Comments

• edited February 2008
    I think they're remaking the first two as well, as part of the marketing.
  • edited February 2008
    Badwolf wrote: »
    I think they're remaking the first two as well, as part of the marketing.

With Jackie Chan and Vin Diesel???
  • edited February 2008
    No, just a 3-D re-rendering of the originals, so you can see them in wonder-eye-straining vision in the cinema, like Beowulf, and the upcoming Journey to the Centre of the Earth and Coraline.
  • edited February 2008
    I remember how I used to drive by the Pixlar studio since it was across the street from the ToysRus I shopped at.
  • edited February 2008
    And do we really need Toy Story 3. We could REALLY use A Bug's Life 2, you know.
  • edited February 2008
    A Bug's Life didn't have as memorable characters as Toy Story did.
    Wall-E looks promising though.
  • edited February 2008
    I would be interested in knick knack 2 *uncensored*...
  • edited February 2008
    A bugs life was based on the japan film 7 samurai. Why I know that, I have no fricken clue. Must be my added nerdness
  • edited February 2008
    Oooooo! Money making cow! lets milk it a lot! :D
    But seriously I remembered toy story back when I was a wee little lad saw toy story 2 as well. I think this is a good treat for the little ones to give them a taste of a timeless movie we all once knew but if they feck it up....well I guess the remakes could be good.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    Fortunately the Toy Story movies are good, and I guess Pixar taking Toy Story 3 back in house and developing it themselves (instead of it being done externally at another Disney studio, which was going to be the case a couple years ago) is milking the cash cow? Sounds more like trying to make something good, to me.
  • edited February 2008
    Do we know if Steve is involved? After all, he works there! :P
  • MelMel
    edited February 2008
    I saw Steve Purcell's name in the Ratatouille credits. I'm not sure what he worked on in that film though. :)
  • edited February 2008
    Probably concept art. Or wait, wasn't it storyboarding?
    edited February 2008
    He generally did character design and story concepts on Cars, and I don't know what he specifically did (if anything, other than Special Thanks) on Ratatouille.
  • edited February 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    He generally did character design and story concepts on Cars, and I don't know what he specifically did (if anything, other than Special Thanks) on Ratatouille.

The Pixar Shorts DVD says his official title is Storyboard Artist. Makes sense when you think about what his job implies and how comics are usually drawn.

Also, if you look at some of the storyboard art from Ratatouille, you can see evidence of Steve's hand in it, particularly the design of the cook under Skinner (I forgot the character's name). He looks an awfully lot like Flint, no?

What I don't understand is that Cars 2 is in the pipeline of their projects. This is the first time I've heard even a rumor about Bugs Life 2. I'm just glad they are not doing Disney's Toy Story 3 plot about a Buzz Lightyear Recall. :rolleyes:
  • edited February 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    Fortunately the Toy Story movies are good, and I guess Pixar taking Toy Story 3 back in house and developing it themselves (instead of it being done externally at another Disney studio, which was going to be the case a couple years ago) is milking the cash cow? Sounds more like trying to make something good, to me.
    Yeah if they would be milking it then there already would be a "Toy Story 12: Revenge of the Squeeze Toy Aliens".

I hope it tops Toy Story 2, that was a great movie.
  • edited February 2008
    Could be good.. could be very very bad. I dunno, i'd rather have a stand alone original story than YET ANOTHER sequel but in 3d sequels are cheap, they already have the models all prerigged after all. Just need to make a couple of new characters and some new backdrops and presto, churn out those sequels. Bah I say, BAH.
    Still, Pixar have seldom dissapointed so here's hoping they manage to keep the story fresh and interesting.

At least it's not as bad as all those disney sequels, my personal fave for shere awful being "bambi 2" aahahahahaha. If you read the synopsis, it's pretty much Bambi goes emo. It's hilarious.
    edited February 2008
    but in 3d sequels are cheap, they already have the models all prerigged after all. Just need to make a couple of new characters and some new backdrops and presto, churn out those sequels.

... I don't think that's how Pixar makes sequels. I think that's how Disney wanted them to make Toy Story 2, but instead it got turned into a full-production feature film, and was one of the best sequels made in the last few decades.

But, any way you slice it, "make a couple new characters and some new backdrops" requires a huge amount of artistry, talent, and time on many people's parts, and to imply that these things are just thrown together is kind of offensive to anyone whose job it is to create the art for something like an animated film. (On some films/games/whatever, I'm sure they are just thrown together, but there are many places -- Pixar headlining this list -- where even a casual glance at any frame of animation from their films shows a mind-blowing amount of invested talent, love and care, and a complete lack of slapdash "throwing things together so we can make this and then make a quick buck.")
Sign in to comment in this discussion.