My Theory on TTG's King's Quest

edited March 2013 in Kings Quest Game
This idea has probably already been discussed, but I believe Telltale could end up using another developer for the KQ games, while still publishing them.

Community moderator Jennifer commented on this earlier:
Jennifer wrote: »
They did that once so far with Hector: Badge of Carnage.

I suppose it's possible that could be Telltale's plan for King's Quest. We don't know anything about Telltale's King's Quest so far, other than the fact that an internal team was set up for it a while back (but they also had a team at Telltale working on Hector since the game was converted to the Telltale Tool internally by Telltale themselves).

Since Telltale as a developer seems to be moving away from more traditional-style adventure gameplay and towards more interactive movie-style products, this would make sense to me. It would allow Telltale to differentiate the new KQ games, brand-wise, from the larger TTG brand.

As a KQ fan who looks forward to new KQ games, I would be thrilled if something like this happened. It could ensure a new KQ got a proper budget and also might mean we'd get something closer to a true adventure game experience. This would make me so happy. I would love Telltale so much if this happened.

What are your guys' thoughts?

King's Quest will rise again! King's Quest Today, King's Quest Tomorrow, King's Quest Forever! :-)

Comments

• exoexo
    edited March 2013
    I'm not sure I understand why Activision (a publisher) would, license out a game to another company... simply for them to use another developer....

That is a lot of overheard... two publishers for a game that has a questionable chance at financial success?

Not to mention, the more people involved, the more chance there would be of talk involved of something in the works.

Doesn't make sense to me, but of course that doesn't mean it isn't possible....
  • edited March 2013
    I was thinking the same thing. The only explanation I could offer is that maybe Telltale would be better able to market it because their fan base is comprised of more adventure gamers.

I certainly don't know much about the legal and licensing aspects of all this. I leave that to the legal eagles to wrangle over.

As for the chance of a new KQ's financial success, I feel confident that a new KQ game, if done right, could be a success. It is still a big name in adventure gaming, and would generate a lot news coverage for that reason.

It's going to happen!
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited March 2013
    exo wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand why Activision (a publisher) would, license out a game to another company... simply for them to use another developer....

That is a lot of overheard... two publishers for a game that has a questionable chance at financial success?

Not to mention, the more people involved, the more chance there would be of talk involved of something in the works.

Doesn't make sense to me, but of course that doesn't mean it isn't possible....
    It's not completely unheard of. Codemasters is doing that with Leisure Suit Larry, licensing it to Replay, while N-Fusion is the company who's handling the development side of things.

I'm not too sure that Telltale's plan is to have another developer handle the the license though, since they almost always handle the licences themselves. Although, like I said in that quote above, they published another developer's game once with Hector, so anything's possible.
  • edited March 2013
    Jennifer wrote: »
    It's not completely unheard of. Codemasters is doing that with Leisure Suit Larry, licensing it to Replay, while N-Fusion is the company who's handling the development side of things.

That's a good point. I didn't even think of Replay.

I'm back to thinking that TTG KQ is probably going to happen. I go back and forth on a daily basis. :p Maybe they, for differentiation purposes, will introduce some kind of sub-brand... like maybe a "Telltale Classics" line of games?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.