently acquired the Warlords expansion. It doesn't add a lot to the game, but what it does add makes it a bit more interesting to play, and the scenarios are a lot better than in the original game. I wish they would put in the Netherlands as a civilization though, but maybe they're saving that for the next expansion.

And I've always wanted to play Discworld Noir (I loved the original Discworld game), but I can't for the life of me figure out where to buy it, and I don't want to get it on eBay or anything, because of the (usually) insane shipping costs.
  • edited September 2006
    man I haven't really played a new game since the great cow race.. working my way through grim fandango as well..
  • edited September 2006
    Touché: Adventures Of The 5th Musketeer.
    This game is an eye-blinking to every LucasArts great adventure, do yourself a gift and play it, if you haven't before.
  • edited September 2006
    Animal Crossing, Meteos, God of War and Rome: Total War, though I've mainly only had time for Animal Crossing in the last week.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2006
    The game I played most recently was King's Quest IV (my review of it will go up on Adventure Gamers in the near future).

I'm hoping to spend the weekend with Dreamfall, if my below-spec computer can handle it. It's installing right now...

Oh, and I'm still plugging away at Phoenix Wright (have been for months now). I don't want it to end so I'm playing it in very small bursts. I'm partway through the last case.
  • edited September 2006
    I'm playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 for PC and Daxter for Sony PSP. I want to get Loco Roco pretty soon. Also, I just subscribed to GameTap, so with that and my current huge backlog of games, I'm pretty busy there.

Oh, right, and Oblivion for XBox 360. It's kind of on hold now. Maybe until I can find a cheap but decent HDTV. Or after I finish KOTOR 2.

And somewhere in the middle of all this, I plan to knock out a few adventure games like Dreamfall, And Then There Were None, Voyage, and The Black Mirror.
  • edited September 2006
    Shit, I forgot I'm halfway through Voyage (or as it's so thrillingly titled in Australia... Journey to the Moon *clunk*) too.

I've also got Another Code, Metroid Prime: Hunters, New Super Mario Bros, Mario and Lugi: Partners in Time and Feel the Magic en route to me, so I'm going to be busy for quite a while.
  • edited September 2006
    I never beat the first Sam & Max so i'm rushing through it. I'm also playing Tales of Symphonia. If you have a gamecube (or you're getting the Wii) get this game. It rocks HARD!!! I'm also playing Chrono Cross, fresh from Ebay.
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2006
    Chrono Cross was good, though I never finished it because it was just too biiiig. I kinda liked Chrono Trigger better.
  • edited September 2006
    Chrono Cross was good, though I never finished it because it was just too biiiig. I kinda liked Chrono Trigger better.

I never played Chrono Trigger.
  • edited September 2006
    I wish I was playing LEGO Star Wars II right now. Alas, no spare time nor money for probably another 2 weeks.

:(
  • edited September 2006
    Who'd a thought that adding Lego to Star Wars could equate into such a... not crap game? Certainly surprised me. Also, I am currently the last poster in all the featured threads on the "List all forums" page. That's pretty cool.
  • edited September 2006
    I wish I was playing LEGO Star Wars II right now. Alas, no spare time nor money for probably another 2 weeks.

:(

Rent it. Simple as that.
  • edited September 2006
    Mr. Public (may I call you Private?), I commend you on your taste in choosing The Last Express. One of the greatest games of all time, adventure or otherwise, and it's the best story in a graphic adventure game. The writing and voice acting are unbelievable, and the story is moving and authentic. It's one of those few games that actually feels living. Every aspiring game designer, adventure game fan or fan of stories in general should experience the brilliance of Mechner's masterpiece. There's not enough hyperbole in the English language to adequately express how awesome it is. And it's virtually unknown, even among graphic adventure enthusiasts. It's why I cry myself to sleep every night. Or it might be severe emotional trauma.... but what's more emotionally traumatic than seeing such an awesome game lost amidst an endless sea of lesser titles?
    The game I played most recently was King's Quest IV (my review of it will go up on Adventure Gamers in the near future).

I'm hoping to spend the weekend with Dreamfall, if my below-spec computer can handle it. It's installing right now...

Oh, and I'm still plugging away at Phoenix Wright (have been for months now). I don't want it to end so I'm playing it in very small bursts. I'm partway through the last case.

You're probably better off playing the Xbox version. It's definitely a graphic adventure game, but there are some rather basic (read: boring) action and stealth elements that I would presume to be even more painful on a keyboard. It's not a terribly good game, but it's an excellent videogame. It is far more emotionally evocative than The Longest Journey, as it's more tragic and cinematic, and this emotion bleeds into the design. Though it may not be all that much fun to break into an abandoned factory, avoiding a rather predictable robot on your way in, there will be so many churning emotions behind your action that inane gameplay takes on profound meaning. Therein lies the flawed brilliance of Dreamfall; the how and what of the gameplay are insipid, but they're drowned by the sweeping mood of why.

Even if you don't have an Xbox, find someone who does. Given that you work at a game company, I can't imagine that you couldn't find someone with one. You want the gameplay to be as unobtrusive as possible to fully feel the game, and using a controller for Dreamfall is the best way, IMO.

But play it, play it, play it. It's a flawed masterpiece, but when it finishes, you'll remember the masterpiece part much more.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.