Why this game is a better conclusion than BTTF3 *spoilers*

edited May 2013 in Back to the Future
This is something I've been thinking about a while now. With the BTTF3 ending, the story is completely closed. The doc takes his family on the train, and leaves. The delorean is destroyed, Marty goes off to continue regular life. Maybe he'll see doc again, maybe not for quite a while. Not a bad ending.

With the BTTF:Game ending, marty and doc go off together. You get the feeling they'll be having these fun adventures for the rest of their lives. The delorean is still around. The timeline has obviously got problems, but they realize that their present selves and their friendship is all that really matters. I loved it.

It basically comes down to this: I think it's better to close the story focusing on Doc & Marty, rather than Doc's family and the timeline. It's really a testament to the game's writers that they made something that not only stands up to the trilogy, but actually improves on it.

Just some thoughts for you fellow BTTF fans out there. Would love to hear your responses

Comments

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited May 2013
    I've not completely sure about the game's ending. I loved the touching part about Doc giving Marty his family album, and I really enjoyed how Edna Strickland got a happy ending. And, like you said, I really liked how the game ended with Doc and Marty taking off in the DeLorean, just having adventures.

I just don't know how to take the future Martys. It was great having Michael J Fox back as Marty, but it all just felt unnecessary to me. I feel the ending would have left a bigger emotional impact without all the added silliness.
  • Jennifer wrote: »
    I've not completely sure about the game's ending. I loved the touching part about Doc giving Marty his family album, and I really enjoyed how Edna Strickland got a happy ending. And, like you said, I really liked how the game ended with Doc and Marty taking off in the DeLorean, just having adventures.

I just don't know how to take the future Martys. It was great having Michael J Fox back as Marty, but it all just felt unnecessary to me. I feel the ending would have left a bigger emotional impact without all the added silliness.

Honestly if there was one future marty i'd have been happy, the other 2 kind of felt tacked on. I've posted here in the past of how it is possible with the space time continuum but it is still not needed.

The 3rd film left things more open ended basically with the premise of 'the future is what you make it'

the game leaves it kind of cool in the sense that marty's destiny is time travel and eventually becomes doc. But I think you'd have to be a hardcore BTTF fan to enjoy the game whereas there's a broader amount of people who enjoy the trilogy.
  • edited May 2013
    Good point BTTF3 is maybe a better ending for a film audience. I think it's less of an open ending though because Marty doesn't have access to time travel anymore, in a sense his life has gone back to normal.

I think multiple martys is necessary to give it that shock value. Because prior to that we've never seen more than 1 pair of doubles interacting with each other. And we all know each "movie" needs that shocking moment (BTTF1 with future doc showing up, BTTF2 marty showing up with past doc, and BTTF3 with the train)

I can just imagine how cool it would've been to see Michael J Fox actually act all the doubles if this were a movie filmed right after BTTF3. I think it would've been awesome.
  • edited May 2013
    I think the ending of BTTF3 was more emotional and more of a conclusion, the game left it open to a sequel. Also I agree that the 3 future Marty's was a bit too silly, 1 would've been fine but 3?
  • yoman45135 wrote: »
    I think the ending of BTTF3 was more emotional and more of a conclusion, the game left it open to a sequel. Also I agree that the 3 future Marty's was a bit too silly, 1 would've been fine but 3?

well as of now the 3rd film has 3 different types of sequels (the cartoon, ride, and game) whereas the game has none.

if you count the first movie as a conclusion (since it was planned as a solo movie at that point)

the 3rd film was the most conclusive followed by the 1st followed by the game;

though to be honest the first film leads more into the next adventure than the game;
    "you've gotta come back to the future with me, it's your kids, somethings gotta be done about your kids"

vs.

problems with the great great grandkids, the future being all jacked up, all the time jumps and marty's squabbling about their timelines. It's also FUTURE marty's showing up in the delorean giving away the fact he has plenty of time traveling left.

the 3rd film gives the least away; all we know is doc is about to time travel but not back to the future.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.