All in?

So, there have been a few games where character(s) have gone all in on a hand and lost. When the next hand starts, that character still has their chips. I find this to be pretty frustrating, as it has led to me eventually losing a tournament or two.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Going all in only knocks you out if your opponent has more chips than you. I've never seen it happen that a player was covered by their opponent, lost, and still remained in play.
  • edited May 2013
    If they go all in and someone calls their bet, but doesn't have enough chips to cover the bet but calls it they get the difference back (based on whoever that called and had the highest amount.)

Example 1: Ash goes all in with $19,200 and then Sam calls with his $14,000. Ash will then get $5,200 back.

Example 2: Brock goes all in for $9,000, Claptrap calls at $1,000, and you call at $5,000. Brock will then get $4,000 back.
  • ProfanityProfanity Banned
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, essentially not all ins are the same and the difference gets compensated.
  • edited May 2013
    In poker, you can't win more chips from an opponent than you have in front of you (and, conversely, you can't lose more chips to an opponent than he has). This is why side pots get created: side pots are contested only by players who have enough money to contribute to them.

In the case of two people going all in, the one with more money essentially creates a side pot that only he is contesting. Since nobody else is contesting it, it's common to simply return the money outright (which Poker Night does, I believe).

If you want to know why this is, imagine somebody going all-in for $10,000 and you have only $100. The guy going all-in is obviously going to cry foul if he's risking $10,000 and you're only risking $100. So if it's just you two, you both are only risking $100 and the remaining $9900 is returned to him. If somebody else is involved in the pot, then you each put $100 into the main pot and your opponent's remaining $9900 goes into a side pot that you're not contesting (since you didn't put any money into it).
  • edited May 2013
    You can also see this happening in the game. If you watch the totals carefully, you'll see the totals for people who have a lot more chips adjusting to match the amount the other players are able to put into the pot. It'll initially subtract all of their money and then add back what the other player doesn't have.

Basically it's an issue with how the AI sometimes acts because they'll sometimes be like "ALL-IN HURGH" even though their opponent only has $1000 and they have $65,000 or what have you. Whether they go all-in or not depends upon how the AI has figured the strength of its cards--they're a lot more likely to go all-in on a three of a kind or higher.

Oh, as a fun fact: in the first game you could always count on the AI being willing to go all-in on a three of a kind regardless of the strength of their hole cards. If there was a three of a kind in the community cards, and you had a high pair either as hole cards or as one hole card and a card in the community cards, you could bet a certain amount and pretty much always sucker them into going all-in and then taking everyone down at once. (This usually only works after the blinds have been raised at least once or twice, because they then become more aggressive, and it also requires that you not just go all-in on your first bet because that's far more likely to scare them into folding.)
  • edited May 2013
    In regards to all in, I just tricked the AI into doing this ON THE FIRST HAND :D

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/1340/pokernight2201305130138.png
  • edited May 2013
    ....you "tricked" the computer to going all in against your Ace High?
  • edited May 2013
    Yeah, I still lost, Ash won, but the game treated me as if I just lost in a showdown in a finale instead, so I got second place despite having the worst hand, and still got 50 Tokens.
  • edited May 2013
    Well, it's just that one would say you got played instead of actually doing any tricking, but an interesting turn of events, just the same. I'm a bit surprised Sam would play so aggressively on the first hand (though Ash and Brock going early macho is no shocker).
Sign in to comment in this discussion.