iOs / Android

So is it safe to say that it will never be out for these platforms?
I like playing stuff like sleeping dogs and tomb raider on the PC, in other words, games that you can't/don't want to play on your phone. Poker night at the inventory is a game I'd never play on the PC simply because of how casual it is. It's like how I hated plants vs zombie on the PC but loved it on my phone.

So will the iOs/android version ever come out? If so.. When????????

Comments

• edited May 2013
    As a programmer I can say that adapting a game to run on iOS and Android is not necessarily easy. Unless Telltale is putting other things on those platforms, I wouldn't hold my breath.
  • edited May 2013
    *company out right says it is coming out for iOS*

*impatient poster waits a week and assumes it will never come out for it*

Okay...
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2013
    We will do plan to release Poker Night 2 on iOS, but don't have a set date yet. When we do, it will most likely be announced on Facebook, Twitter, and/or our blog. There are no plans for an Android release.
  • edited May 2013
    Dedlok wrote: »
    *company out right says it is coming out for iOS*

*impatient poster waits a week and assumes it will never come out for it*

Okay...

Been checking appstore everyday since release and see nothing. Porting a game to iOs should be rather simple imo. I mean even walking dead is on ios.
  • edited May 2013
    Ilovecakes wrote: »
    Been checking appstore everyday since release and see nothing. Porting a game to iOs should be rather simple imo. I mean even walking dead is on ios.

Yes it is. And Episode 1 of it came out to iOS on July 26. Which was a whole month later than the PC/Mac version's April 24th release date for Episode 1. So, while it may or may not be as easy as you claim it to be, it still takes time to do a port from something that works on PC/Mac to something that works on iOS (and vice versa).

So in other words, be patient. It has been announced for and is still coming to iOS.
  • edited May 2013
    Do you know anything about how code works? About how operating systems work? The sort of intricacies and level of depth, and more importantly, lack of compatibility between any number of separate functions?

In order for PNatI2 to work on iOs, they have to do a whole heap of things to the engine to make it compatible.

And even if it is "simple" it still takes a lot of time. Something being simple to do has nothing to do with the amount of time the task takes. It's a simple affair to cook, say, the same meal five thousand times over, but you still have to take into account cooking time, ingredient preparation time, etc etc.
  • edited May 2013
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    We will do plan to release Poker Night 2 on iOS, but don't have a set date yet. When we do, it will most likely be announced on Facebook, Twitter, and/or our blog. There are no plans for an Android release.

Is there any particular reason to there being no plans for an Android version?
  • edited May 2013
    Is there any particular reason to there being no plans for an Android version?

It's really easy to just download android games for free so I think the money and dedication isn't worth it.
  • ProfanityProfanity Banned
    edited May 2013
    It's really easy to just download android games for free so I think the money and dedication isn't worth it.

You can't really say that downloading PC games for free is any harder than scratching your nose, yet here we are.
  • edited May 2013
    Profanity wrote: »
    You can't really say that downloading PC games for free is any harder than scratching your nose, yet here we are.

This game was originally for the PC/xbox360/ps3

Porting it to android to have it pirated even more is dumb and waste of money,
    edited May 2013
    This game was originally for the PC/xbox360/ps3

Porting it to android to have it pirated even more is dumb and waste of money,

So having it pirated on PC and consoles is alright, because the game was originally intended for those systems, but porting it to android is dumb because it also has piracy?
  • edited May 2013
    So having it pirated on PC and consoles is alright, because the game was originally intended for those systems, but porting it to android is dumb because it also has piracy?

Yeah because porting costs money? why waste money to port to a device that has high piracy numbers?
    edited May 2013
    Yeah because porting costs money? why waste money to port to a device that has high piracy numbers?

Yeah, because making the actual game doesn't cost money. Shit, why develop the game at all? There's shitloads of piracy on PC, there's enough piracy on the consoles. Devs should write down their ideas on pieces of paper, lock them in safes and dream about a world without piracy.
  • edited May 2013
    Yeah, because making the actual game doesn't cost money. Shit, why develop the game at all? There's shitloads of piracy on PC, there's enough piracy on the consoles. Devs should write down their ideas on pieces of paper, lock them in safes and dream about a world without piracy.

Your replies make me think that you are very stupid in real life. I mean you can't even connect the dots. Let me try to make it simple so you understand.

1. I create game on PC to sell it
    2. It sells somewhat good but is pirated
    Now here's the kicker, Should I spend money to put it on android? Porting + a place in the play store? Where it will be pirated as well? Is it worth it? No in most cases.
    Now I created it for the PC and went positive because first I had 0 money, and after sales I had more than 0. Should I spend more money porting it to another device that has high piracy and risk going negative? No.

Do you get it now or do I have to draw a picture?
    edited May 2013
    Your replies make me think that you are very stupid in real life. I mean you can't even connect the dots. Let me try to make it simple so you understand.

1. I create game on PC to sell it
    2. It sells somewhat good but is pirated
    Now here's the kicker, Should I spend money to put it on android? Porting + a place in the play store? Where it will be pirated as well? Is it worth it? No in most cases.
    Now I created it for the PC and went positive because first I had 0 money, and after sales I had more than 0. Should I spend more money porting it to another device that has high piracy and risk going negative? No.

Do you get it now or do I have to draw a picture?

You do realize that porting costs much less than creating, that the game sold helluva good and that the Android piracy threat isn't something that should be taken more serious than PC piracy? Because you seem to think that every android user is a pirate, that the game didn't sell well and that they'd take a serious hit by funding a port.

Therefore if you "risked" by going into the PC market, you can "risk" going into the android market no problem. Especially with good sales, which already happened.
  • edited May 2013
    There's also the question of how much piracy actually hurts sales. How many pirates were actually going to pay for the game if they couldn't get it for free? Some of them, sure, but hardly all of them. (This isn't to say anything about whether or not piracy is OK, merely that its effect on sales is difficult to measure, and counting every pirated copy as a lost sale is certainly wrong.)

BTW, as a game developer myself, I don't even worry about piracy.
  • edited May 2013
    Telltale in the past has stated that they don't port their games to Android because there's too much diversity in devices. There are a lot of different Android thingys, with lots of different capabilities. With iOS, there are only a few kinds of devices you have to worry about.

If more people keep buying Android over iOS, though, it may become a market segment too big to ignore. So, someday....
  • edited May 2013
    WarpSpeed wrote: »
    Telltale in the past has stated that they don't port their games to Android because there's too much diversity in devices. There are a lot of different Android thingys, with lots of different capabilities. With iOS, there are only a few kinds of devices you have to worry about.

If more people keep buying Android over iOS, though, it may become a market segment too big to ignore. So, someday....

^This

As for the "piracy" angle. Not only is a load of bull and self-conflicting, it pretty much does not matter at all. And the companies that use it as an excuse are just people who do not want to admit fault.

For example the game Dungeon Defenders. The devs of the game initially targeted PC as their target platform, but during development decided to release for the PS3 and 360 as well. As 360 is the only platform that requires a game to have a publisher to be released on the digital market, they got themselves set up with one and eventually completed the game.

Unfortunately while in Certification the publisher they signed up with went belly up and they could no longer publish on 360. They then silently delayed the game's release to what would wind up being a whole year after their initially announced release date for the PC version.

"But the game was completed! Why not go ahead and at least release it for PS3 and/or PC?" Glad you asked. Their explanation was that they would not release it on PS3 because of Microsoft's policy where they refuse to publish onto XBLA anything that was released on PS3 first. And as (at least at the time) 360's market is "5x bigger" than PS3, they could not persue that option "if we want to continue to continue playing games."

"What about PC then? Surely they could release it on there without risking Microsoft's ire!" True. Microsoft would not refuse the game if released on PC first, but they refused to even consider that option as as it is "also a financial disaster as piracy rates will angle half-pirates (those people who buy console game but pirate pc ones because its 'easier') into not buying a console version and instead pirating the game for PC simply to have that game at that instant instead of waiting for a console version. Not doing a simultaneous release is just a poor decision.".

Thus, to keep the studio afloat while persuing a new publisher, they released the game on iOS and Android.

So, October 2011 rolls around. Dungeon Defenders gets its Simultaneous release, like they oh so much desired. Then the first week's sales numbers came out and guess which platform came out on the top!

Was it 360?

Nope!

Was it PS3?

Also nope!

Why it was those low-down, filthy PC Pirates that they refused to release to months ago because they basically consider them dead weight! In fact, of the 250,000 copies of the game that was sold that first week, 8/10 of them was for the PC version!

Pretty damn good for a platform filled with low down dirty thieves if you ask me! In fact, the numbers certainly did teach them their lesson as they eventually announced that some of the DLC will never make it to the consoles due to the fact that they would have to rewrite their infrastructure and the patching costs. (Read "We did not make nearly as much money on the consoles as we did the PC and can't risk the costs needed to implement and patch in the stuff to give you guys the content.)

That and they are not even attempting to bring the sequel to the consoles. Just PC and mobile.

tl;dr: Piracy concerns should not color your perception on whether or not you release on a platform. Because if you ignore it you could potentially be missing out on the biggest market for the game.

(also, would give a link to where Trendy said that (and believe me. They did say that) but they have since migrated their boards to a new url (and possibly board system) and the post got "lost" in the shuffle. (Oops?) Search for it, though and you will see it in enough places and articles mentioning it, though.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.