Where does the DeLorean come from in the videogame?

edited August 2013 in Back to the Future
Hello everyone!

This can be a silly question, or maybe someone else asked it before, but the thing is that I don't get it: Since the DeLorean is destroyed at the end of Back To The Future III, where does the DeLorean come from at the beginning of the videogame? Probably this question is answered in a dialogue during the videogame, but I don't remember when this happened.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited June 2013
    VarelaPet wrote: »
    this question is answered in a dialogue during the videogame
    It gets duplicated when it is hit by lightning in the second movie.

Apparently.
  • edited June 2013
    It gets duplicated when it is hit by lightning in the second movie.

Apparently.

Thank you for your answer. Maybe it's a little bit silly to keep thinking about it over and over, but I still don't get it. OK, the DeLorean gets duplicated because of the lightning, but... where does this 2nd DeLorean go? At what time Doc decides to include that remote control device to send it automatically to Marty if he gets in trouble? Maybe I'm being a little bit boring with these questions, but the thing is that the script of this game looks PRETTY GOOD to me (I'm playing episode 4 right now) and the only "black spot" that I can think about is this "duplicated DeLorean affair".

Thanks in advance once again.

EDIT: OK, Wikipedia (what else?) has provided me with a convincing answer. Here you are, in case you want to read it:

Back to the Future: The Game features a chronal duplicate of the original DeLorean, which Doc Brown recovered from the timestream after the destruction of the original. This DeLorean is created at the end of Back to the Future: Part II, when the original time machine was struck by lightning: while the DeLorean itself is sent to 1885, a fully functional duplicate appears (apparently unmanned) in 2025, where Doc retrieves it with the Hover-Train. This duplicate DeLorean is effectively the same as the Part II car, including the occasional glitches in the time controls, but with a new automatic retrieval feature that automatically brings the DeLorean to a set time and location of Doc's choosing every time Doc Brown doesn't return to the car in a fixed amount of time.
  • edited June 2013
    in addition..

since the time circuits where on the fritz and the lightening super charging the flux capacitor it's plausable :P

someone said somewhere biff found out about the 'dupe' and doc brown was tipped off by someone to get to it first..

i'd still like to know how doc brown makes the time train :P in the wild west :P
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited June 2013
    someone said somewhere biff found out about the 'dupe' and doc brown was tipped off by someone to get to it first..
    Doc says in the game that Griff (Biff's grandson from Back to the Future II) finds the temporal duplicate DeLorean in 2025, and Doc was able to stop him and rescue that DeLorean before Griff could do any damage.
    i'd still like to know how doc brown makes the time train :P in the wild west :P
    Doc has the hoverboard, and he can tear it apart for any futuristic parts he needs. He can do this because the hoverboard isn't needed anymore since this hoverboard is the one after the events of Back to the Future III, not the one in the cave (and we don't know that the hoverboard in OUTATIME is the original hoverboard. It's possible that Doc got nostalgic and purchased a new hoverboard for Marty at some point during a visit to the 21st century).

He also has the DeLorean in the cave that he can study, or even take parts from (as long as he makes sure that the car and everything needed for time travel will still work properly after 1955 Doc makes the repairs needed). Also, since 1955 Doc didn't invent the time machine (yet), and because he only spent a week getting to know the time machine during the events of Back to the Future I, he won't be able to tell that anything is amiss.
  • edited July 2013
    well jen

since the doc was left in 1885.. he had no flux capacitor to travel through time..only a hoverboard.

yet somehow able to make one ? with no electronics at all ? still not answering my question ;)

then we have the game explaining the dupe time machine that's fine.
    edited July 2013
    well jen

since the doc was left in 1885.. he had no flux capacitor to travel through time..only a hoverboard.

yet somehow able to make one ? with no electronics at all ? still not answering my question ;)
    He has electronics, as I mentioned before. He can take whatever electronics he needs from the hoverboard, and even from the DeLorean in the cave (the DeLorean that 1955 Doc and Marty find at the beginning of Back to the Future III) as long as he's careful (which is not unimaginable. Ben Heck's hacks have shown that you can cut down the guts of electronics a surprisingly huge amount and they'll still work - with a lot of circuit re-routing).

He also has everything that is in that DeLorean to fiddle with as well (the hairdryer, the camcorder, etc.). He can even tear apart and use them as he sees fit, since they're not needed for Marty's 1885 trip (or for his trip back to 1985).

Also, at the beginning of Back to the Future II, Doc has a bunch of money from different time periods because he says that he has to "be prepared for any eventuality". Because of this foresight, it's likely there's stuff in the boot of the DeLorean that we didn't see. He almost certainly has a toolbox with tools, wires, electrical tape, etc. And it's very likely he's got spare parts for the flux capacitor in there too (since it's required for time travel, Doc wouldn't exactly be prepared for any eventuality if it broke in some time period where he couldn't repair it).
  • edited July 2013
    lol

if the doc was tinkering with the car then why didn't he travel forward in time to pick up marty ?

oh yeah cos he got shot months later..

but since marty left 1885 in the delorean... where does the doc get the bits from ? with only a hoverboard left...

so the only other real explanation is the doc left him self a note to send back bits n bobs so he could travel back..

since the 'dupe car' wasn't even written yet.
    edited July 2013
    lol

if the doc was tinkering with the car then why didn't he travel forward in time to pick up marty ?

oh yeah cos he got shot months later..
    I'm not saying that Doc tinkered with the DeLorean before Marty rescued him. I'm saying he tinkered with the DeLorean in the cave after Marty traveled from 1885 to 1985.
    but since marty left 1885 in the delorean... where does the doc get the bits from ? with only a hoverboard left...

so the only other real explanation is the doc left him self a note to send back bits n bobs so he could travel back..

since the 'dupe car' wasn't even written yet.
    You're not thinking fourth dimensionally.

At the end of Back to the Future II, the DeLorean got sent back to 1885. At the beginning of Back to the Future III, we learned that Doc then sealed the DeLorean up in the cave, and sent a letter to Marty so that so that Marty could find the DeLorean and get 1955 Doc to fix it and send Marty back to 1985.

Marty went to 1885 instead, and tried to rescue Doc with the DeLorean that he picked up in the cave in 1955. Of course, things didn't work out as planned, and Marty was sent back to 1985 without Doc.

That means, in 1885, the DeLorean in the cave is still there, since it's not taken from the cave until 70 years later in 1955. So Doc can take anything from that DeLorean that he wants, as long as he makes sure that it will be able to be fixed by his younger self once it's discovered 70 years later in 1955.
  • edited July 2013
    yeah i am thinking 4th dimensionally..;)

lightbulb moment ! i get it now lol there's actually two deloreans in 1885 ?

the one doc crashed in and the one marty brings back ?

even tho we are to assume marty brings the same car back, the facts are the docs car is just 'hidden'

whew :P thanks makes more sense now :P

if anything why the doc didn't figure out 'to push the delorean by train' sooner and then travel back on his own and then pick up marty lol or instead of saying oh ask my 'counter part for help again i'll meet you there as soon as i can.
  • Here's basically doc's timeline from the end of part II

January 1st 1885-september 1st 1885; arrive in the old west, set himself up as a blacksmith, attempt to repair the damaged time circuits.

september 1st 1885; he gave up on his attempts for many possible reasons. It could be because he wanted to make sure Marty got back (depending on your theory on the space time continuum, it may be imperative Marty gets home due to the importance of 2015), maybe because Doc is already happy, maybe because he's run out of ideas, or maybe the delorean ran out of gas.

September 2nd - 7th; in the original timeline Doc meets Clara, falls in love and gets shot. In the new timeline, the events of part III happen

September 8th - final scene in part III. Doc stranded with Clara. It should be noted Jules seems around 10 years old, it's not like doc built a new time machine the next day. He does make a point to say that it runs on steam. Also he has clara (who knows quite a bit about science as well) to help him. As smart as doc is, he doesn't know the 19th century and it's science as well as Clara might. Also he has more than 8 months. We don't know whether Doc would have been able to eventually fix the delorean since he gets shot in the original timeline.
  • edited August 2013
    lol it never occurred to me all these years of watching the movies that there was still the Deloreon in 1885. haha great stuff.
  • Huh. I thought it was just that Doc figured he would mess something up in his timeline, and rebuilt Delorean so that he could send it to find Marty?

• The reason Doc couldn't do it himself was because the Delorean's Time Machine half was the part that wasn't working. It still functioned fine as a car; Doc could have driven it out to the desert and floored the pedal, but even if he did manage to get up to 88 on that terrain nothing would have happened. That's why he stowed it away with notes for Marty and his 1955 self, because it wasn't until then that the components needed to fix the Time Circuits would be available.

yeah i am thinking 4th dimensionally..;) lightbulb moment ! i get it now lol there's actually two deloreans in 1885 ? the one doc cra

• He just had to use the hover board to fix the mr. fusion in the hidden delorian. he then went to the future and got the parts to build the train and put the delorian back the way it was before so Marty could find it and not alter the timeline.

• Doc explained it in an optional dialogue in Episode 1.

Basically when the lightning struck the Delorean in BTTF2, it produced a gigawatt overlead which sent a temporal duplicate 70 years into the future ( Instead of 70 years in the past like in BTTF2 ). Doc met the duplicate Delorean during a travel to 2025 with his train and family and retrived it before Griff Tannen got his hands on it.
    For all intent and purpose this is the exact same Delorean as in BTTF2, except the various additions Doc added over time and the fact it doesn't fly since it was struck by lightning.

• I noticed the explanation when I played it. When the Delorean got hit by lightning it created a copy that went to the future. Doc found it just in time to prevent it anyone from using it to cause problems.

edited October 2015

Yeah. Doc mentioned that Griff (Biff's grandson from Back to the Future 2) found the temporal duplicate DeLorean first in 2025, but Doc managed to go to 2025 in the time train and was able to get the DeLorean back from Griff before he could ruin the time stream. Presumably, since the time circuits and flying circuits were fried in 1885, they would have been fried in 2025 too, so this story would likely be more boring than it seems, as it wouldn't be able to travel through time without Doc fixing it like he had to get his 1955 self to do in the third film.

For all intent and purpose this is the exact same Delorean as in BTTF2, except the various additions Doc added over time and the fact it doesn't fly since it was struck by lightning.

It's likely the temporal duplicate DeLorean didn't fly either when Doc found it, but since he was in 2025 already, he was able to get brand new flying circuits installed.

Bull_Durham posted: »

I noticed the explanation when I played it. When the Delorean got hit by lightning it created a copy that went to the future. Doc found it just in time to prevent it anyone from using it to cause problems.

• There could be any number of reasons.

Like Doc deciding that it would be better to build another Delorean so he can travel time without being as noticeable when he arrives.

While his train looking time traveling machine looks damn cool and has some kind of futuristic technology, it's hard to use in populated areas that are designed for cars.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.