A question for Telltale's staff

edited September 2006 in Sam & Max
We, the fans, were first doubtful about the episodic nature of the games. Then you showed us it is possible to make high quality fun games with this kind of philosophy too.
The question is: are you by any chance considering to make a full-lenght game, in the case of a huge success of the games you make and money permitting?
A bit like the simpsons, a wonderful series that will be crowned by a full-lenght movie.

Comments

• edited September 2006
    Seems like you still don't believe in the Episodic format. Honestly, if this works out to be a succesful formula, I'm really quite sure they won't sell themselves out and go back to the 'feature' game system.
  • edited September 2006
    Seems like you still don't believe in the Episodic format. Honestly, if this works out to be a succesful formula, I'm really quite sure they won't sell themselves out and go back to the 'feature' game system.

Actually I changed my mind about episodes after playing Bone. I think it's a brilliant idea, after all.
    Anyway, it's not that unusual to make a full-lenght work about a series. It happened for some sitcoms, it's happening with the Simpsons. Believe me, it's a relevant question.
    By the way, I doubt that making a full-lenght game would be as "selling themselves", if it's better for them.
    Making only Star Wars games would.
  • edited September 2006
    I meant that being the group advocating episodic format in games, it being the whole core idea of TellTale games as a company and all, it would be strange to go back to the old way of making games.

I am really doubtful of it happening.

By the way, it is really unusual for TV-series to become feature films. Yes, it has happened a couple of times, but compare that to the total amount of TV series to put things in perspective.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2006
    I don't think people are here are opposed to the idea of eventually doing some more long-form full-length game, but not at the moment, and it would definitey be the exception to the rule!
  • edited September 2006
    Series being made into movies? Excuse me while I barf. Only good ones I can think of are BEAVIS & BUTTHEAD DO AMERICA, and SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS.
  • edited September 2006
    Series being made into movies? Excuse me while I barf. Only good ones I can think of are BEAVIS & BUTTHEAD DO AMERICA, and SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS.

then with all due respect (and I truly respect you all!) , your standards arel pretty low.

anyway - while there are several great TV to Movie adaptations. most of them who suck, suck beacuse of good reasons -
    a) screenwriters who think that the fact the foundations are already set in place means that it will be an easier job fo them.The result - 2 hours episode , with as much script as 30 minutes episode.
    b) The comedy genre is an exception. no-one can make good jokes for 2 hours - keep comedies short , and for TV.
    c) Movie scriptwriters tend to make an interpretations of their own to a TV series, interpratations that not always consistent with the original sereis.
  • edited September 2006
    I don't think people are here are opposed to the idea of eventually doing some more long-form full-length game, but not at the moment, and it would definitey be the exception to the rule!

Thanks for your answer, I thought nobody would have given me one since this is a ticklish matter. ;)

Hehe, I never said I like every TV series turned into a movie.
    Actually, I loved South Park's "Bigger, longer & uncut" and I'm salivating for the upcoming (though it'll take a while) Simpsons movie. And, yes, "Beavis & Butthead do America" was fun! All of the other ones always left me disgusted.
    You may ask me "Why the hell you're wishing a full-lenght movie if most of them disgusted you? You wanna see S&M ruined?!?", and my answer is "Sam & Max are nearer to the Simpsons, South Park and this kind of cartoon then to a goddamn, squalid Lizzie McGuire".
    Hope I made myself crystal clear. :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.