HDTV's

edited April 2008 in General Chat
i was wondering whether it is worth getting a lcd hdtv which is 26" or below with 1080i or 720p

(will be mainly used for xbox 360 and occasional watching of tv)

Comments

• edited March 2008
    patters wrote: »
    i was wondering whether it is worth getting a lcd hdtv which is 26" or below with 1080i or 720p

(will be mainly used for xbox 360 and occasional watching of tv)

I got a small 1080i HDTV somewhat recently, and it's definitely worth it for 360. The difference is very notable.
  • edited March 2008
    ShaggE wrote: »
    I got a small 1080i HDTV somewhat recently, and it's definitely worth it for 360. The difference is very notable.

what resolution did it have if you don't mind me asking as i have seen some which are reasonably priced but are only 1050 pixels vertically
  • edited March 2008
    what resolution did it have if you don't mind me asking as i have seen some which are reasonably priced but are only 1050 pixels vertically

1440 x 900.

Here's the full specs of mine: http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=86563.

It was 600 bucks though, that's the only bad thing.
  • edited March 2008
    that tv you said says it is a native res of 720p

ones i have been looking at
    both don't have great sound but i have a decent stereo and an aux lead so ill use that

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/3515232/LG-22-Flatron-M228WD-HD-Ready-Freeview-LCD-TV-Monitor/Product.html

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/3435702/Samsung-22-LE22S86BDX-HD-Ready-Freeview-Widescreen-LCD-TV/Product.html
  • edited March 2008
    that tv you said says it is a native res of 720p

Yeah, it's not the same exact model as mine, but the specs are pretty much identical. Mine is 1080i native.
  • edited March 2008
    thats a nice looking tv we have a toshiba 26" downstairs and it is spectacular
  • edited March 2008
    If you play guitar hero on 360 and get a HDTV I would recommend getting external speakers, as well. When I got my new HDTV GH3 had a ridiculous lag problem that made it difficult to play. When I got the speakers everything worked out. This was with a 40" Samsung 720p TV.
  • edited March 2008
    My one regret for getting one is that watching standard def TV programs on a Hi Def TV takes a while to get used to. :D
  • edited March 2008
    My one regret for getting one is that watching standard def TV programs on a Hi Def TV takes a while to get used to. :D

I already watch most tv on an hd tv but i want one of my own so i can get a better performance out of my 360
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2008
    If you want to further justify the HDTV investment, don't miss out on Planet Earth.
  • edited March 2008
    Shauntron wrote: »
    If you want to further justify the HDTV investment, don't miss out on Planet Earth.

what the bbc programme, been there watched most of it
  • edited March 2008
    what the bbc programme, been there watched most of it
    Yeah, but if you watch it in HD, the pictures are prettier!
  • Sean ASean A Former Telltale Staff
    edited March 2008
    Patters:

I spent a lot of time researching HDTV before I bought mine (a Panasonic 42" Plasma).

Important things to look out for:

1. Make sure it has a high contrast ratio (at least 1000:1 but try to get 3000:1 or more if you can) or the blacks will look kind of gray. It will also be harder to see in brighter light. This is especially true of an LCD.

2. If you're buying under 50", you're better off going for 720p, even if 1080i is available on the same set. Smaller than 50", the naked eye can't tell the difference.

3. Make sure there are at least two or three component (not composite) inputs, and at least one HDMI port. That way if you buy something else that's high-def, you can get a high-def signal to the TV.

4. If you can, go look at the TV before you buy it, and make sure they have it hooked up to HD. Stand about as far away as you'll be sitting, and make the decision, keeping in mind that they pump the brightness and color way up to make them jump out on the show floor.

5. Don't buy anything with a glass panel over the screen for a bright room, or it will reflect light and make it hard to see the picture.

There are more things. Google IGN's HDTV Q&A. The guy who does them (I think his name is Gerry Block) knows a ridiculous amount about them. You may have to scan through to find info you need, but I wouldn't ever spend that much money on something I'm not sure I'm going to be happy with. I'd say they're definitely worth it, but I'd recommend saving your money a little longer and getting a bigger set. 26" is going to be small enough that it'll "pop" more, and widescreen is awesome, but you lose out on seeing actual blades of grass on the football field, and things like that.

Good luck.
  • edited March 2008
    Shoemonkey wrote: »
    2. If you're buying under 50", you're better off going for 720p, even if 1080i is available on the same set. Smaller than 50", the naked eye can't tell the difference.

Really? So did I get boned by buying a small 1080i? (I'm clueless when it comes to HDTVs)
  • edited March 2008
    Patters:
    There are more things. Google IGN's HDTV Q&A. The guy who does them (I think his name is Gerry Block) knows a ridiculous amount about them. You may have to scan through to find info you need, but I wouldn't ever spend that much money on something I'm not sure I'm going to be happy with. I'd say they're definitely worth it, but I'd recommend saving your money a little longer and getting a bigger set. 26" is going to be small enough that it'll "pop" more, and widescreen is awesome, but you lose out on seeing actual blades of grass on the football field, and things like that.

Good luck.

i cant get anything bigger than 26" as its for a bedroom and then next year uni. i like the lg i posted a link to earlier, which is a 22" which is good enough (i have a 20"crt currently). the contrast on the lg is 3000:1. i don't really watch films so much. i am not sure how many component ports it has but i am only likely to have an xbox plugged in

full spec
    http://uk.lge.com/products/model/detail/multifunctionmonitor_m228wd.jhtml#
  • edited March 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    Yeah, but if you watch it in HD, the pictures are prettier!

yeah i did on hd dvd (bah) not too bummed about it cos it only cost around £50 minus the free films and is brilliant at upscaling
    edited March 2008
    ShaggE wrote: »
    Really? So did I get boned by buying a small 1080i? (I'm clueless when it comes to HDTVs)

No. It's just that it's interlaced, so you're missing some smoothness. The picture quality is theoretically better, but again, you can't tell.
    edited March 2008
    i cant get anything bigger than 26" as its for a bedroom and then next year uni. i like the lg i posted a link to earlier, which is a 22" which is good enough (i have a 20"crt currently). the contrast on the lg is 3000:1. i don't really watch films so much. i am not sure how many component ports it has but i am only likely to have an xbox plugged in

full spec
    http://uk.lge.com/products/model/detail/multifunctionmonitor_m228wd.jhtml#

I just typed a huge post about this I lost, so I'm just going to make this simple: That's meant to be a computer monitor, but it will work fine is a TV if you don't mind some letterboxing or stretching (it's a 16:10 ratio; TVs are 16:9). It's got everything you need to game on it including a 5 millisecond refresh rate, which prevents blurring. Just make sure you have the component cables for your Xbox or it won't improve the picture quality that much.

Hopefully that helps!
  • edited March 2008
    I just typed a huge post about this I lost, so I'm just going to make this simple: That's meant to be a computer monitor, but it will work fine is a TV if you don't mind some letterboxing or stretching (it's a 16:10 ratio; TVs are 16:9). It's got everything you need to game on it including a 5 millisecond refresh rate, which prevents blurring. Just make sure you have the component cables for your Xbox or it won't improve the picture quality that much.

Hopefully that helps!

i do appreciate the long post it helped as it helped me choose the lg over the samsung due to greater contrast.

my xbox has an hdmi port which i will be using as they are better quality or so i have heard. i also have the component cables, which it came with. i don't mind letter boxing but im looking at other tvs in shops too and taking the advice you have given me as well
    edited April 2008
    Sweet!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.