Fables first look at Fablescon on 23/3!

Mmmm, something is up at Fablescon! :D

Saturday, 3:00 pm:
"Boring Panel Room
In the Shadow of the Wolf. As long as we’re already in this room talking about Fables, Telltale Games gives us a first look at their upcoming video game based on the Fables Series. Join Richard Iggo from Telltale, as he grills Bill Willingham, or maybe it will be the other way around, but in any case, one of them will show you a few visuals from the game, and give away as few secrets as they can hold on to."

Source:
http://fablescon.com/

Comments

• puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2013
    OH MY GOODNESS I cannot WAIT for folks outside the office to finally see what this game looks like.
  • edited March 2013
    Awesome!

Guess I'll have something to look forward to after work. :p
  • edited March 2013
    Doesn't look like it will be a "Boring Panel Room."

Can't wait for this! Visuals sound great, but it would be awesome to see actual gameplay.
  • edited March 2013
    Aww man, I was hoping we'd get to see it at PAX East.
    edited March 2013
    Aww man, I was hoping we'd get to see it at PAX East.

Telltale won't have a booth at PAX East this year (sadface).
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited March 2013
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    OH MY GOODNESS I cannot WAIT for folks outside the office to finally see what this game looks like.

Errr, define "folks". Will the footage be online after the panel?
  • edited March 2013
    Errr, define "folks". Will the footage be online after the panel?

I predict shaky-cam/cell phone footage of the presentation within minutes of the panel. Maybe even within minutes of the presentation itself.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited March 2013
    I'm too old for shaky cell cam footage.

I'm even too old for skype via iphones. Who ever told these people that this is bearable for the conversation partner?
  • edited March 2013
    Telltale won't have a booth at PAX East this year (sadface).

Will Telltale have any presence at PAX at all? I know they're saving Fables for the Fables con, but we all sort of know there might be something else coming soon too. Something involving...TF2 items?

Please note that I'm not asking you to reveal any possible new game or anything, just if Telltale will have any presence at all. ;) PAX just seems like a logical place for that kind of announcement.
    edited March 2013
    Tjibbbe wrote: »
    Will Telltale have any presence at PAX at all?

Not at PAX East. I think everyone is staying put on the west coast this weekend, except the people heading out to FablesCon.
  • edited March 2013
    So, today is the day of Telltale's panel. If my calculations are correct (and they probably aren't) it starts in about 9 hours. Given that the panel lasts one hour, it will be 2 AM here (the Netherlands) before stuff starts appearing online, at the earliest. I guess that means I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Given Telltale's track record in recent years, there's usually a period of one month between the first real information/trailer and the actual release of the game, so that would mean the season would start in april/may. There's also another game reveal on april 1st, so these are exciting time for us fans. Good stuff :).
  • edited March 2013
    So, today is the day of Telltale's panel. If my calculations are correct (and they probably aren't) it starts in about 9 hours. Given that the panel lasts one hour, it will be 2 AM here (the Netherlands) before stuff starts appearing online, at the earliest. I guess that means I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Given Telltale's track record in recent years, there's usually a period of one month between the first real information/trailer and the actual release of the game, so that would mean the season would start in april/may. There's also another game reveal on april 1st, so these are exciting time for us fans. Good stuff :).
    is the key party a game reveal?
  • edited March 2013
    Tomi021 wrote: »
    is the key party a game reveal?

Well, it could be something else I suppose, but there's already been a leak that strongly suggested that
    there's a sequel to Poker Night at the Inventory coming. Team Fortress 2 items from 5 different franchises (Sam & Max, Evil Dead, Portal, Borderlands and Venture Bros) were added in an update about a week ago, and the filenames contained references to 'PN2' and the fact that they were promotional items, which means that you would get them through another game on Steam (like with the first Poker Night). Telltale hasn't commented at all on the subject, and the discovery hasn't been reported on the bigger gaming sites, leading some to believe that Telltale already informed them and that they're waiting until the press embargo is lifted.

Also, most importantly, the art on the Key Party-website matches the UI-art in Poker Night exactly.

I spoilered my post in case you want the game reveal to be a surprise. Highlight to read!
  • edited March 2013
    Well, it could be something else I suppose, but there's already been a leak that strongly suggested that
    there's a sequel to Poker Night at the Inventory coming. Team Fortress 2 items from 5 different franchises (Sam & Max, Evil Dead, Portal, Borderlands and Venture Bros) were added in an update about a week ago, and the filenames contained references to 'PN2' and the fact that they were promotional items, which means that you would get them through another game on Steam (like with the first Poker Night). Telltale hasn't commented at all on the subject, and the discovery hasn't been reported on the bigger gaming sites, leading some to believe that Telltale already informed them and that they're waiting until the press embargo is lifted.

Also, most importantly, the art on the Key Party-website matches the UI-art in Poker Night exactly.

I spoilered my post in case you want the game reveal to be a surprise. Highlight to read!
    Thanks exciting news :)
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Well, the panel's over now (it's past 4 PM now in Minnesota), but nothing's hit the net yet.

So, you're probably right about it's public reveal not happening until tomorrow.
  • edited March 2013
    ....So?
    No report?
    No images/photos/info?
    :(
  • edited March 2013
    I googled my ass off, but nothing to find. I guess nobody in the audience was interested in sharing the information. Here's hoping Telltale will put something online in a couple of hours (then again, it's sunday...).
  • edited March 2013
    I'm not getting my hopes up for an update today. Telltale's "key party" site mentions the 25th, and it makes sense to just update everything on the same day.

I was hoping for at least a blog post or something from someone who attended the panel, but I guess Fablescon isn't big enough to warrant any media presence. Also, PAX is this weekend.
  • edited March 2013
    The 25th sounds about right, but yeah I guess updating everything at the same time does make SOME sense. Would be nice if they threw us a bone, guess were gonna have to just wait it out.
  • edited March 2013
    The 25th sounds about right, but yeah I guess updating everything at the same time does make SOME sense. Would be nice if they threw us a bone, guess were gonna have to just wait it out.

GDC does start at the 25th. Telltale isn't listed as an exhibitor, so Fables probably won't have a presence at the show floor. There are a couple (I counted 4) panels with people from Telltale, but three of those are about Walking Dead and one of those is about breaking into the video game business (with Jake Rodkin). Nothing about Telltale's general future or Fables, but who knows if they'll let something slip at the Walking Dead panels.
  • edited March 2013
    GDC does start at the 25th. Telltale isn't listed as an exhibitor, so Fables probably won't have a presence at the show floor. There are a couple (I counted 4) panels with people from Telltale, but three of those are about Walking Dead and one of those is about breaking into the video game business (with Jake Rodkin). Nothing about Telltale's general future or Fables, but who knows if they'll let something slip at the Walking Dead panels.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jake hints a little about The Walking Dead: Season 2, Fables, or the new Poker Night. Guess were gonna have to play the waiting game now.
  • edited March 2013
    "And, for those of you who are gamers, or plan to be, now that you know there’s a FABLES video game arriving this summer, Telltale discussed he game and revealed some sneak peeks. Get ready to embark on the magical adventure."

source: http://www.vertigocomics.com/blog/2013/03/24/news-from-fablescon
  • edited March 2013
    Starting to read the comics now, really looking forwarrd to it. Hoping to get as far as possible before the game comes out.
  • edited March 2013
    "And, for those of you who are gamers, or plan to be, now that you know there’s a FABLES video game arriving this summer, Telltale discussed he game and revealed some sneak peeks. Get ready to embark on the magical adventure."

source: http://www.vertigocomics.com/blog/2013/03/24/news-from-fablescon

I've been searching for these sneak peeks and haven't found them but if you do please let us know ;)
  • edited March 2013
    From "Level Up Entertainment":
    "There is also a game coming from Tell Tale, that is looking very exciting!"

Froma "Comic book Resources":
    "[...] and the highly anticipated Fables video game from Telltale Games will be released this summer."
  • edited March 2013
    Here's something interesting
    “Fables” fans also got to see their favorite winged monkey librarian take flight Saturday during Telltale Games’ preview of the upcoming video game set in the comic’s world. The title won’t be announced until Wednesday, but Telltale’s Richard Iggo said gamers would play as Bigby Wolf, that there would be new characters and that the story is set before Issue 1 of the series. He said players will feel the “narrative clock ticking” in the game, and that outcomes are not determined only by choices, but also by the timing of those choices.

“We’ve always strived to see the players of our games … as the last collaborator in the creation of the story,” he said.

Willingham said the game is canon, and there are ideas Telltale originated that he wants to “steal” for future “Fables” issues.

Emphasis mine.
  • edited March 2013
    mosfet wrote: »
    Holy mother of god that is the most exciting info on Fables yet :D
    edited March 2013
    So it's a prequel, there will be some new characters in the game, and Bill Willingham will use Telltale's ideas in future issues of the comics. And the decision timer seems to have a more important role in Fables than in The Walking Dead.

Although that latter part might be bad news to some that wanted a way to disable the timer in The Walking Dead, I find the prospect of the timing of the choices actually affecting the gameplay very interesting indeed. :)
  • edited March 2013
    Interesting that it's a prequel.. the storyline from the beginning of Fables was so good..and they don't get any of that? Really needs to start with a murder that Bigby is investigating..guess we will have to see what it is then..
  • edited March 2013
    I'm glad it'll be set before the comic. While I've read the first few issues, I can't call myself truly familiar with the source, so it's nice non-fans won't be alienated. I've read enough to know Bigby's a cool guy, though, so I'm also glad he's the protagonist. :p

But I'm not glad that, so far, it seems identical to The Walking Dead gameplay-wise. We all liked TWD, but I really don't want interactive movies to become the new standard for Telltale, which is looking more and more like the case.
    edited March 2013
    But I'm not glad that, so far, it seems identical to The Walking Dead gameplay-wise. We all liked TWD, but I really don't want interactive movies to become the new standard for Telltale, which is looking more and more like the case.
    I'm not too worried about that since Jake stated that he chooses the most appropriate game play for the franchise when designing a game. This seems to work well for serious games based on comic franchises (as The Walking Dead shows), and they do seem to be tweaking the formula for Fables.

If King's Quest is released (or Sam & Max Season 4, etc.) I'm sure that they'll use more adventure game style game play since it's appropriate for those particular franchises.
    edited March 2013
    Tomorrow can't get here fast enough...
  • edited March 2013
    Tomorrow can't get here fast enough...

You heard it here first folks, information is definitely coming out tomorrow!
  • edited March 2013
    It's already tomorrow in some parts of the world.... ;)
  • edited March 2013
    Bah, tomorrow never comes.
  • edited March 2013
    Bah, tomorrow never comes.

I thought tomorrow never dies.
    edited March 2013
    I thought tomorrow never dies.
    It does, it will just die another day.
  • edited March 2013
    Jennifer wrote: »
    It does, it will just die another day.

Now, is that before or after we live and let die?
  • edited March 2013
    :confused:Sooo... What hapens today puzzlebox?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.