Goodbye Jim Ward, Hello LucasArts Game Property?

edited February 2008 in General Chat
So LucasArts President Jim Ward is gone...

http://www.mixnmojo.com/index.php

If a new president is appointed that has respect for all those great LucasArts licenses..maybe this could open a door for Lucasarts to work with Telltale on making some new games.. There is hope!

Comments

• edited February 2008
    So, franchises, anyone?
  • edited February 2008
    I think we should focus in new directions instead of poking dead horses.
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited February 2008

Ohhh.... Thats what that smell is!
  • edited February 2008
    People clearly want a new monkey island game.. Maybe LucasArts doesn't have the resources or wants to pursue that themselves but they could instead hire telltale to work on a an episodic game series.. Also maybe a new president would release the old lucasarts games on the DS..and re-release the adventure classics on the PC in the US. Under Jim Wards presidency all they cared about was making star wars games so I'm glad to see him gone
  • edited February 2008
    Hero1 wrote: »
    People clearly want a new monkey island game.. Maybe LucasArts doesn't have the resources or wants to pursue that themselves but they could instead hire telltale to work on a an episodic game series..

No way, an episodic Monkey Island would ruin it all!!!
    BTW that's great news, I hope LucasArts will follow his previous footsteps and make graphic adventures again. I'm too romantic not to speculate on a glorious return of LucasArts. Ron Gilbert for president!
  • edited February 2008
    Lets just hope the new president loves their old franchises.
  • edited February 2008
    evilguy12 wrote: »
    Lets just hope the new president loves their old franchises.

my fingers are crossed
  • edited February 2008

Oooh, pleeeease announce a brand new original IP series! :D
  • EeKEeK
    edited February 2008
    Also maybe a new president would release the old lucasarts games on the DS..and re-release the adventure classics on the PC in the US. Under Jim Wards presidency all they cared about was making star wars games so I'm glad to see him gone

They should definitely team up with the guys responsible for ScummVM and release classic games on the DS.

As for a new games, it's gonna be pretty tough with the original team members working on other companies (like Double Fine Productions, Crackpot Entertainment, Autumn Moon and, of course, Telltale Games).
  • edited February 2008
    jp-30 wrote: »
    Oooh, pleeeease announce a brand new original IP series! :D

Not before finishing Bone, grrr!

--Erwin
  • edited February 2008
    Erwin wrote: »
    Not before finishing Bone, grrr!

--Erwin

*violently nods head to agree*
  • edited February 2008
    Maybe a Snake Plissken game in the vein of Full Throttle?
  • edited February 2008
    I'm not expecting any new entries in their old franchises, but hopefully the new guy in charge realizes that there's money in retro game compilations...
  • jmmjmm
    edited February 2008
    Please not another "Collection Volume LXVII" with the same content, but with Windows Vista 256x256 icons.

I'd be more grateful if LA starts to make (non) StarWars games that doesn't suck and doesn't require you to buy a PC with 16 processors, 4 NVIDIA 20K graphic cards, ....

And even more grateful, if they let loose their creative juices and, in an unprecendented moment of realization, they discover the potential on those forgotten old adventure games and decide to make some sequels or new adventure games (again, that doesn't suck, preferable without any StarWars reference)

If they do that, they'll get some of my money.
  • edited February 2008
    This has the potential to be very good, and even though I hate how they keep hammering us with stale Star Wars games, I'm really hoping they finally get moving on KOTORIII.
  • edited February 2008
    ...or the new guy will be even more interested in star wars stuff and everything will get far worse that you all could have imagined.:eek:
  • edited February 2008
    No, wisp, the good ones always win.
  • edited February 2008
    EeK wrote: »
    They should definitely team up with the guys responsible for ScummVM and release classic games on the DS.

As for a new games, it's gonna be pretty tough with the original team members working on other companies (like Double Fine Productions, Crackpot Entertainment, Autumn Moon and, of course, Telltale Games).

Like with their various SW games, they can license new IP to those companies to make games out of. I mean, not all SW games are made by Lucasarts in house game division.

I would love to see another spinoff sequel of Maniac Mansion done by Dave Grossman and/or Ron Gilbert. Hopefully by the former because Grossmen seems to flesh out the characters better than Gilbert did. No offense to Gilbert, especially how Maniac Mansion was made during the time where character devlopement and storyline was virtually nonexistant in most video games.

Also, I can see telltale and other companies of former LA employees asking LA to publish their games. It would be great since Lucasarts is a big company and having them publish a small companies game would ensure more money for advertisements and such.

Heck, this might allow Ron Gilbert to finish the Monkey Island anthology.
  • edited February 2008
    there was originally 6 characters in day of the tentacle..it would be great if they made another adventure with the 3 characters that ended up getting cut.. and yes lucasarts could easily license the ip to telltale
  • edited February 2008
    there was originally 6 characters in day of the tentacle..it would be great if they made another adventure with the 3 characters that ended up getting cut.. and yes lucasarts could easily license the ip to telltale

Who were the other 3? Were they originals or where they characters from Maniac mansion?
  • edited February 2008
    they were originals..
  • edited February 2008
    From an Adventure Gamers interview with Dave Grossman:
    DOTT originally had SIX kids, and you were going to get to choose three, just like in Maniac Mansion, with different puzzles and stuff depending on who you chose. We cut it down to three in order to maintain our sanity, mainly from an animation standpoint. Razor, from the original Maniac, did not make the final cut, along with two of the new kids: Chester, a cadaverous poet/artiste, and Moonglow, an earthy girl with sandals. Chester, with a bit of makeup, was eventually recast as Red Edison's twin sons, but poor Moonglow wound up robbing 7-11s in a low-rent action game.
  • edited February 2008
    Interesting that Razor was goin to be in the game though I find it a bit strange if they actually went with that idea. I mean, if DOTT had those characters then that means we would have two rockers (Hoogy is actually a rowdie, but he is the rocker in the group) and two down-to-earth characters (moonglow and that other girl).

Was the last sentence that mention moonglow robbing 7-11s in an action game a joke or real? The only game I can think of her being in are the Zombies ate my neighbors game. However, I do not remember a convinent store with a robber in it.
  • edited February 2008
    Hopefully, if Dave ever makes another MM game, he should add all or some of those cut characters in a spinoff-like game that occurs during the events of DOTT
  • edited February 2008
    It would be a great thing if LucasArts could work with Telltale Games on new adventure games from the classics like Maniac Mansion or Monkey Island. But It's a dream. It must have work relations between the two companies. I guess that Telltale's employees know some LucasArts' employees... But that's all the relations between the two companies...

For me (and I guess for some others), Telltale Games is a little bit the new "LucasArts" Adventure Game Division. Like some kind of "demerger"... But in the same time, I know it's not LucasArts... Telltale don't have the IP...
  • edited February 2008
    Well we already have our Sam and Max(Thanks Telltale(OMG suck up :D)). Now all we need is that Full Throttle game they promised... Minus the fighting and added point and click. :D
    wisp wrote: »
    ...or the new guy will be even more interested in star wars stuff and everything will get far worse that you all could have imagined.:eek:

I think you might be right, I heard rumors about the new president.
    V. Dader or something...
  • jmmjmm
    edited February 2008
    I heard something about Congressman Palpatine and City Mayor Tarkin.... all rumors and lies though.
  • edited February 2008
    I heard they were headhunting Wolfgang Keidorf
Sign in to comment in this discussion.