Surprise random trivia contest!

edited February 2008 in General Chat
Hey, want to win one of the elusive 2007 Comic-Con printed Telltale Interlopers, autographed by anyone we can get to come sign it before we mail it to you? Keep reading!

So here's the story... We went to lunch today, and ate a round of delicious sandwiches and soups. Upon returning to the parking garage, I was charged $1 for parking. Possessing only a $5 bill, I fed it in, expecting my $4 in change. What I actually got was 4 $1 coins and a mysterious coin that none of us could identify. So, the first person to tell us what this coin is, and provide some proof (Wikipedia link?) will win the aforementioned printerloper!

mystery_coin.jpg

Comments

• edited January 2008
    Writing looks Thai... so maybe it's a 5 Baht coin?

EDIT: Your Wikipedia link, sir (Close-up picture)
  • edited January 2008
    Well, that was fast! Molokov, PM me your address and I'll send it off ASAP. I'll even throw in the coin as a bonus!
  • edited January 2008
    5 minutes, impressive
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    Well, that was fast! Molokov, PM me your address and I'll send it off ASAP. I'll even throw in the coin as a bonus!

Sending currency through the mail?!?!?!?!
  • edited January 2008
    It is not our currency so who cares?
  • edited January 2008
    just cover it with thick paper and it's cool
  • edited January 2008
    Crikey, next time you post a trivia question like that, could you do it while I'm not asleep? ;) Anyway, congratulations, Molokov! :)
  • edited January 2008
    wow, that parking meter knows currencies...soon they'll trade every currency for different currency.. We don't need banks anymore...
  • edited January 2008
    How in the world wide pants did a Thai coin end up in a Californian parking meter?
  • edited January 2008
    An excellent question. The real question is, how long will I go thinking I have no cash before I remember I have $1 coins?
  • edited January 2008
    Wow, what a rip. A 5 Baht coin is only 16 cents. I would've fed it back into the machine. :p
  • edited January 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    An excellent question. The real question is, how long will I go thinking I have no cash before I remember I have $1 coins?

I didn't quite understand this.. are you still there next to the parking meter :rolleyes:
    edited January 2008
    Nobody uses dollar coins except the postal service and some parking meters, so even if you have ten of them weighing down your pocket, you're bound to think you only have some small change jingling around in there.
  • edited January 2008
    Nice work Molokov. Bring on some more of these trivia contests...? ;)
  • edited January 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    Nobody uses dollar coins except the postal service and some parking meters, so even if you have ten of them weighing down your pocket, you're bound to think you only have some small change jingling around in there.
    New York's MTA fare vending machines use dollar coins as change; I'm a nobody! :(;)
    edited January 2008
    sorry also public transit does I guess. I always forget about them and then discover I have a house full of them from that damn parking garage, and stamp machines.
  • edited January 2008
    Thanks all. It was a guess, purely. I recognised Thai writing, and I know their currency is baht... didn't know it was a 5 baht coin until I did the wikipedia search for it :)
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2008
    Nobody uses dollar coins except the postal service and some parking meters...

And Canadians.
  • edited January 2008
    Squinky wrote: »
    And Canadians.

Eh?

...sorry. Couldn't resist. I'm done.
    edited February 2008
    ...and lot of other places, I'm sure, but this conversation was about US dollars. Keep your damn loonys out of this.
    edited February 2008
    Eh, they're worth the same these days, anyway.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    Note that I guessed Thai even before Doug posted the trivia contest, but he didn't give me a signed Printerloper.

*grump*
  • edited February 2008
    Is it really so special when you're (hopefully) one of the people signing it?

All the Telltale staff are mythical, wonderful beings to me, who produce joy once a month... the only time you guys seem like normal humans is in the youtube videos from conventions... and even then, it's all still awe-inspiring to me :)

I mean... I write code too, but it's nothing as glamourous as a Sam and Max game :)

It's something to do with mobile phones, if you must know. And certainly nothing very speccy.
  • edited February 2008
    Canadians have 2 dollars coins too. They're awesome. Change rules!
  • edited February 2008
    crud I coulda said Thailand I even have a smaller coin thats golden (you know there if you step on a rolling coin you can be arrested and in the old days murdered, its stepping on the emp's face

Doh

you guys really make interlopers? though that was all virtual... hmm
  • edited February 2008
    I think they just print them off on their own printers just cuz they can. No actual Physical Distrubtion other than for contests (like this one and the Guess 201's release date one) and among themselves.
  • jmmjmm
    edited February 2008
    Printed editions were promotional items gave away at some conventions.

Plus, winners from a contest got one.

I can happily say, that mine is signed by quite a few folks from Telltale, plus two envelopes (One white, one yellow) written and signed by one (1) Emily Morganti :)

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00028.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Molokov wrote: »
    All the Telltale staff are mythical, wonderful beings to me, who produce joy once a month...

They deserve to be made into action figures.
    edited February 2008
    Kaldire wrote: »
    you guys really make interlopers? though that was all virtual... hmm

We did a special one-time print issue of the Interloper for Comic-Con last summer. It was extremely fun and cool (in my opinion), and we'd like to do more... it just depends on whether or not we'll find ourselves with the time and resources again anytime soon.
    Dedlok wrote: »
    I think they just print them off on their own printers just cuz they can. No actual Physical Distrubtion other than for contests (like this one and the Guess 201's release date one) and among themselves.

You're mistaken! I have a semi-freakish number of years of experience at newspaper layout and design, and treated both the print Interloper and the Alien Love Triangle Times from the Case File like real newspaper projects. They were laid out in InDesign using a template similar to most "real" newspapers, and were printed on a proper offset press, on newsprint. We could have taken them to Kinkos or run them off ourselves on the laser printer, but then you wouldn't get the smudgy halftones, inky smell, and weird ragged edges that you only really get from a properly printed newspaper. We have about a half bundle of print Interlopers left from last Summer's Comic-Con, and since they're such a rarity, they're fun to give away as random prizes. They'd be extremely lame and cheezy if they were just a PDF we ran off on the laser printer whenever we needed one. So, there you go :) Real, not fake!
  • edited February 2008
    aww man id kill for that swag!!! aka merch!
  • edited February 2008
    You're mistaken! I have a semi-freakish number of years of experience at newspaper layout and design, and treated both the print Interloper and the Alien Love Triangle Times from the Case File like real newspaper projects. They were laid out in InDesign using a template similar to most "real" newspapers, and were printed on a proper offset press, on newsprint. We could have taken them to Kinkos or run them off ourselves on the laser printer, but then you wouldn't get the smudgy halftones, inky smell, and weird ragged edges that you only really get from a properly printed newspaper. We have about a half bundle of print Interlopers left from last Summer's Comic-Con, and since they're such a rarity, they're fun to give away as random prizes. They'd be extremely lame and cheezy if they were just a PDF we ran off on the laser printer whenever we needed one. So, there you go :) Real, not fake!

Ah. Then I'll admit I'm mistaken and made that assumption based on the nickname you guys gave it. I just assumed based on the name that it was just a high quality print job done by yourselves. Didn't even know they were given out at cons.

Of course if you guys had released 201 1 week later I woulda had one of my own as I would had been a winner in the "Guess the release date of 201" contest. And I would have had never made that post based on a groundless assumption and woulda posted the facts. So really you guys have yourselves to blame for me posting the incorrect info. ;)

Edit: ONE WEEK! ONE LOUSY WEEK! ;)
    edited February 2008
    Glad you've learned your lesson!
  • edited February 2008
    Glad you've learned your lesson!

Jake! HIGH SCHOOL newspaper is not real newspaper! And no, we don't care you made it into the honor roll! Haha.
    edited February 2008
    You'd be surprised how much you can learn if you're the person who does all the layout and works with the place that you're printing with when working on a school paper, but I also worked at newspapers that paid me money to do that sort of thing, in my "adult life." I don't think I made the honor roll :(
  • edited February 2008
    Woo... got the printerloper (and 5 baht) today, covered in a range of indecipherable squiggles which I assume are everyone's signatures :) [Doug's and Brendan's are identifiable, the rest I'll just guess who they are...]
  • edited February 2008
    Woo awesome!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.