Zyzobia?

Sorry if I'm just uninformed (I haven't played S&M Season 3 yet, unfortunately), but what the hell is Zyzobia? It comes up more than one time in Poker Night 2 (Sam brings it up, then Brocks brings it up again in another conversation), and I've tried searching on Google and on here but I get no results whatsoever. I also haven't seen anyone talking about it.

So if someone could kill my ignorance, please tell me what's this Zyzobia stuff, if it means anything at all. I'm really curious.

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Whatever it is, it's not an S&M Season 3 thing.
  • edited May 2013
    furrykef wrote: »
    Whatever it is, it's not an S&M Season 3 thing.

Maybe it's a hint for the plot of the next Sam and Max season? From what I recall, the conversation is about how Max is the chosen one and he will destroy everything, something along those lines. According to Sam someone I don't recall kept saying that word, and the people who gathered at some location for an annual burning of a Max statue (just a joke) did the same thing in the last event but also chanted the word Zyzobia this time. I really don't get what's going on.

What is most curious is that if you search on Google for Zyzobia, it only appears 1 result, that has nothing to do with anything. If you search for Zyzobia on the Telltale forums or Youtube, it comes up with nothing at all. It's like Telltale Games searched for a word that is never used just to troll us.
  • edited May 2013
    Max being the chosen one to destroy the world was mentioned a lot in season 3. Dunno about Zyzobia though.
  • ttg_Stemmlettg_Stemmle Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2013
    Zyzobia is...

...the key to an adventure Sam and Max are having between between their evenings at the Inventory. After a number of play sessions, you'll get the full story, as well one for Ash, Brock, and Claptrap.

As to the origin of the word "Zyzobia," and why it's been used to replace another word, I think I'll let that mystery bubble for a few more days.

Mike "All Enigmatic 'N' Stuff" Stemmle

PS Having just looked some stuff on the Internets, I'd be willing to bet that a clever Poker Night Enthusiast can probably figure out the mystery of Sam and Max's Zyzobia Story in about five minutes.
  • edited May 2013
    I tried to be clever and reversed the letters in alphabetical order and got Abalyrz, which means nothing whatsoever it seems.

My only chance will be to just keep playing even though I just hit the big 1 million, I guess!

(p.s. I approve of Artie Flopshark III, Baby Better, you guys were right about 'a legacy' but I still wish someone had demeaning comments about Artie in-game)
    edited May 2013
    I'll say this: If you've heard all five or so chapters of Sam and Max's tale of Zyzobia (you can only hear new chapters in separate play sessions, NOT just separate tournaments), you've heard enough to figure out the mystery of the story. IF you know where to look on the Internet.

Mike "Zyzobia is NOT the key" Stemmle
  • edited May 2013
    Am I the only one who hasn't heard any of these overarching-storyline conversations? I heard two about Brock Samson trying to find his Alien Invasion cards, and that was it.

Is it dependent on themes? (I was using the Venture Bros. theme when those Alien Invasion conversations played.) That said, I've been using the Sam and Max theme most of all (I was trying really hard to hear the Hit the Road theme) and never heard anything about this Zyzobia stuff.
    edited May 2013
    Am I the only one who hasn't heard any of these overarching-storyline conversations? I heard two about Brock Samson trying to find his Alien Invasion cards, and that was it.

Is it dependent on themes? (I was using the Venture Bros. theme when those Alien Invasion conversations played.) That said, I've been using the Sam and Max theme most of all (I was trying really hard to hear the Hit the Road theme) and never heard anything about this Zyzobia stuff.

A few things about the stories...

1) Story chapters will only show up in different play sessions (i.e. turning off the game and starting anew). It's supposed to simulate the feeling of calling it a night, and coming back to the table another night.
    2) New stories won't start until the current one is finished. So, in theory you might plays about 25 times until you hear them all.
    3) The stories tend to put a premium on all the players being at the table. So, if you're playing an aggressive style of game that knocks people out early (even if they're NOT the current storyteller) you may not hear their story in that tournament, 'cause all the folks aren't available.
    4) My memory of the logic is a little hinkey, but you MIGHT be more likely to hear a story in an un-themed tournament, 'cause priority might be placed on the themed banter.

Mike "I like stories" Stemmle
  • edited May 2013
    Hehe, very interesting stuff. I wasn't aware there were more conversations about this Zyzobia story. I'm definitely going to try and see this through. If I discover what this is about I will come back to post here.
    edited May 2013
    No one's figured out Zyzobia yet?

Son, I am disappoint...

Mike "Would've Thought the Giant Penguin Was a Dead Giveaway" Stemmle
  • edited May 2013
    I am piecing it together but it is some ancient cult that worship Max...
    I am almost thinking some how Charlie Ho Tep is involved...
    edited May 2013
    Hudomonkey wrote: »
    I am piecing it together but it is some ancient cult that worship Max...
    I am almost thinking some how Charlie Ho Tep is involved...

Colder...

It's not related to anything that happened in Telltale's S&M...

Mike "Or Hit the Road, for that Matter" Stemmle
  • edited May 2013
    Most people haven't finished the conversation, and certainly haven't memorized it. It's hard to figure out what you're talking about if you haven't figured out what you're talking about. We need a transcript, THEN we can piece together the puzzle.

Ryu "Mike has too much faith in us" Chan
  • edited May 2013
    DISCLAIMER: I haven't played the game yet, but this is the Internet, so that won't stop me from making wild guesses based solely on this discussion.

Does it have anything to do with Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness"? (Giant penguins?)

Or the adventure game magic word "XYZZY"? (Xyzobia?)

Klatuu "Stab in the dark" ...er... Klatuu
    edited May 2013
    Ryu-Chan wrote: »
    Most people haven't finished the conversation, and certainly haven't memorized it. It's hard to figure out what you're talking about if you haven't figured out what you're talking about. We need a transcript, THEN we can piece together the puzzle.

Ryu "Mike has too much faith in us" Chan

I have lots of faith.... and it IS just a silly Easter Egg :)

Mike "It's All About the Giant Penguin" Stemmle
  • edited May 2013
    I think I know what it is...

But just in case...

1) Is it something Sam and Max fans have been asking for?

And if the answer to 1 is "yes",

2) Are you working on it right now?
    edited May 2013
    lattsam wrote: »
    I think I know what it is...

But just in case...

1) Is it something Sam and Max fans have been asking for?

I'll give that a qualified "yes," as in, "yes, some fans have asked for it from time to time."
    And if the answer to 1 is "yes",

2) Are you working on it right now?

No, no one has worked on it for some time. Nor is it likely that it will be worked on ever again.

Mike "I hate riddles... and clowns" Stemmle
  • edited May 2013
    I'll give that a qualified "yes," as in, "yes, some fans have asked for it from time to time."

No, no one has worked on it for some time. Nor is it likely that it will be worked on ever again.

Mike "I hate riddles... and clowns" Stemmle

Please don't say that. That's just defeatist thinking... which I really don't need right now.

It's 2013. A lot has changed between 2004 and this year. Whatever you gave up on, you shouldn't give up on anymore, is what I'm saying.
    edited May 2013
    Please don't say that. That's just defeatist thinking... which I really don't need right now.

It's 2013. A lot has changed between 2004 and this year. Whatever you gave up on, you shouldn't give up on anymore, is what I'm saying.

Defeatist it ain't... "realistic" is a bit more like it :)

Still and all, you seemed to have deduced the secret of Zyzobia, so I yield the floor so that you may lay out your theory to the adoring masses.

Mike "Heck, I Yield the Walls, Too" Stemmle
  • edited May 2013
    "Realistic" is just another word for "defeatist", in my opinion. But anyway.

I used a program called the Telltale Extractor. I read the annotation for Poker Night 2, and looked up the word in question.

I saw some conversations that included that word, and specific mention was given to, among other things, a penguin queen, musical numbers, a burning Max effigy, and a space station made out of tortilla chips - or something to that effect. Those were plots from the cancelled game!

Have you asked Disney to hand over the rights to it yet?
    edited May 2013
    "Realistic" is just another word for "defeatist", in my opinion. But anyway.

I used a program called the Telltale Extractor. I read a transcript of the annotation for Poker Night 2, and looked up the word in question.

I saw some conversations that included that word, and specific mention was given to, among other things, a penguin queen, musical numbers, a burning Max effigy, and a space station made out of tortilla chips - or something to that effect. Those were plots from the cancelled game!

Also, admit it... you're holding out on us, aren't you?

Congratulations! You have indeed figured out that the freaky multi-chapter tale that Sam spins during Poker Night 2 is, in fact, a slightly re-worked synopsis of the cancelled Freelance Police game.*

And no, I'm not holding out. Seriously. This is my serious face :|

Mike "Getting The Rights to that Content From the Mouse Would Be Nigh Impossible" Stemmle

* The name "Zyzobia" is a major re-working. In the original story, the name of the Giant Penguin's homeland was "Subarctica," which I think we can all agree was NOT one of my more inspired efforts. "Zyzobia," on the other hand, is a mythical country created by my then-3-year-old-boys, which bears a striking resemblance to Redondo Beach.
  • edited May 2013
    Congratulations! You have indeed figured out that the freaky multi-chapter tale that Sam spins during Poker Night 2 is, in fact, a slightly re-worked synopsis of the cancelled Freelance Police game.*

And no, I'm not holding out. Seriously. This is my serious face :|

Mike "Getting The Rights to that Content From the Mouse Would Be Nigh Impossible" Stemmle

* The name "Zyzobia" is a major re-working. In the original story, the name of the Giant Penguin's homeland was "Subarctica," which I think we can all agree was NOT one of my more inspired efforts. "Zyzobia," on the other hand, is a mythical country created by my then-3-year-old-boys, which bears a striking resemblance to Redondo Beach.

I wasn't saying whether or not you held out. I was asking whether or not you asked Disney for the rights yet.

You didn't, did you?
  • edited May 2013
    Riddles, Clowns, and Penguins? Hm... Something's fishy here. And where there's a fish, there's a penguin.
  • edited May 2013
    Ryu-Chan wrote: »
    Riddles, Clowns, and Penguins? Hm... Something's fishy here. And where there's a fish, there's a penguin.

You're right... something is fishy.

I really think someone is afraid to speak up, because they think Disney is just like LucasArts... when they are two completely different things.

What I have to say is... there's no reason to be afraid. If you want to ask them, there is nothing stopping you from doing so.
  • edited May 2013
    Telltale: Hey, Disney, would you mind giving us the rights to the canceled Sam & Max Freelance Police game? Oh, and throw in Monkey Island while you're at it? It's not like you're going to be doing anything with them.

Disney: Huh? Oh. That makes sense. Here ya go!

And if you believe that....
  • edited May 2013
    WarpSpeed wrote: »
    Telltale: Hey, Disney, would you mind giving us the rights to the canceled Sam & Max Freelance Police game? Oh, and throw in Monkey Island while you're at it? It's not like you're going to be doing anything with them.

Disney: Huh? Oh. That makes sense. Here ya go!

And if you believe that....

Hey, don't knock it till you've tried it.
  • edited May 2013
    So that's what this was all about! Glad to know at least a small piece of the game that never came to pass got to live on as something other than a 'particularly gruesome case.'

I've liked all the little stories told so far. I've gotten Ash's and Sam's, I think I might be on Claptrap's now (or is it GLaDOS'?), can't wait to see them all play out.
  • edited May 2013
    spd12 wrote: »
    So that's what this was all about! Glad to know at least a small piece of the game that never came to pass got to live on as something other than a 'particularly gruesome case.'

Now if it would evolve beyond "something Sam and Max fans will never be allowed to experience" into "something Sam and Max fans will finally get to experience after being denied the right to experience it for a ridiculously long period of time".
Sign in to comment in this discussion.