Steve Purcell interviewed about Sam & Max at GameCloud

edited January 2006 in Sam & Max
( Source )
Steve Purcell - I'm really excited creatively to be working with Telltale. The idea of the smaller format games is like TV in a way because you get a chance to re-examine the direction you're taking and respond to input from the fans. Many times you'll see a TV series find it's way as it progresses and the creators get a chance to hone in on what they discover are the strengths of the property. Telltale is open to trying different approaches so it's the ideal creative situation for me.

Gamecloud - What input will you personally be giving to the game?

Steve Purcell - I'll work with their team to create a story line in which we can grow the world over time. Sam & Max's office is already a rich environment and I imagine a story that starts in their neighborhood and expands outward over time. I like self-contained stories but with an undercurrent of something bigger that could link the chapters together. I'll plan to offer some character designs and dialog and mostly a lot of bothersome opinions about everything.

Ooh - more discussion about the episodes having a bigger undercurrent / theme spanning them all.

Awesome...

Comments

• edited November 2005
    As much as I like hearing about the upcoming game, I'm still way more excited about the upcoming web comic he'll be doing. :)
  • edited November 2005
    And the possible new trade paperback next year.
  • edited November 2005
    awesome.. that sam and max in space game sounded really good..that may make a great episode...i'm excited about it all, new games, new web comics, new comics..
  • edited November 2005
    I think one of the Freelance Police episodes took place in space. I'm guessing not the same story, but still. A space case!
  • edited November 2005
    Yeah, there was a TV version of the comic Bad Day on the Moon.
  • edited November 2005
    I've always wanted a game based on one the comic's, but i dont think it would work well. it would be a realy short game unless they decided to throw in a bunch more stuff. i think a bunch of epasodic games and in the end it all comes together with one big plot, what would be even better if you did'nt know that they ware all connected untill the very end and then BAM your hit with a super plot and find out that sam is'nt realy a dog. he's a clone of a moon rat gone wrong. and max has been waring pants all along there just invisiable
  • edited November 2005
    and in the end it all comes together with one big plot, what would be even better if you did'nt know that they ware all connected untill the very end and then BAM your hit with a super plot and find out that sam is'nt realy a dog. he's a clone of a moon rat gone wrong. and max has been waring pants all along there just invisiable
    The end??? :O But we only just got them back... ;)

hehe... of course, you mean the end of that particular story arc.

Also, Sam will actually turn out to be a bear, which explains why he's so dangerous.
  • edited November 2005
    yes of course, at the end of the individual set of storys. theirs always room for more sam and max
  • edited November 2005
    one thing from the comics i'd like to see is when sam and max were kids..that short comic was hilarious.. maybe they could have a flashback :D
  • edited December 2005
    one thing from the comics i'd like to see is when sam and max were kids..that short comic was hilarious.. maybe they could have a flashback :D

*Pulls your shirt over your head and ties it in a knot*

Yes. So cliché, it's funny.
  • edited January 2006

So... Sam and Max are stuck on a desert isle, with no cell phones, GPS devices or radio (well, they have one, but its broken) and they are being chased by a polar bear, AND ALL THEY CAN DO IS HAVE FLASHBACKS?!?!??!

Ok.
  • edited January 2006
    So... Sam and Max are stuck on a desert isle, with no cell phones, GPS devices or radio (well, they have one, but its broken) and they are being chased by a polar bear, AND ALL THEY CAN DO IS HAVE FLASHBACKS?!?!??!

Ok.

That would be pure gold, man. :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.