Should KQ games have a day/night cycle?

In almost every KQ game--with the exception of KQ4--it is perpetually day time. You can have the player character stand there for hours and it will still be the same time. I always thought this to be a flaw in the series. While I don't think that a day/night cycle should be timed out--like, have to do with puzzles or events (ala QFG), I do think just having the day slowly transition from morning to afternoon to night, and perhaps adding in an element like a KQ character having to find a place to sleep or something during the night, might add a more modern touch to the games. You could even have it be slightly like KQ4 in that certain things or certain characters can only be met at night or something. I just think it'd be a nice touch.

Comments

• edited February 2013
    No reason, unless the story calls for it...

It's actually pretty unrealistic for a character to spend 4-5 days of cycling time, without eating, sleeping or other bodily functions... It works well in RPGs because you generally have to maintain your health, and rest.

It might have worked for KQ3 since there is a bed you can lay on, and it might have been nice to 'speed' up time a little to get Manannan to move off faster. But still it never was important part of that game.

On a side note midway point in KQ5 may be at night, but rather more akin to being in the arctic, as there is a rather dominate moon when you are passing though Icebella's domain.

Ooga Booga is kinda in perpetual night as well...

KQ8 starts out dark, but gets brighter the closer you get to the Realm of the Sun.
  • edited February 2013
    Yeah - I loved the Day/Night cycle in KQ4, but not every game called for it. Most games were designed to be played out over a day.

KQ3 could have used it.

Bt
  • edited February 2013
    In almost every KQ game--with the exception of KQ4--it is perpetually day time. You can have the player character stand there for hours and it will still be the same time. I always thought this to be a flaw in the series. While I don't think that a day/night cycle should be timed out--like, have to do with puzzles or events (ala QFG), I do think just having the day slowly transition from morning to afternoon to night, and perhaps adding in an element like a KQ character having to find a place to sleep or something during the night, might add a more modern touch to the games. You could even have it be slightly like KQ4 in that certain things or certain characters can only be met at night or something. I just think it'd be a nice touch.

Yes, absolutely! I hope the future non-Telltale KQ games have the day/night cycles. In a way, it almost makes the game feel twice as big, since there can be totally new characters or situations to encounter during the night.
  • edited February 2013
    "Yes, absolutely! I hope the future non-Telltale KQ"
    This is lame... You don't have to append non-Telltale to everything.

You could have made your point with just saying KQ in general.

If Telltale does make a game, you basically contradicted your own premise that you think all future games should have cycles. You are saying that a hypothetical Telltale's games shouldn't have cycles. If telltale did use cycles would you be upset at it?

Didn't first episode of Walking Dead have the option to leave during the day or wait until night? Limited cycle for purpose of the storyline choice. Some of the other episodes also cycled towards night as the story needed it.
  • edited February 2013
    There's a need for day cycle only if the game plot asks for it. I have no problems with games with static time, like when it's always 10 o'clock in Melee island.
  • edited February 2013
    KQ4 would transition to night time without doing the proper plot-advancing puzzles if you took too long....very very long.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.