I think my graphic card is broken

edited February 2008 in General Chat
Lately in games, especially the new ones, with fancy effects and whatnot the screen blacks out, the monitor gives the "No signal Input" message (which usually appears when I pull the monitor's cable out of the PC). While the screen is black, I can still hear the sound playing in the background.

My guess is that the card is a little malfunctioning (from fabrication), what do you say?

Comments

• edited February 2008
    That could mean the card is outputting a signal outside your display's acceptable range too. Sometimes that means too high/low resolution, or a refresh rate that's too high.
  • edited February 2008
    Pretty doubtful since the card is a new, and strong one.

I forgot: also after some time of playing the game, some textures start being displayed wrong, as well as some models (lines coming out of the model and such).

Do you think installing latest drivers would help?
  • edited February 2008
    Strictly speaking, new cards can output unsupported ranges just as easily as old ones :)

More likely, though, is that you're having driver issues. I'd say try the newest versions, and see if that helps.

It sounds a bit similar to a problem I and a few others in the office have experienced with nVidia drivers under Windows, though, where weird stuff starts happening like stray verts and texture issues. So far the only workaround I've found is to swap the card for somebody else's of another model. The card itself is fine, but Windows has formed some sort of backwoods feud with the drivers and won't budge unless forced to do so by changing out cards. Not necessarily what's happening in your case, of course, but it's something I've seen a few times (even with new cards).
  • jmmjmm
    edited February 2008
    Also, your motherboard could have incompatibilities with certain transfer modes or hardware.
    I learned this the hard way, on an old PC of mine, I had a problem with AGP 8x transfers over the PCI bus. Downgrading the speed to 4x solved the issues.
    Check your motherboard site and support groups (forums, chats, etc) and search for similar hardware combinations and/or problems.
  • edited February 2008
    id first ask if it was an onboard card or not.. if it wasnt id just pull the card and run onboard and see if that fixes it. If it is onboard find someone with a card and put it in, if one knows how. This will tell you 100% for sure (unless your friends card is broken too :P)
  • edited February 2008
    I just cleaned the card from dust, played The Witcher for about 2 hours, and nothing happened. Guess this was it. I'll say if it still happens, though it looks like not.
    Thanks for the help, y'all.:)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.