Telltale Games Should Give Up KQ License

edited January 2013 in Kings Quest Game
If Telltale Games does not announce any definitive KQ plans in the next five months, then they should give up the KQ license and let another development team (who actually respects the KQ series and KQ fans) bring the series back to life in a proper way and in grand fashion, the way the series deserves. Dave Grossman has been dismissive of KQ, and it has been a long time since we have heard anything from Telltale about KQ.

It is a slap in the face to fans of classic adventure gaming for Telltale to essentially sit on the KQ rights and prevent any new KQ game from being made, while they pretend like TTG is doing adventure gaming a favor by having acquired the license in the first place.

I think most of us realize that Telltale Games was never the right developer for a new King's Quest, anyway. Telltale is great when it comes to nonchallenging, somewhat formulaic, episodic games with limited virtual exploration. They seem to have settled on a strategy of acquiring licenses for well-known brands, and then releasing games that attract more attention because of the movie/book/comic brand than they do for the actual original merits of the game. And more power to them.

Many of us were willing to give Telltale the benefit of the doubt, but enough is enough. If, in 5 months, Telltale hasn't announced anything definitive about KQ, then they need to do the right thing and relinquish the license so someone else can bring back the series the right way.

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Actually Activision owns the license, and theoretically they could lend that license to any number of development houses at the same time if they felt they could make a profit out of it.

I highly doubt that Telltale has an "exclusive" clause in contract, preventing others from making games in the series. So all complaints of "sitting" on the license should probably be taken up with Activision.
  • edited January 2013
    How much time was Telltale given to do something with the series? This cannot go on forever. If Telltale announces no concrete design plans in the next five months, then I say that they should, in the interest of the series and adventure gaming, officially give up the right to make KQ games. Do you think Activision would allow another developer to create a King's Quest game, at the same time that Telltale had the okay to do the same thing? Seems unlikely to me.

ATTN: TELLTALE REPRESENTATIVE

We demand to hear from Telltale whether KQ is currently in production. Does Telltale still plan on releasing KQ games?
  • edited January 2013
    Why is it unlikely? Please explain.
  • edited January 2013
    I think more than likely Activision can withdraw a license if needs be, so they don't have to wait around for a development house to "kindly" return it.

I somehow seriously doubt that that Activision had to beg Silicon Knights to give up the KQ license when it went nowhere with them.

The challenge that Activision faces is they probably are looking for established successful proven money-making businesses to produce games. Perhaps not every developer out there has much interest in the IP. That is to say they may not see much success in the IP to risk making a game with it.

To use an example the developer of Arx Fatalis, Arkane Studios, wanted to make Ultima: Underworld sequel (3 I think it was). But the owners of Ultima didn't think it was viable. So the developers took their idea and made Arx Fatalis instead. It was more or less a flop apparently. They did decide to go and make an Arx Fatalis too though, but couldn't find someone to produce it. Ubisoft wanted them to make a Might and Magic game though, so they turned their ideas for Arx Fatalis 2 into Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

So ya worst case scenario KQ License could go to anther company and then be forced to turn into a completely different IP! Because Activision decides it might be more "successful", that way.

Perhaps there is a "curse" such that in the past, each professional corporation that had attempted to revive KQ have had to cancel those attempts perhaps even before they began!

KQ8 the last of the original series, was nearly cancelled itself in early development.
  • edited January 2013
    Personally, I'm counting down the days til the cancellation announcement.
  • edited January 2013
    Actually you mean "counting up" seeing as a count down means we know exactly when it ends. You start with a starting number of days, and work towards zero hour! A larger number is 'counted down' until it becomes 'zero'.

In this case we neither know if and when there will be a 'cancelation'. So you must count up to keep a running tab of the amount of days between when you started counting, and they choose to say something, ;). In this case one would would start counting up from 'one', and reaching a much larger number by the end of the counting! What is your total number of days so far?
  • edited January 2013
    Why is it unlikely? Please explain.

I have no idea and am trying to get some answers myself. Maybe Activison could feel that having multiple developers working on KQ titles could be confusing for customers and bad for the brand. Maybe there are concerns about differences in product quality level or style between different designers.

It would be good news for KQ fans if Telltale Games, who are more interactive movie makers than "adventure game" developers, announced the cancellation of their KQ plans.
  • exoexo
    edited January 2013
    I just came here to say I do not demand answer from telltale. I demand frosted cookies.
  • edited January 2013
    Why have these forums been so negative lately? :rolleyes:

1. Telltale doesn't own the King's Quest license, Activision does. Telltale is making a new King's Quest game under license from Activision, much like how they made Tales of Monkey Island under license from LucasArts. Telltale isn't going to give up the rights to King's Quest, because it's not theirs to give up in the first place.

2. Admittedly, Telltale's always been bad when it comes to giving information about games in advance. (This is something they need to work on, especially now that they're entering the mainstream and attracting...less patient fans.) However, this doesn't mean the project's been abandoned. They're just not ready to reveal anything about it yet, especially since KQ isn't their next game. I would wait until Fables is over (speaking of which, where's the Fables info? :p ) before expecting anything about King's Quest. In the meantime, patience.

3. Telltale isn't sitting on King's Quest, preventing anything from happening with the series. If you haven't noticed yet, KQ has been in limbo since 1998, before Telltale even existed. If Telltale really did give up on this new game like you want, you know what'd probably happen? Activision, the guys who have actually been sitting on the series, would continue sitting on it because they can make more money with Call of Duty: Modern Zombie Ops 12. It's really kind of amazing Activision has bothered allowing a new King's Quest game at all, so I'd be thankful.

4. As for whether Telltale's qualified to make a King's Quest game...that's a debate I think it's best I don't get into. But look at it this way. If the game turns out to be good, then awesome! A long-forgotten series gets to return to its former glory, and bring tons of new fans with it. If the game ends up being shit, the old games will still be there. Maybe even a few newcomers will play the old games to get a better idea of what kind of series the new game ruined (hey, it's been working out for Devil May Cry ;) ). Basically, unless Telltale makes a REALLY fucked-up decision, like, say, make the game star Cedric, King's Quest is guaranteed to be treated better with this new game than it's been treated for the past 15 years.
  • edited January 2013
    Why have these forums been so negative lately? :rolleyes:
    This project sounds strange even for Telltale's secretive strategy.
    Look here:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/company/pressreleases/
    February the 18th, 2011.
    That's weird: of all the projects they announced back then (including Fables), King's Quest never got its official press release. And no, they've not cancelled the announcement :p, because there's no press release among the WayBack Machine archived pages, either. :confused:
    Sussssssssspence... :D
  • edited January 2013
    As a longtime King's Quest fan, I resent the notion that I ought to be "thankful" that interactive movie maker Telltale has acquired or leased what could be exclusive rights to KQ. As I wrote earlier, I was willing to give Telltale the benefit of the doubt, even though I felt they weren't the right developer for a KQ. But, now that so much time has passed without a single mention of KQ, I have to wonder what is going on. If Telltale does in fact have exclusive rights to the brand, and if, as appears increasingly likely, they have shelved the KQ project, then we may not be seeing any new KQ for many more years at least. But KQ fans are supposed to be thankful?

When the Telltale KQ project was announced, we were promised more details about the game after a few months. Instead, all we got was a story about an apparently-for-show offer to Roberta Williams (OF COURSE Telltale knew she wouldn't accept) to co-design the game. They just wanted to be able to say that the offer was made, and that they received advice from her. And that was almost 2 years ago. Beyond that, we haven't gotten anything. Not one word.

Couple that with the much-discussed dismissive attitude of Telltale's Dave Grossman about King's Quest and classic adventure gaming in general, and it shouldn't be hard to see why many KQ fans are concerned.

Now we hear that Telltale is talking about wanting to move in a new direction with more "serious" storytelling, and has been throwing around names like Star Wars and Half-Life.

Telltale has been moving away from adventure gaming elements (not that they ever were a paragon of designing epic quests full of exploration and challenging puzzles, anyway) and towards interactive movies. So, even if Telltale does develop a KQ, it seems likely that the product will be more like their more interactive movie-style recent releases.

Telltale isn't giving King's Quest the respect it deserves. How much do they value KQ and its fans?

Why should we be happy if Telltale is acquiring or leasing exclusive rights to various classic adventure brands? I don't see how this is necessarily a good thing for adventure gaming, or at least what I consider adventure gaming, especially when the people acquiring the rights don't even care for the original series they are supposed to be rebooting. And wouldn't a little more diversity in terms of developers be a nice thing? I am tired of the idea that Telltale is the one "savior" for long-ignored adventure game fans.

The recent Kickstarter phenomenon has shown us that there is still strong interest for these games, and people will be more likely to support a product if they know developers behind the projects love and understand adventure gaming as much as the fans.

I repeat:

ATTN: TELLTALE REPRESENTATIVE

WE DEMAND TO HEAR FROM TELLTALE WHETHER KQ IS CURRENTLY IN PRODUCTION. DOES TELLTALE STILL PLAN ON RELEASING KQ GAMES? IF SO, WHEN?
  • edited January 2013
    Who is "we?" So far I've seen you making demands and other posters making fun of you for it. You have no leverage to make demands and certainly aren't entitled to anything. I agree that it would be nice to get a short answer from TT though.
  • edited January 2013
    mosfet wrote: »
    I agree that it would be nice to get a short answer from TT though.

After almost 2 years of being ignored, the time for a deferential "pretty please it would be nice maybe if you get a chance if it isn't too much to ask perhaps we could get a couple words?" approach is over, as far as I'm concerned.

You're darn right we are demanding answers and demanding them now. And, don't worry, whether or not the "we" was used in the royal sense, it didn't presume to include some people here who insist on making excuses for Telltale even as the company's role in snatching up the KQ license might mean we don't see a new KQ for a very long time.

I make no apologies for wanting to see a new KQ game developed and done right. Telltale is not entitled to mine and other KQ fans' support just because they promise to have the words "King's Quest" in the title.

It is time for Telltale to show more respect to KQ and its fans.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited January 2013
    MtnPeak wrote: »
    As a longtime King's Quest fan, I resent the notion that I ought to be "thankful" that interactive movie maker Telltale has acquired or leased what could be exclusive rights to KQ.
    Telltale's released quite a few sequels to classic adventure games that were made in the classic adventure game style themselves (check out the Sam & Max series and Tales of Monkey Island for examples).
    When the Telltale KQ project was announced, we were promised more details about the game after a few months. Instead, all we got was a story about an apparently-for-show offer to Roberta Williams (OF COURSE Telltale knew she wouldn't accept) to co-design the game. They just wanted to be able to say that the offer was made, and that they received advice from her. And that was almost 2 years ago. Beyond that, we haven't gotten anything. Not one word.
    The offer was definitely not just for show. They brought Ron Gilbert, the creator of Monkey Island in for Tales of Monkey Island, and he had a large hand in the initial story design process. The darker tone of the game and the evolution of the characters (such as the Voodoo Lady) have a lot to do with Ron's input.
    Telltale has been moving away from adventure gaming elements (not that they ever were a paragon of designing epic quests full of exploration and challenging puzzles, anyway) and towards interactive movies. So, even if Telltale does develop a KQ, it seems likely that the product will be more like their more interactive movie-style recent releases.
    I wouldn't necessarily say that they're moving away from traditional adventure games. The last few haven't been, but that doesn't mean all of their games will be in this style. Telltale's been mixing up classic point and clicks with more casual adventure games since their inception (for example, the CSI games and Puzzle Agent), so there's no reason to think that they still won't be releasing classic adventure games based on their history. Hector was one of the five games announced by Telltale at their 2011 press event, and it was a traditional point-and-click adventure game.
  • edited January 2013
    It is a slap in the face to fans of classic adventure gaming for Telltale to essentially sit on the KQ rights and prevent any new KQ game from being made,
    You know, I agree with your general complaint, but I can't help to think there's something strange in your "prevent any new KQ game from being made". Before the Kickstarter phenomenon, Sierra franchises were pretty much in chryogenic sleep (well, they still are except for Larry, but the return of their designers gives a glimpse of hope). You said yourself that Roberta Williams is retired and has put videogames behind her. So... do you actually know if someone else is trying to build another "classic" King's Quest? Is this developer's strategy being blocked by Telltale's licensing agreement?

[EDIT: I removed a rambling about the Walking Dead license being given to Telltale and Activision at the same time: a friend told me the Activision TWD probably covers the tv series, so they can coexist.]
  • edited January 2013
    ATTN TELLTALE EMPLOYEES: WE LIKE CAKE. WE DEMAND TO KNOW IF YOU LIKE CAKE AS WELL. IF NOT, PLEASE RELINQUISH ALL CAKE THAT YOU MAY HAVE STORED IN YOUR COMPANIES KITCHEN AND/OR REFRIGERATOR. WE DEMAND THIS.

Bt
  • edited January 2013
    The Cake is a Lie... or is it?
  • edited January 2013
    Telltale's been trying to move away from traditional P&C games for a while now. This can be seen by the attempt to move away from traditional P&C controls, for one. Add in the fact that Telltale has gone on record to say that the genre "doesn't need us anymore" is evidence enough that they don't plan on treading the ground they used to.

It's kind of sad for me (or it was, I don't care anymore). When Telltale first started I thought their approach to adventure was a little shallow and simple, but I expected greater things to come. I figured they'd have to build their audience and get people used to the idea of adventure games again. Instead it went the other direction. They weren't trying to create more fans of adventures, they instead used the adventure fanbase and their roots in classic adventure developers (namely LucasArts) as their foundation to build upon so they could have enough notoriety to move on to mainstream. This doesn't sit right with me.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Telltale's been trying to move away from traditional P&C games for a while now. This can be seen by the attempt to move away from traditional P&C controls, for one. Add in the fact that Telltale has gone on record to say that the genre "doesn't need us anymore" is evidence enough that they don't plan on treading the ground they used to.
    I wouldn't say that keyboard+mouse to click for Wallace & Gromit or point-drag-and-click (or keyboard+mouse to click) for Tales of Monkey Island really moved it away from a traditional adventure game (or even a traditional point+click, since you still point and click on objects in Telltale's later games with the mouse). The staples of the genre were still there (and those two games are among my favorites Telltale's made so far).

Not to mention, this is the subforum for King's Quest, which began it's life as a game where you control the protagonist with a keyboard. Adventure games have always had differing control schemes (text parser (eg: Zork), text parser + keyboard (eg: King's Quest), text parser + mouse (eg: Leisure Suit Larry 7), mouse only (eg: The Secret of Monkey Island), mouse + keyboard (eg: Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures), keyboard only (eg: Grim Fandango), joystick (eg: PS2 version of Escape from Monkey Island)). Despite all of the different means of control, all of these games were still adventure games.

As for Dan Connors statement, the statement ended with a laugh. Like I said before in this subforum, I think it's more likely that he meant that Telltale didn't have to be the flag waver for the adventure genre anymore (or better said, Telltale was no longer the company that the mainstream media would point to and say "these people are keeping a "dead" genre alive", since the mainstream media is actually covering adventure games again outside of Telltale).

As I said, Hector was a traditional point-and-click (and wasn't a super easy or casual adventure like Back to the Future or The Walking Dead), and that came out in 2011. So, Telltale hasn't given up the genre.

Also, Back to the Future is still a traditional point-and-click (well, point-drag-and-click) adventure game (although it's a casual adventure game, about on par with the Bone games in terms of difficulty, and I never heard anyone say that the Bone games weren't traditional point-and-click adventures, albeit definitely casual ones).

If you look at Telltale's history, there's really not much to be worried about in regards to them moving away from traditional adventure games. Their strategy's pretty much the same as it's always been, a mixture of casual and traditional adventure games with some non-adventures (or games with light adventure elements).

1 non-adventure
    1 casual adventure

1 casual adventure
    1 game with light adventure game elements

1 adventure

2 adventures

2 adventures

1 non-adventure
    1 adventure
    2 games with light adventure game elements

1 adventure
    1 casual adventure
    2 games with light adventure game elements

1 casual adventure
  • edited January 2013
    Fair points all around. But when it all comes down, there can be talk and talk on both sides with very convincing arguments, but my gut tells me it will not realistically happen. Based on what I see and my experience with Telltale. I wish they would prove me wrong. But like I said, they've gotten worse since I first became a fan, not better. I also do not necessarily classify some of the games you say are adventures as such. Also, Telltale did not design Hector.

I'm just not interested in what they have to offer anymore. I was a fan based solely on the fact that their games somewhat resembled adventures and were made of IPs that I once enjoyed. But in retrospect, none of them were as good as their forefathers. Not to mention I dislike the episodic format. Telltale is just not my scene anymore. I don't care if they do make a King's Quest. I won't play it.

Well, I might. If only out of sheer morbid curiosity. Or watch a playthrough or something. But I will never lay money down for another Telltale game again unless they actually do something that interests me and agrees with my personal tastes in game design.
  • edited January 2013
    Jennifer wrote: »
    As for Dan Connors statement, the statement ended with a laugh.
    The reason I'm not laughing with him is that King's Quest could have been their next project after Fables. Now we know that the next project after Fables will be The Walking Dead Season Two. At least we can safely say it's not a priority (and it's never been: why did they make Fables before King's Quest? They announced them at the same time, after all). Dave recorded a Christmas update for Adventure Gamers (!!!) and totally skipped any info related to King's Quest. If Connors goes on talking about Star Wars, Halo and Half Life, I guess KQ won't be the priority in the near future either.
    I'm sorry to say that we really need an official statement now, after a whole year of silence. Denial won't help. ;)
  • edited January 2013
    Diduz wrote: »
    The reason I'm not laughing with him is that King's Quest could have been their next project after Fables. Now we know that the next project after Fables will be The Walking Dead Season Two. At least we can safely say it's not a priority (and it's never been: why did they make Fables before King's Quest? They announced them at the same time, after all). Dave recorded a Christmas update for Adventure Gamers (!!!) and totally skipped any info related to King's Quest. If Connors goes on talking about Star Wars, Halo and Half Life, I guess KQ won't be the priority in the near future either.
    I'm sorry to say that we really need an official statement now, after a whole year of silence. Denial won't help. ;)

We don't know for sure if The Walking Dead Season 2 is coming before King's Quest.
  • edited January 2013
    We don't know for sure if The Walking Dead Season 2 is coming before King's Quest.

King's Quest isn't coming at all.
  • edited January 2013
    Lambonius wrote: »
    King's Quest isn't coming at all.

And the Telltale forums are reunited with an old friend it hasn't seen in a very long time...

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg
  • edited January 2013
    Maybe you're jumping to conclusions there.
  • edited January 2013
    Well, Dave talked about two projects in the Adventure Gamers Christmas Greetings: Fables and The Walking Dead Season Two.
    http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/23582
    I don't think he's been "dismissive" of King's Quest, as MntPeak said, because I remember he talked about the franchise here:
    http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/18536
    (I really liked this interview :) )
    I'm not saying I'm sure they'll cancel the game (heck, the forum is still here, after all! ;) ), but stating KQ is low in their priority list isn't "jumping to conclusions". It's a fact.
  • edited January 2013
    I seem to remember some people saying that the Law & Order game was dead because there had been no news and official site was taken down. That still came out. Just saying...
  • edited January 2013
    I seem to remember some people saying that the Law & Order game was dead because there had been no news and official site was taken down. That still came out. Just saying...
    I think in that case Telltale had to rectify the whole project: the game was originally based on Law & Order : Los Angeles, but the show was canceled while they were working on it.
    Good example, though. ;)
  • edited January 2013
    Interesting thing about early Law & Order games, Telltale made a few of them. They had license to make the game. But the license didn't allow them to sell the games on the Telltale website. Which is why you can't find them for sale anymore, except on physical media.

Might be interesting if telltale had a similar contract with Activision. To make the game, but Activision distributes it. Similarly it might be up to Activision to make any major announcements and advertising. Similar to what happened with those early Telltale Law and Order games.
  • edited January 2013
    BagginsKQ wrote: »
    Interesting thing about early Law & Order games, Telltale made a few of them. They had license to make the game. But the license didn't allow them to sell the games on the Telltale website. Which is why you can't find them for sale anymore, except on physical media.
    You mean CSI for Ubisoft? Telltale actually sells L&O on the website.
  • edited January 2013
    http://web.archive.org/web/20061224064615/http://www.telltalegames.com/

No I mean; Law & Order: Criminal Intent. This was back in 2006ish or so. Not the same thing as the new L&O: Legacies. Unless it turned into that?

They also did a CSI game too didn't they?
  • edited January 2013
    BagginsKQ wrote: »
    No I mean; Law & Order: Criminal Intent. This was back in 2006ish or so. Not the same thing as the new L&O: Legacies. Unless it turned into that?
    Law & Order Criminal Intent was developed and published episodically by Legacy Interactive. If I remember well, Telltale put the game on their virtual store for a short period, but it's not made by them. ;)
  • edited January 2013
    That might be it.

I remember there being some kind of FAQ in which they discussed CSI or Law & Order and how they didn't have the rights to distribute those games online, and that NBC or some such had the rights. Maybe they were just explaining why they no longer offered them.

Probably was CSI;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSI:_3_Dimensions_of_Murder

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSI:_Hard_Evidence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSI:_Fatal_Conspiracy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSI:_Deadly_Intent

Seems like its Telltale's lost game series, they almost never show up on any list of Telltale Games.
  • edited January 2013
    MASK OF ETERNITY IS NOT A KING'S QUEST GAME.

Bt
  • edited January 2013
    Technically true;

The game known simply as "Mask of Eternity" is not a King's Quest game. It's some game/mod set in time of the Mayans, made for a educational game design project.

logo_mid.jpg
    Kin is a clever Mayan warrior father chosen by the astronomer / priest to save the mothers and daughters of Tikal. Prophesied by the astronomer / priest is an Apocalyptic Flood that is believed to be accompanied by an army of beasts that feed on the spirit of women young and old. Kin must acquire the "Eternal Jade Mask" from the Moon Goddess in the Upperworld in order to save his wife and baby daughter.

You are the chosen Mayan warrior KIN Chak Balam. Kin was chosen by the astronomer/priest to retrieve the Eternal Jade Mask not only because of his courageous nature but also because he is very clever and has always acted wise beyond his age. Kin is a young father of two; a five year old son and a baby daughter. Kin is very spiritual for he knows how to read the stars in the night sky, he represents the mighty Tikal warriors of the "classic" Mayan civilization. Kin is fearless, strong physically, mentally and spiritually.

The "Eternal Jade Mask" which resides in the Upperworld is needed to slay this invader and save the women of Tikal. The problem is that in order to get to the Upperwold one must first pass through the Under world, then the Middleworld where one climbs the" World tree" which holds up the heavens to finally reach the Upper world where the mask resides.

At the end of every world Kin will fight and defeat an animal God which grants him a power/magic that he'll need in the next world. A bat God rules the Underworld and holds a map of the Middle world which shows how to sprout forth the World Tree. Once Kin sprouts the tree and climbs to the top he must fight and defeat a bird God that holds the power of flight which is needed in the Upperworld. Once in the Upperworld Kin must fly from island to island amongst the clouds looking for the temple in which the mask resides. You will have different opportunities to meet animal friends and acquire Masks with "animal powers". One must fight many super natural enemies such as undead animals, spirits and skeletons to acquire strength and magic points. These points enable you to live longer and to use better magical powers for longer periods of time.

This game will be part first person shooter and part third person action adventure. For the most part this game is a frist person shooter but whenever you want to use your special jaguar attacks it will switch to a third person point of view.. This will provide a more impact full and refined feel to the game. Think of "Prince of Persia" / "God of War"s gameplay for its incredible fighting moves and think of Hellboy / Indiana Jones for the look and directorial style but with a Mayan theme.

The first level is the Underworld and it consists of intricate underground caves with various temples and glowing rivers thought. You will encounter many supernatural enemies such as Lost Souls, Zombie Animals, and Animal Gods. At the end of the Underworld one must defeat Zotz the bat God who is the guardian of the Underworld. He holds a map of the Middleworld that shows where to find the "Three Stones of Creation".

The second level one must collect the "Three Stones of Creation" by following the hieroglyphic map. You need to do this so that you can plant the stones in a specific location to sprout forth the "World Tree". One must climb the "World Tree" in order to finally reach the Upperworld. Once you reach the top of the tree Kin must defeat a bird God to acquire the power of flight which is needed for the Upperworld.

Kin is fearless and ready to undergo the ordeals of the Mayan afterlife to poses the Eternal Jade Mask…Are you?

http://www.artinstitutes.edu/losangeles/gw/moe/about.htm

wp01_800.jpg

kin2.jpg

The novel The Mask Of Eternity is also not a KQ game;

http://www.amazon.com/Eternity-Solis-DeLacey-Series-ebook/dp/B008TRXRO2/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1358347123&sr=8-11&keywords=Mask+of+Eternity

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwyLnYy7_bj4e7qBIpHS7xI5NfconvmGzJ9xO9uI-qnuxyOS7U

Also, the musical album, Mask of Eternity is not a King's Quest game;

http://www.amazon.com/Mask-Eternity-Chad-Band-Gold/dp/B0065NOWRS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1358347521&sr=8-7&keywords=mask+of+eternity

51XP-VN0VSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Neither is the song, "Mask of Eternity" from that album;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006Z1WOPC/ref=dm_dp_trk1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358347521&sr=8-7

King's Quest (VIII): Mask of Eternity on the other hand is a king's quest game.
  • edited January 2013
    Hahah, for a wall of text - man, that was pretty funny.

Bt
  • edited January 2013
    Technically more like a wall of 'images'.

Also to be fair, the term 'wall of text', refers to a post that is just plain text, has no punctuation or formatting; including no spacing between paragraphs.

Infact it is written as one giant paragraph.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wall%20of%20text

walloftext-40997.jpg

In other words its just hard on the eyes! What's worse than a wall of text? Wall of text that's ALL CAPS!
  • edited January 2013
    As for whether Telltale's qualified to make a King's Quest game...that's a debate I think it's best I don't get into. But look at it this way. If the game turns out to be good, then awesome! A long-forgotten series gets to return to its former glory, and bring tons of new fans with it. If the game ends up being shit, the old games will still be there. Maybe even a few newcomers will play the old games to get a better idea of what kind of series the new game ruined (hey, it's been working out for Devil May Cry ;) ). Basically, unless Telltale makes a REALLY fucked-up decision, like, say, make the game star Cedric, King's Quest is guaranteed to be treated better with this new game than it's been treated for the past 15 years.
    I think I actually agree with this. Many KQ fans decry MoE. Fewer fans, but still lots of them, hate on KQ7. I'm not sure what TTG could do to ruin KQ more than what Sierra and Activision have done.
  • edited January 2013
    Actually very little information to tell if KQ7 or KQ8 was hated more.

But Roberta mentioned that Sierra received many complaints that it was slow jerky animation. Also those who didn't like the art style. She also mentioned there many that complained thought she should have ended the series with six because adventure game genre was showing its age and had become outdated. As far as professional critics it was nearly universally panned.

Perhaps only the KQ1 remake received more criticism from fans. To the point that Sierra stopped future remake development in the KQ line. Roberta had confirmed on multiple occasions it was the least successful game of the series.

We'll never really have a clear idea how KQ8 was viewed except that it was was praised or treated as great by most of the professional critics. Roberta mentioned it QA more successful than KQ7. It was more successful than Grim Fandango. It received at least one adventure game award and was nominated for others. Although keep in mind besides Grim Fandango there wasn't alot of competition that year.

Since Roberta not Sierra went onto to make another KQ game we have no comparisons to its success or lack there of from Roberta or Sierra's perspective in comparison to the next game in development.

But ya more than likely those three are the least well received on release.
  • edited January 2013
    Also we'll never know all of the KQ fans opinions. Many fans moved on, went on to play other things or stopped playing games at all. It was a niche market to begin with that had a limited fan base in general. Even smaller base of those fans or new generation of fans even follow the series on the Internet.

Fan games probably appeal to newer generation of fans that grew up after Sierra's main heyday. But I'd venture to guess most of Sierra's original fan base do not know about them. Just as I doubt many of that generation know that telltale announced that they obtained the license to make a game in the series. It's just not common knowledge.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.