Interview with Dave Boat, voice of Max

Hi guys!

I recently put up an interview with Dave Boat over on Sam & Max.co.uk. Dave provided the voice of Max in Poker Night 2, taking over from Telltale's usual choice of William Kasten.

Hope you don't mind the shameless self promotion, but I figured a lot of you would be interested to hear from him.

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Sure, I like your voice actor interviews. I hope you get to do more in the future! (Though mostly because that would mean more new Sam & Max things would be coming out!)
  • edited May 2013
    WarpSpeed wrote: »
    Sure, I like your voice actor interviews. I hope you get to do more in the future! (Though mostly because that would mean more new Sam & Max things would be coming out!)

Thank you! There are lots more interviews lined up (some of them are very exciting), but I'll be pacing them out over the coming months.
  • edited May 2013
    oh look an awesome thing
  • edited May 2013
    So Dave Boat and William Kasten are two different people after all? I thought that Dave was voicing Max all this time and William Kasten was just a pseudonym.
  • edited May 2013
    Yeah, that explains how he's accurate up until he has to stretch his vowels! He is a really good sound-alike though, that's for sure.

Thanks for posting this.
  • edited May 2013
    Well, that explains one thing, but brings up another: Where did William go?

Well eitherway, that was a pretty nice interview to read, as much as it sorta upsets me tha t William's not voicing Max on this game, Dave's voice is absolutely spot on so i don't mind it.
  • edited May 2013
    Thanks for the interview! One of my friends really liked your Nikki Rapp interview, by the way-- there's not enough that mention the Psychonauts voice crew or their roles, and that makes me sad.
  • edited May 2013
    And speaking of Psychonauts, is a certain voice actor from that game going to be interviewed next, Pinchpenny?
  • edited May 2013
    Well this solves the whole "are they the same person?" scenario lol. He's very good at mimicry and seems like a pretty chill guy. Thanks for taking time to do this interview with him I love reading this kind of stuff. :3
  • edited May 2013
    I must admit I'm a little disappointed to learn that Dave Boat and William Kasten are different people after all. I absolutely adore the comfortable dynamic/rapport Kasten and Nowlin have built up after three whole seasons of working with their characters, and knowing that one of them has been replaced for this game takes a bit of the magic away for me.

That's certainly no fault of Mr. Boat's, though, and his impression is nearly spot-on. What a talented man! Great interview all around :)
  • edited May 2013
    Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I'm glad you all like the interview.
    lattsam wrote: »
    And speaking of Psychonauts, is a certain voice actor from that game going to be interviewed next, Pinchpenny?

No promises, but some upcoming interviews should keep you partially happy.
    Omegabegin wrote: »
    I must admit I'm a little disappointed to learn that Dave Boat and William Kasten are different people after all. I absolutely adore the comfortable dynamic/rapport Kasten and Nowlin have built up after three whole seasons of working with their characters, and knowing that one of them has been replaced for this game takes a bit of the magic away for me.

I've interviewed Bay Area Sound (the guys who do the audio work for Telltale's games) in the past and they've said that all actors record individually, so that Kasten/Nowlin rapport is probably just them growing into the characters.
  • edited May 2013
    Pinchpenny wrote: »
    I've interviewed Bay Area Sound (the guys who do the audio work for Telltale's games) in the past and they've said that all actors record individually, so that Kasten/Nowlin rapport is probably just them growing into the characters.

Oh yes, I did know about that part. I just can't help but favor the Nowlin/Kasten team anyway, even knowing that they don't actually do their recordings together. Just me being silly and sentimental, I think :p

Anywho, glad to hear you have some more interviews lined up in the future! I'll be looking forward to them :D
  • edited May 2013
    #farmerplz #jamesonplz #atkinplz #tinklerplz
  • edited May 2013
    Pinchpenny, out of curiosity, have you ever tried to interview William Kasten and/or David Nowlin?
  • edited May 2013
    lattsam wrote: »
    #farmerplz #jamesonplz #atkinplz #tinklerplz

#yes #comingsoon #exciting
  • edited June 2013
    Ah, I don't buy it. I still think they're the same person; I've heard Max in Dave Boat's voice for years in The Sims 2 and Monkey Island 2, and no soundalike is THAT good.

Besides, have you ever seen William Kasten and Dave Boat in the same room together?
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Teeth wrote: »
    no soundalike is THAT good.
    Apparently you've never heard Jim Cummings imitate Sterling Holloway. ;)
  • edited June 2013
    Huh. I thought it was a pseudonym as well.

I did notice that Max's voice was a bit less....screechy. Or do I mean squeaky? He doesn't hit the high notes quite as high, is what I am trying to get at, here.

His voice was fine the way it was, but I think it was actually for the better.

By the way, is this what the Jason Alexander line was about? I never understood that.

Edit: LattSam, I will totally argue you to the death over Nowlin's superiority. That there is the perfect Sam voice.
    (I could take either HtR or Telltale Max, though.)
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited June 2013
    wellgolly wrote: »
    I could take either HtR or Telltale Max, though.
    The funny thing is that everybody seems to voice Max pretty similarly. There was a mock movie trailer someone once made that used clips from everyone who had voiced a 3D model Max to that point (Nick Jameson, David Nowlin, Andrew Chaikin, and William Kasten), and somehow it still seemed cohesive because of the similarity. Heck, if there was a 3D graphics clip of Max as voiced by Robert Tinkler, I'm sure even that would have worked in the trailer. :)
  • edited June 2013
    wellgolly wrote: »
    Huh. I thought it was a pseudonym as well.

I did notice that Max's voice was a bit less....screechy. Or do I mean squeaky? He doesn't hit the high notes quite as high, is what I am trying to get at, here.

I think that was the only difference I noticed, too.

I think if I were only familiar with the comic and had never watched or played the adaptions, I would read Sam and Max in the same kinds of voices that the adaptions tend to give them, too. They're just what fit the best. Sam has a deep, easy-going voice, and Max has a higher-pitched, energetic voice, maybe a bit snarky, with a New York accent.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.