Monkey Island Fans, help me out here.

edited March 2008 in General Chat
I have a side project I'm doing in RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 where I made a Monkey Island scenario through their Scenario editor. It started out as a silly idea around Monkey Rehab (don't ask), but as I started doing the finishing touches on the scenario, I got to thinking about making a finished park full of Monkey Island game refferances.

Thing is, I've never played it. Please don't hate me.

I did do research, so I'm familar with a few of the characters and gags, but I'm not as familar as someone who has played the game. So, yeah, I need your help. What kind of refferances should I have in my completed park as part of the scenario package to show that you can beat the scenario?*

Here's what I plan to do so far:
  • One rollercoaster titled Le Chuck's Revenge to fill in the token "revenge" coaster most theme parks have.
  • A triple-racer coaster titled, you guessed, Three-Headed Monkey!
  • Renaming Root Beer to Grog for all drink stalls. Same goes for the Inflatable Swords at the Pirate Toy stands, which will be called Insult Swords. If the Joke Stand sells Rubber Chickens, they'll get renamed as well to Rubber Chickens with a Pully in the Middle.
  • A Pirates-esque log flume ride down a voodoo swamp.
  • Stan's name appearing on various services like first aid stations and maybe a restroom for good measure.

* = including a finished scenario that you complete yourself is just a way to show that the objectives are not impossible. It's an honor thing.

Comments

• edited February 2008
    For not having played the games, you already seem to have a good understanding of them! Good plans so far... I will try to think up some ideas, but I have none for now... just wanted to let you know I think your current plans are great.
  • edited February 2008
    Why don't you play them? You're missing out!
  • edited February 2008
    1) Needs more Big Whoop

2) "That's the second biggest [noun (e.g. Monkey Head)] I've ever seen!"

Also, Root Beer was a pretty major feature in the first game...
  • edited February 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    Why don't you play them? You're missing out!
    The games are so old, I'm afraid to buy them used off of amazon and such. Bad experiance with used games no working and then being unable to return them or sell them off to a GameStop-like store. I wish I could find at least the first three in a GameStop-like store, but my area of the US is more fond of shooters than they are of pirate adventure games.
    Aradiel wrote: »
    1) Needs more Big Whoop

2) "That's the second biggest [noun (e.g. Monkey Head)] I've ever seen!"

Also, Root Beer was a pretty major feature in the first game...
    1. What is Big Whoop? That's still a mystery to me even with all the looking around I've done.

2. I could just rename all the "Large" items (large drinks, 1lb. hamburgers, large fries, large bag of candy, etc.) to "Second Largest [whatever] ever sold."
  • edited February 2008
    Zeek wrote: »
    1. What is Big Whoop? That's still a mystery to me even with all the looking around I've done.
    Well, it's not exactly clear what Big Whoop is... in the first game, it's a legendary treasure, as in the second, but then during that game it turns out to be an amusement park of sorts, something which comes back in the third game. You might find some more information on things from the amusement park that you could use, in this article.
  • edited February 2008
    Man, you're going to get all the fun things spoiled (not unlike I did). In any case, to spoil as little as possible (the links Haggis provided have major spoilers) I will point out that the last couple of acts of Monkey Island 3 take place in an amusement park, which (mild spoilers)
    LeChuck build on Monkey Island, and called it "The Carnival of the Damned." It includes a roller coaster which leads into the Giant Monkey Head. One part of the coaster dips into a pool of lava, and other sections loop around animatronic scenes of Monkey Island history (only 4 are shown, but you could probably use a bunch of scenes from the games).
  • edited February 2008
    Yeah, I found screen shots of that area, and will have a "land" called that. But I'm not recreating the Rollercoaster of Death. The Three-Headed Monkey coaster already would cause whiplash to my riders if constructed in real life.:D
  • edited February 2008
    Zeek, you NEED to include Madly-Rotating Buccaneer and Monkey Mountain.
  • edited February 2008
    Madly-Rotating Buccaneer sounds like a good name for a ride. I just got to figure out which one.

Monkey Mountain can't be recreated as much as I would like to have a giant stone head of a monkey in the theme park. My version of RCT3 doesn't like custom scenery. :(

I also just discovered The Brimstone Beach Club. Why didn't anyone tell me about this before?! I now have a reason to build a pool and a large tanning deck in my park! :D
  • edited February 2008
    Monkey Mountain can't be recreated as much as I would like to have a giant stone head of a monkey in the theme park. My version of RCT3 doesn't like custom scenery. :(

Aw. In that case, you should at least name a huge ride "The Second Biggest Monkey Head" to honor it. And put little tiki statues around it, if possible.

Oh, and you should also throw in a SCUMM Bar and a Planet Threepwood restaurant.
  • edited February 2008
    Maybe a Pirates of the Caribbean*-ride?
    Mostly because Ronny.G got some of the inspiration for the game, in there.

Also, it would be great if the log in the flume-ride looked like coffins, but I guess it would be a little bit weird of them to put that into the game...

* Not to be confused with the movies.
  • edited February 2008
    fajerkaos wrote: »
    Maybe a Pirates of the Caribbean*-ride?
    Mostly because Ronny.G got some of the inspiration for the game, in there.

Also, it would be great if the log in the flume-ride looked like coffins, but I guess it would be a little bit weird of them to put that into the game...

* Not to be confused with the movies.
    That's my VooDoo River ride which features a backwards fall into Hell thanks to the VooDoo Lady.

I too would hav eliked it if they had coffin log flume boats, but they don't. They do have crocs as an option for boats, which made me giggle.
  • edited February 2008
    Well, I finished the SCUMM Bar based on the image from the game of the exterior and what wall pieces I had in the game. Unfortunately, the game classifies the building as part of the Western Theme, but that's just the game mechanics for you.

Thought I'd share as a thank you for everyone who posted in this thread helping me out.

http://i25.tinypic.com/xbzi4k.jpg - Because the image is so huge it stretches the screen.
  • edited March 2008
    Presenting, LeChuck's Revenge. The anchor ride in The Carnival of the Damned.

Shot0005.jpg
  • jmmjmm
    edited March 2008
    Nice!

Can you post the ride stats. It looks a bit high on intensity.
  • edited March 2008
    Um, I thought Monkey Mountain was the anchor ride for Big Whoop.
  • edited March 2008
    jmm wrote: »
    Nice!

Can you post the ride stats. It looks a bit high on intensity.

The game is glitch, or it has something to do with my Cheats Custom Family having the Half Friction cheat on. Without it, the coaster doesn't even complete the circut.

When it does, the ratings are as follows:

Excitement - 8.84 (Very High)
    Intensity - 7.23 (High)
    Nausea - 3.56 (Medium)

Maximum Speed - 75mph
    Maximum G-Force - 5Gs (thankfully it is only for a fraction of a second, or else I would have killed a lot of my riders in real life)

Total 'Air' Time - 19 seconds
    Total Inversions - 6
    Um, I thought Monkey Mountain was the anchor ride for Big Whoop.

I'm not recreating the park from the game. I'm making a theme park based on information I've found on the game.

Right now, I'm working on the International House of Mojo.
  • edited March 2008
    Right now, I'm working on the International House of Mojo.

Expect it to have a lot of downtime due to crashes.
  • edited March 2008
    I tend to play Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2 once a year or so. I've played them on all sorts of computers with Vista and XP and win98 and what have you and it always works flawlessly with the SCUMMVM.

http://www.scummvm.org/

Also, if you are worried about getting stuck the web is full of walkthroughs and then there are forums. You haven't really lived before you've been disappointed by the legendary lost treasure of Monkey Island. Oh, and for your amusement park a recreation of Lechucks ship should be mandatory...

b
  • edited March 2008
    bangskij wrote: »
    I tend to play Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2 once a year or so. I've played them on all sorts of computers with Vista and XP and win98 and what have you and it always works flawlessly with the SCUMMVM.

http://www.scummvm.org/

Also, if you are worried about getting stuck the web is full of walkthroughs and then there are forums. You haven't really lived before you've been disappointed by the legendary lost treasure of Monkey Island. Oh, and for your amusement park a recreation of Lechucks ship should be mandatory...

b
    SCUMMVM is a great program and all, but the issue is not "I can't play it," it's "I don't have the game." There's no way to get them at a good price, and they're not on HotU.*

*Err... not that I would know.
  • edited March 2008
    Shot0006.jpg
    jp-30 wrote: »
    Expect it to have a lot of downtime due to crashes.

That's why I picked the log ride. :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.