Could the Hi-Res version of KQ6 ever play on modern PCs?

Do you think the Windows/Hi Res version of KQ6 could ever be modified/reworked so it could be compatible with modern day PCs, without having to use ScummVMM? Basically sort of like how GOG reworked KQ8's files to make it compatible with modern computers?

Also, a question...If old school games have been reworked to work on Windows 7 PCs, would they then be compatible with systems like Windows 8, and so on, ensuring at least they'll be able to be played on computers in the future? Like, would the Sierra collections on GOG work on Windows 8?

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Anything is possible. It just takes reverse engineering, hex editing, patching, etc. That's why ScummVM can do what it does. It was reverse engineered. That's why MOE works from GOG. Same reason. As long as you have dedicated people who know what they're doing anything is possible.
  • edited February 2013
    There wasn't much to 'rework' KQ8... It was a 32-bit Win95 game. All they did was modify the 'exe'.

The 16-bit era win 3.1 stuff is an another matter altogether...

Also what is wrong with ScummVM? Other than maybe it changes the aspect ratio some of the images somewhat. and uses the dos cursors...
  • edited February 2013
    BagginsKQ wrote: »
    There wasn't much to 'rework' KQ8... It was a 32-bit Win95 game. All they did was modify the 'exe'.

The 16-bit era win 3.1 stuff is an another matter altogether...

Also what is wrong with ScummVM? Other than maybe it changes the aspect ratio some of the images somewhat. and uses the dos cursors...

The aspect ratio is really the big problem. Could say it's petty but it's kinda sucky having the game screen confined to a little boxed in area or having the intro cinematic being a tiny screen, especially when I can remember the game taking up the full screen and the cinematic being a lot bigger when I actually did play it on a Windows 3.1 computer back in the day.
  • edited February 2013
    Uh ScummVM works in full screen... I think alt-enter does the trick.

Different type of aspect ratio than I was talking about though. I think it stretches some of the closeups (the VGA ones) makes them taller than they used to appear.
  • edited February 2013
    BagginsKQ wrote: »
    Uh ScummVM works in full screen... I think alt-tab does the trick.

Different type of aspect ratio than I was talking about though. I think it stretches some of the closeups (the VGA ones) makes them taller than they used to appear.

Even at full screen on SCUMM, the game is boxed in on both sides by black bars, sort of like a widescreen format film.
  • edited February 2013
    That sounds like an issue with your computer, or you haven't fiddled with various settings to get it to the way you want it. I get it covering full screen... No bars at all.

You can have it stretch to 'wide screen' keep in mind that is breaking the original aspect ratio of the game. I don't mind this personally. But if you want to keep original aspect ratio of the game, it will have black bars on the left and right. The old games were made for old square CRT monitors.

These games also come out somewhat blurry, since these games don't work in modern LCD's native resolution. So you have to give it some slack.
  • edited February 2013
    Anakin, Sierra's adventures were 4:3 ratio games. Not 16:9/16:10 widescreen. They were made with rectangular pixels in mind (something impossible for LCD monitors to replicate). Black bars on the left and right are SUPPOSED to be there because it wasn't made for a widescreen monitor. If you don't activate the (optional) aspect ratio correction, this isn't an issue, but your image will be squished vertically. The aspect ratio correction checkbox makes it look like it's supposed to.

Also, it won't be blurry if you set the graphics rendering to normal2x or normal3x. Or even normal4x.
  • edited February 2013
    I don't mean blurry, as applying a filter to blur the pixels, but that pixels don't come out as clean as they would be on a CRT. 320 x 240 doesn't look as clean on a modern LCD screen, as it is a non native resolution.

There is a kinda of 'distortion' or 'stretching' to graphics in resolutions outside of a lcd's native resolution. Not anything you can do about it.

Also keep in mind if you really want 'stretch to fit' to widescreen on your monitor (which is breaking the game's original aspect ratio). For my laptop (no idea if this will work on yours), I can use ctrl+alt+F11 to switch between different modes (I believe this command has something to do with the Intel chip rather than the Nvidia chip); First option that maintains aspect ratio centered, I get black bars on all sides. 2nd mode stretches it to top and bottom edge, this leaves black bars on left and right side, but maintains general aspect ratio, and finally stretch to fit across the entire screen (obviously this really breaks the aspect ratio, stretching the pixels).

You can also check your video settings menu for the 'scaling' options, that should let you also access the modes. If you have two video chips like my computer has you may have to experiment with the settings in both. Although in general 2d stuff the Intel chip should probably be default.

For some games I notice that the two chips confuses the system, and it doesn't always switch to 'stretch to fit' (even if I want that mode), and defaults to the 'centered image' mode. I have to use the ctrl-alt-f11 to force it to switch to full screen mode.

Again things may be different with your particular system.
  • edited February 2013
    True. The higher resolution you have, though, the less noticeable it is. (blurring)
  • exoexo
    edited February 2013
    lol. I think you broke Anakin guys.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.