S&M Ep203 Audio Issues

13»

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2008
    Not just yet, but I may poke for some help before we burn this thing to a disk only to find out we still didn't fix the problem.
  • edited June 2008
    Not to be a pest, but any status on the audio overhaul?

First things first, but not necessarily in that order.
    -Doctor Who
  • edited July 2008
    Now that the DVD is available, does this mean the audio issue has been worked out? If so, what is the projected time when the downloadable versions will be updated with the audio fix?
  • edited July 2008
    Roft wrote: »
    Now that the DVD is available, does this mean the audio issue has been worked out? If so, what is the projected time when the downloadable versions will be updated with the audio fix?

I came here to post this too.

I'm holding off on ordering the DVD until I get confirmation that this bug is fixed.
    edited July 2008
    Oh yes, I should probably update you guys. The stuff on the DVD is the EXACT SAME as the stuff that is currently on the web. I really wanted to get this fix in on time, but we had to hit the deadline for the DVD printers. Yes, we are still hoping to fix the problem and when we do, we will re-post the online versions.
  • edited July 2008
    Will wrote: »
    Oh yes, I should probably update you guys. The stuff on the DVD is the EXACT SAME as the stuff that is currently on the web. I really wanted to get this fix in on time, but we had to hit the deadline for the DVD printers. Yes, we are still hoping to fix the problem and when we do, we will re-post the online versions.

Drat! No point in me getting the DVD then. :( Thanks for the clarification Will.
  • edited July 2008
    Well.

I'm extremely disappointed. :(
  • edited July 2008
    Sorry man. You have no idea how hard everyone tried to get the fix in in time :(
  • edited August 2008
    Uhm, I haven't been here for awhile, I was just wondering if you'd had any luck with the sound thingy. Judging by the posts I'm guessing not. Still, kudos for the effort, not many game developers care about us 64 bit folk and trust me, I've had my share of problems since I went into the whole win64 thingy. The whole OS is one big issue if you ask me, still, want my 8 gigs of ram. Plays the game with friends on an oh so average and problem free gaming computer. Solving puzzles is so much more fun when you have three people screaming into your ears "Click the tombstone again, maybe this time it'll move." ;-)

Irony RIP, that had us rolling on the floor. But I digress. Keep it up. An I'll still get the DVD, can't wait to see the making of.
    edited August 2008
    For the record, the problems should NOT happen in Strong Bad. We are working on doing a backwards engine port for Season 2 to try to get the same audio code up and running.
  • edited August 2008
    kewl.

Be a shame to play a game for attractive people with no sound.
  • edited September 2008
    At this point is time to be frustrated. I purchase games on a regular basis that have sound that works properly. If it doesn't I'm usually secure in the fact that it's fixed in a timely manner. I give Telltale leeway as I love this company and I love Sam & Max. But I'm pretty fed up that I have not been able to enjoy the game I purchased for roughly 7 months. EA, A company I loath and buys up some of my favorite software designers is able to fix problems with in this massive frame.

I have 6 GB of ram and can't see any sense in using XP 32. I use Win XP 64 Pro because I like the fact that my 1GB of gfx ram doesn;'t eat into my available ram usage.

It's time to get this fixed. I'm a huge adventure game person. At the same time I'm also patient. At this point I think I've gone beyond the customer patience and have been a sucker.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable expecting this fix out by this point. I'm able to enjoy old and new game alike. At this point Sam & Max is the only game I've purchased that's not enjoyable.
  • edited October 2008
    I must wholeheartedly agree with Roft, this is ridiculous.
  • edited October 2008
    Any updates? It'd be nice to play these games that I purchased ages ago over the Thanksgiving holiday.
  • edited October 2008
    I bought the whole season, and once I got to Episode 203, the alleged "no disco on the dancefloor" bug (no music where the zombies are supposed to dance to my epic subzero sound effects) was there. The OS, of course, is Windows XP 64-bit.

At first I thought it might be something wrong with my computer, but since all the other games I play run flawlessly (with sound and the works), including all the previous S&M games from Telltale, it couldn't be it. I bought the Season 2 DVD without really knowing wether or not the bug had been fixed. Reading this thread confirms it, they didn't get it done in time.

Now, it's been over 2 months since the DVD became available and it's closing in to a year since I bought season 2 (on feb 2009), but there's still no word on how to get this cleaned up.

So...I threw an email to support and got a reply from someone named will:
    Hey Bakkelun,

Yeah, we have heard this problem before with 64 bit users. We are currently working on a fix, but I don't know if it is a few weeks or a few months from being done (our schedule is a bit overloaded at the moment). Unfortunately, I don't know of any workarounds for it either. If you would like a refund, please let me know and I can arrange that for you. For the record, this problem will happen intermittently throughout the rest of the Season, though if I remember correctly, 203 is the most noticeable. Sorry for the inconvenience!

I think what the affected users need are progress reports. How far are Telltale's technical team in finding the error? What has been done, what remains? Never underestimate the power of frustrated users.

sincerely,
    -bakkelun
  • edited March 2009
    Any plan to update S&M Season 2? I've about given up, but curious.
  • edited May 2009
    So disappointed. I have had the highest respect for TTG as a company, but it's waning. I honestly would have expected to be able to play S&M on my 64 bit OS and hear the music by now.

It's not an issue of "I havn't played this game yet since you haven't fixed the audio issue." It's more a matter of wanting to replay them on my main gaming rig, not on my laptop again.

Serious drop of the ball on this one guys.
  • edited June 2009
    Was this updated at all? Seriously its been over 6 months and if its still not fixed then what the hell?
  • edited June 2009
    No, it was not. :mad:
  • edited June 2009
    Apparently this wont be news to anyone, but I can't get the game to sound properly under Windows XP. It's that machigane noise it is, and it's really annoying... A patch would be nice...
  • edited June 2009
    I've been forced to play Sam & Max season 2 through Wine on my Linux partition due to this issue. It works absolutely perfectly on Wine. What a stupidly convoluted work around.
    edited June 2009
    Gnome wrote: »
    Apparently this wont be news to anyone, but I can't get the game to sound properly under Windows XP. It's that machigane noise it is, and it's really annoying... A patch would be nice...

For the record, machinegun noise shouldn't be happening in any version of the build. The only thing that happens with this bug is that the background music doesn't play. If you are getting machinegun sounds, then you should probably update your drivers.

As for this thread, unfortunately people are just too swamped to make this one happen. The problem is that the differences between the game engine today and the game engine a year ago are pretty vast. Attempting to build new versions of Season 2 results in a lot of new problems that unfortunately we don't have the manpower to fix while 3 or 4 other projects are going on at the same time. I haven't given up hope yet, but I'm afraid you will see new games and platforms getting the attention first.
  • edited July 2009
    I hope the Telltale team find this interesting or even useful. Windows 7 x64 RC appears to not have the issue my Windows XP Pro x64 was having with the music audio. The system build is the same as its been for some time, just changed the OS. I'm not certain why the music works in Win 7 x64, but it appears to work just fine.

I loaded up Night of the Raving Dead and used the save I had at the dance floor. The music audio was fine there. I haven't gone through and replayed them all, but this episode had the most noticeable point where the music was not working.
  • edited October 2009
    I've got my new Phenom II 905e, 4GB DDR3 RAM, Windows XP64. I've got similar problems. I've tried 101, 104 and 201 so far. The opening works as it should, but there is no music in the office.
    Will wrote: »
    Ok, I think I know what is going on, but I don't think there is a quick fix for it. Really short version is that it has to do with the on-board audio that both you and Derwin have.
    At first, I also thought, it must be the crappy on-board sound, but then, I installed my M-Audio Delta 44 which worked fine for years in my old PC, and I even disabled on-board sound. I've also updated DirectX, but I'm still experiencing the same problems.

Concerning disabling sound accelleration:
    bangskij wrote: »
    I just tried that. It actually worked, I got music. However, I also got a weird machine-gun like sound when Max walks around and when entering and exiting the menu and when changing settings in it. There was no anomaly when Sam walks around.
    Same here.

I also tried to set the Windows compatibility mode to "Windows XP" and lower, with no difference.

Do you have a 64 bit Windows machine by now? Could you just compile a 64 bit version of the game's engine? Maybe this might fix the issue.
This discussion has been closed.