Ongoing Storylines

After falling in love with Telltale again after 400 days and seeing the new remake of Evil Dead, I got an itch to start up Poker Night 2 again. I unlocked everything back when it came out and heard a fair amount of the dialogue, but I never heard much of those ongoing storylines. These are sets of conversations that crop up over time, focusing on an adventure one of the characters is having in between tournaments. I think there are about 5 conversations in each storyline. My apologies if these have been discussed to death in here already - I don't visit these forums very often anymore. I deleted my old save game and decided not to focus on unlocking everything right away, but just on playing a game or two every night and on trying to explore those storylines.

How to trigger the ongoing storylines: From what I understand, the easiest way to start these things is by playing with the normal table set (the one that you start out with), as on the other table sets the game will mostly focus on conversations about that particular franchise. All four players still need to be at the table, and after getting an ongoing storyline-conversation the next conversation in the set won't trigger until you exit and start up the game again (the idea is that the characters actually need time to go on these adventures in between different play sessions). From what I can tell, the last conversation (the 5th one, I think) from a particular storyline will end with a character showing an item to the other characters. After that, another (randomly selected?) character will start the next story line.

The stories I've found so far:

- The Ash/Wendy story (
Ash falls in love with a girl called Wendy, but they get attacked by demons when he proposes to her. Brock sends Dr. Orpheus (from the Venture Bros tv show) to help them out. After some adventures they find out that Wendy isn't human, but a demon-capturing book (yeah, really) that came to life after some demons came to kill it. Ash is pissed off, Wendy destroys the demons, Ash gives Wendy some sugar, and Orpheus turns Wendy back into a book. At the end Ash shows the group his engagement ring, which suddenly has an engraving - a sweet little message left behind from Wendy.
)

- The Sam & Max Prophecy (
Sam & Max encounter some cultists who have a doomsday prophecy seemingly centered around Max - something that Sam & Max are used to after all these years. After crazy people believing the same thing keep popping up they decide to go to space to get some help from a sentient Mexican supercomputer made from tortillas that is said to contain all human knowledge (in Español!). Turns out the supercomputer turned evil, Sam & Max blow it up. In the end it turns out the prophecy was actually about Sam for a change. I can't remember how they actually prevented the world from ending right now
).

- Brock accidentally destroys Dean's card collection (
During a routine home invasion by some super villain, Brock accidentally burns one of Deans trading card collections with a flame thrower. He asks the group to help him replace it before Dean finds out. Sam tells him that it's an extremely rare set of cards, but through some connections he finds a complete set. However, apparently Dean's collection had one extra, one-of-a-kind card called 'The Wrath of Uranus' that's still missing. Don't know how the story ends, this is where I'm at right now
).

So yeah, right now I'm in the middle of that third story. It's been a couple of games since one of the ongoing storyline conversations turned up for me, so I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong. Maybe I just need to be more patient.

Does anyone know how many of these stories there are? I'm guessing there's at least one more story for Claptrap, and possibly one for Glados as well. I haven't really heard anything that was hinting at other possible storylines, apart from Sam sometimes mentioning
that he is in some sort of mysterious relationship with someone

I guess this can also be a place for other hidden conversations and easter eggs. For instance, I've seen a couple of mentions of the upcoming Fables game:
Brock mentioned that Dean said that Telltale is going to do a game involving a 'menagerie', and Brock smokes a pack of 'Huff 'n Puff' cigarettes - most clearly seen in the pause menu
).

Comments

• edited July 2013
    I believe Claptrap's storyline involves him moving into Aperture Science. Could be wrong, though.

I can never get any of them to come up. :(
  • Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited July 2013
    For some reason, the stories come up very frequently on iOS for me but very rarely at all on the PC version. On the iOS version, I've heard everything but the Claptrap story but I have not had a chance for the characters to finish the Brock story though.

As for the Brock/Telltale quote, I thought Brock said "Minaj". Was the joke supposed to be that Brock just misunderstood what Dean meant by a Menagerie?
  • edited July 2013
    For some reason, the stories come up very frequently on iOS for me but very rarely at all on the PC version. On the iOS version, I've heard everything but the Claptrap story but I have not had a chance for the characters to finish the Brock story though.

Yeah, I think I might be stuck at the same point. I wanted to show a friend these ongoing stories, so I showed him the Sam & Max storyline. I did this by simply starting a new tournament on the standard table set, and whenever it was my turn I wouldn't do anything. After a while, someone makes a comment about how you need to hurry up. Shortly after that, they'll start a conversation, either about a random topic or about the ongoing story. Whenever I got something related to the ongoing story, I'd exit the game and start it again. I wouldn't recommend trying to listen the story this way - it's way more fun to take your time and let it come up naturally. This way is quicker though.

Anyway, I've been trying to get the next part of the Brock story this way, but no luck. I hope I'm not stuck, I've been enjoying these stories.
  • edited July 2013
    Tjibbbe wrote: »
    Yeah, I think I might be stuck at the same point. I wanted to show a friend these ongoing stories, so I showed him the Sam & Max storyline. I did this by simply starting a new tournament on the standard table set, and whenever it was my turn I wouldn't do anything. After a while, someone makes a comment about how you need to hurry up. Shortly after that, they'll start a conversation, either about a random topic or about the ongoing story. Whenever I got something related to the ongoing story, I'd exit the game and start it again. I wouldn't recommend trying to listen the story this way - it's way more fun to take your time and let it come up naturally. This way is quicker though.

Anyway, I've been trying to get the next part of the Brock story this way, but no luck. I hope I'm not stuck, I've been enjoying these stories.

On youtube , there is a video of Brock's story , just type " Poker Night Story Time Close encounter of the card kind "
Sign in to comment in this discussion.