Multiplayer King's Quest

edited February 2013 in Kings Quest Game
Hello King's Quest fans,

It is exciting to find fans like you. I hope it is appropriate to post this here. My favorite game is the original King's Quest. The series is my favorite series of games. I have played all of them all they way up to King's Quest VII. King's Quest VII was the first King's Quest game that I never finished.

I have not played the Redux versions yet. I apologize for that. But two years ago I stumbled upon Peasant's Quest. It reminded me that I always wanted to play a multiplayer version of King's Quest. NOT an RPG game with a lot grinding and buying potions and swords. But just a game where people could walk around in the same land and solve quests together.

Well, I never found that game and Sierra never made it. So in the past year I have attempted to make a game that is like a multiplayer King's Quest. It is called Paxamore Online at the moment. I would really like your opinions. Be constructive please, not brutal. I am not an artist, but I drew most of the graphics myself.

Please, let me know, though, do you think it is a dumb idea to have a multiplayer King's Quest game? Let me know how you would improve on the game also.

Thanks.
http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/paxamore/

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Looks kinda like The Realm. Which was Sierra's MMO that felt kinda like a massive online Quest for Glory.
  • edited February 2013
    BagginsKQ wrote: »
    Looks kinda like The Realm. Which was Sierra's MMO that felt kinda like a massive online Quest for Glory.

I remember The Realm! I didn't know it was still around. That was back in the day when Sierra was asking what type of online games they should make. I suggested, of course, that they make a multiplayer King's Quest. First they made MedievaLand on The Sierra Network with more of a graphical MUD called The Shadow of Yserbius. Then later on they made The Realm.

That is a fair comparison. However, the thing I didn't like about Sierra's MMO games is they took away most of the quests and problem solving and turned them into more RPG with choosing a character type and then developing the characters skills through combat and buying swords and spells.

That is the difference with Paxamore Online. Your character isn't limited by the type of character you choose in the beginning and it is more about problem solving and quests. More like the original stand-alone Sierra games.
  • edited February 2013
    This looks amazing. Can anybody sign up?
  • edited February 2013
    Fun fact: Leisure Suit Larry 4 was supposed to be multiplayer, but they didn't know if they could make a workable multiplayer adventure game. Hence LSL4 being cancelled.

Also, Ken Williams had planned on (in '96) ALL of Sierra's games and products having a multiplayer component. He hoped games like KQ8, SQ7, QFG5, their cooking products and card games and home and garden software would all have online multiplayer components.
  • edited February 2013
    Whatever they had of LSL4 (even if only ideas) they turned into the Imagination Network.

So far ahead of their time. Too far. And then these other little kid devs come along claiming they invented the genre. Sierra started half the trends 20 years ago that are common place today.
  • edited February 2013
    MtnPeak wrote: »
    This looks amazing. Can anybody sign up?

Yes MtnPeak. It is an open beta test. Feel free to play it and let us know what you think.

Here is a screenshot:
    ballroom.gif
  • edited February 2013
    Fun fact: Leisure Suit Larry 4 was supposed to be multiplayer, but they didn't know if they could make a workable multiplayer adventure game. Hence LSL4 being cancelled.

That is one of the rumors. The other thing Al Lowe points out is that he didn't really have a story for LSL4. LSL3 really had a proper happy ending, and he didn't have any idea how to change things, so he jumped to V in order to have a starting point where everything would automatically leave Larry open to go after women again.

I suppose the main issue of Larry 4 would have had to involve Larry losing his job at Sierra, and he and Patty would have to have a divorce. Which would likely would have happened if Larry was sleeping around and having affairs with other women in a LSL4 scenario... But that wouldn't be a very proper game to play, and would be kinda of a downer ending!

Hence, jump to LSL5, and only marginly hint at what happened... Patty and Larry aren't exactly on perfect terms, and you get hints that Larry screwed up big time with Sierra... That LSL4 was stolen before it could go on sale!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.