New Monkey Island gamer

edited February 2013 in Tales of Monkey Island
Hi guys just introduced myself on the other section of the forum.

Ahoy there, Im a newly discovered Monkey Island fan and was looking for somewhere to discuss the Tales of Monkey Island series I've just bought. I've just completed an old copy of LeChucks Revenge I'd never played before and got hooked on it, so thought id go on for the latest Monkey Island Title now. The usual gaming forum I use was dead when it comes to Monkey Island, this place seems much more active. :)

So what do people think of the new camera view in the game? Gotta admit it is annoying me a bit initially now im not used to it and its causing me to go back on myself at times, but im only on the first game so hopefully on other islands it'll work better. The 3D graphics are great obviously, and it's already making me laugh :) . Hopefully the puzzles are good too.

Only other thing I was wondering is should I actually play the Curse of Monkey island before this for the storyline and if so is there many places to still get it?

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Welcome to the forum :) Yes, you should definitely play Curse. As far as I know, the only place you can get it at the moment is on eBay or Amazon, however I did see a copy of it at EBgames once, so you never know.
  • edited January 2013
    For what it's worth, I played Tales before I played Curse, and I rarely felt like I was missing anything, story-wise. Curse is a great game though, and you should definitely play it if you can find a copy.
  • edited January 2013
    Yeah thanks guys for welcoming me aboard. :)

Think I'll play this one through first, then try and get hold of a copy of the curse hopefully. One thing, is there any way to skip chat if you click on the wrong thing by accident? Oh and how do the hints work?
  • edited January 2013
    I think if you right click, it will stop whoever is talking at the moment. I can't help you with the hints, though, as I don't use them. :cool:
  • edited February 2013
    I played monkey island long time ago in 1990x. Probably new game worth playing :)
  • edited February 2013
    If you're going to play any game before Tales I would recommend the first one the most. There are a lot of parallels drawn between the two by the final episode. Other than that, really the only two games that have connected story lines are Lechuck's Revenge and Curse (2 and 3). The rest are all fairly self-contained.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Swfcdan wrote: »
    So what do people think of the new camera view in the game? Gotta admit it is annoying me a bit initially now im not used to it and its causing me to go back on myself at times, but im only on the first game so hopefully on other islands it'll work better. The 3D graphics are great obviously, and it's already making me laugh :) . Hopefully the puzzles are good too.
    I like the cinematic camera angles (I'm one of those who's actually glad Telltale went cinematic from Wallace & Gromit onward), it gives the games a bit more of a film feel, which for a story-based game works out beautifully.

They were still getting them down at this point (Tales of Monkey Island came out as Wallace & Gromit was still going on), so they were a bit wonky still at times (especially when using click and drag, since Tales of Monkey Island was the first game that officially supported this option).

The episodes get much better as they go on (the later episodes get better at not making the side characters look so generic), the side characters are more fleshed out and less one-dimensional, the puzzles get more interesting, and the story gets really engrossing. I thought the humor was consistent throughout the entire series, and I enjoyed the jokes (which were more subdued than Escape from Monkey Island, but wackier than the first two games... on par with Curse of Monkey Island IMO).

I second the recommendation to play the Curse of Monkey Island after you've finished Tales (although there are no hints, there is an option to play the game in an easier mode, which has less complicated puzzles at no expense to the game's story). Also, if you haven't played the original, play that one too. There's a special edition out that has all the modern conveniences like hints (and is fully voiced in special edition mode).

I personally liked Escape from Monkey Island, but it's not necessary to understand the series' story (and it's very hard to get playing on modern computers). Tales of Monkey Island only made one reference to it that I remember (the "ultimate insult" (which was the thing Guybrush was searching for in that game) that was one of the ingredients of the Cursed Cutless at the beginning of the first episode). The story of Escape is pretty much ignored by Tales otherwise.
  • edited February 2013
    You owe it to yourself to play all Monkey Island games, MI4 nonwithstanding.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.