Probably the worst Poker engine ever written.

So I'm holding three queens and two jacks. Claptrap has three tens and two jacks. Claptrap wins. Why? Because the game says I only have "three of a kind".

There must be at least a million poker engines out there. You guys couldn't be arsed to buy one that works?

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Was this Texas or Omaha.
  • edited April 2013
    Pretty sure it can only be Omaha.
    And someone clearly didn't understand the rules.

Which maybe should be explained the first time you play Omaha.
  • edited April 2013
    They MADE this poker engine for their specific needs.
  • edited April 2013
    I think it's safe to say that with their third poker game that they know what they're doing.
  • edited April 2013
    Ryu-Chan wrote: »
    They MADE this poker engine for their specific needs.
    Which explains why it has bugs like raising putting the wrong amount of money in the pot. (I hear this was patched in the PC version of PN2, but it's still in the others, and it's been in PN1 for a very long time now.)
    I think it's safe to say that with their third poker game that they know what they're doing.
    It's safe to say that if you consider what I just said, they clearly do not. I wish I didn't have to say this, especially since I'm a fan of Telltale in general, but their poker games are a total bust with me.
  • edited April 2013
    I find it hilarious how many people think Omaha is bugged because they didn't read the two page long cheat sheet on how to play it
  • edited April 2013
    When Poker Night 1 came out, a lot of people thought it was bugged because they didn't realize that everybody shares the cards in the middle...
  • edited April 2013
    You don't get to use all four cards in your hand (the hole cards). You use exactly two of them, and three from the community cards.

I'm guessing your hole cards were two queens, a jack, and something else. Since you only could use two of your hole cards, you got two queens since that was your best possible hand.

It's not the 'worst Poker engine' if it follows the rules that you didn't bother to learn. I mean, I've slipped on that myself, forgetting that I can only use two hole cards in Omaha.
  • edited April 2013
    So many different forms of poker...
  • edited April 2013
    I dominated an entire game of Omaha and I still dont know how to play it. :D
  • edited April 2013
    Oh that makes sense...
    I was wondering what was happening
    Omaha is weird I think I'll stick to hold em
  • edited April 2013
    All of Telltale's poker games make a million times more sense than Caravan from Fallout: New Vegas. And yeah, Omaha could do with an explanation when you go into it, I didn't know why it wasn't recognising my hands until I looked at the cheat sheet. Now that I know what I'm doing, I'm having better luck with Omaha than I am with Texas.
  • edited April 2013
    I understand the rules for Omaha fine, but I still find it a lot harder than Texas mostly because I don't really know the value of my hand. I've called an all-in, thought I was behind when I saw the cards, only to see the odds favoring me (I'm guessing I had a lot of outs).
  • edited April 2013
    Yeah, that's a large part of why I don't like Omaha. For poker to play well, you really need to be able to make snap decisions (people in real poker games play fast, especially in online poker), and Omaha isn't very conducive towards that.

To be honest, when I heard Poker Night 2 has Omaha, I thought, "Really? Omaha? Really?"
  • edited April 2013
    furrykef wrote: »
    Yeah, that's a large part of why I don't like Omaha. For poker to play well, you really need to be able to make snap decisions (people in real poker games play fast, especially in online poker), and Omaha isn't very conducive towards that.

To be honest, when I heard Poker Night 2 has Omaha, I thought, "Really? Omaha? Really?"
    mosfet wrote: »
    I understand the rules for Omaha fine, but I still find it a lot harder than Texas mostly because I don't really know the value of my hand. I've called an all-in, thought I was behind when I saw the cards, only to see the odds favoring me (I'm guessing I had a lot of outs).

Omaha takes a LOT of practice to play well. Wait until you play Pot Limit Omaha/8.

Omaha was 'designed', if you will, to provide more action. In Holdem, there are many spots where one player is "dominated" - where from preflop starting cards, one player has 80% or more of a chance to win. The best preflop starting hands are much more likely to hold up in Holdem.

In Omaha, it's rare for even the best hand (AAKK double suited or AAJT double suited - both are about the same value) to be more than a 60% favorite over any four random cards.

(This is why offering a 25 big-blind, No LIMIT tournament in Omaha a bit silly, but whatever.)

Try playing some play-money games on PokerStars.net. You'll see what I mean, very quickly.
  • edited April 2013
    Oh, if you'd like, here's a quick guide to "good" starting hands.

Good things to have:

* A pair of aces. (but don't get married to them if you don't hit top set)
    * An ace, and another card of the same suit.
    * Four cards that are connected or have a one-gap at the bottom. Gaps at the top are bad, as they can leave you "freerolling" you against the same straight that you have, but the other guy has a higher straight draw. JT97 and JT87 are fine. QT98 is garbage.
    * Two different suits, each with two cards (double suited)

Defects:

* Three or four of a suit. You essentially make it harder for you to make a flush when you have your own outs.
    * Pairs, especially low pairs. Bottom set and middle set rarely hold up when there's action. Plus, pairs only improve with two cards out of the deck and lower your straight possibilities.
    * "Badugi" - four cards of different suits.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.