Why no Geek?

edited March 2011 in Sam & Max
It is since I seen the show that I was wondering why Darla, the geek didn't appear in the adventures... Any reason?
Was it too complex to manage?
Just you did not think about it?

Am I the only one who misses the genius girl?

Comments

• edited March 2008
    I personally didn't think the geek was that compelling of a character.
  • edited March 2008
    I'd have to agree with that. She was pretty much just there to contrast the insanity of Herrs Sam ünd Max.
  • edited March 2008
    Darla was made exclusively for the show because of some gender BS. As such, The Geek and all her characteristics are probably exclusive to the show.

Though it would be nice to have a refferance to her and maybe even a revisit to the Abandoned Sub-Basement of Solitude... if only to get a bomb or two... hundred... thousand...
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2008
    Zeek wrote: »
    Darla was made exclusively for the show because of some gender BS. As such, The Geek and all her characteristics are probably exclusive to the show.

Though it would be nice to have a refferance to her and maybe even a revisit to the Abandoned Sub-Basement of Solitude... if only to get a bomb or two... hundred... thousand...

As if Max doesn't have access to enough bombs as it is...

Anyway, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Fox owned the rights to the Geek. I could easily be wrong though.
  • edited March 2008
    Yeah, but does he have bombs that are shaped as huggable plush versions of himself? :D
  • edited March 2008
    why would they dring back the geek when they could more easily introduce more goofy neighbors of sam and max (maybe even one or two that live in their building)
  • edited March 2008
    deadly weapons of destruction in the shape of a cute little evil bunny.....
    errr Lagomorphs.......clever :D
  • edited March 2008

Actually that's only partially true. The Geek was onle made into a girl because of the gender BS. An extra on the Sam and Max DVDs stated that the Geek was already being developed and had character concepts of The Geek being a boy drawn up prior to Fox saying they needed a female in the show and suggested making Max into a girl.
  • edited March 2008
    Dedlok wrote: »
    suggested making Max into a girl.

Oh my GOD.
  • edited March 2008
    I liked the concept art they showed in that extra feature too of Max as a girl. Disturbing, but we do get to see a hint of it in the Glazed McGuffin episode. :D
  • edited March 2008
    max as a girl?? gross...:eek:
    anyway, the way i see it, the geek grew up, got tired of building hightech nicnacs and, because she doesn't actually know what to do with her life, changed her name to sybil...
  • edited March 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    max as a girl?? gross...:eek:
    anyway, the way i see it, the geek grew up, got tired of building hightech nicnacs and, because she doesn't actually know what to do with her life, changed her name to sybil...

Dyed her hair... got thinner... changed her voice... but yeah, nice theory! I did get a chortle from that.
  • edited March 2008
    changed her voice...
    right...like everybody that was in the animated series and is now in the games. i heard max even changed his voice during season 1. probably he finally got into puberty or something...:D
  • edited March 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    i heard max even changed his voice during season 1. probably he finally got into puberty or something...:D

His original voice got the flu.

BTW, is Andrew back recording anything for TTG? I haven't been paying that much attention to the credits to check.
  • edited March 2008
    Contrary to what many people assume (and what I used to assume before I knew more about how TV works), it seems like Steve Purcell really was quite prepared to make Sam & Max a kid's show. It's not like he went in with a show that was exactly like the comics and then Fox forced him to tone it down, add extra characters, and put it on Saturday mornings. Such a fundamental disagreement over the nature of the show would've been an issue before any significant development began. He didn't see the finished show on the air and then say, "Hey, wait a minute! This isn't what I expected at all!"
  • edited March 2008
    Contrary to what many people assume (and what I used to assume before I knew more about how TV works), it seems like Steve Purcell really was quite prepared to make Sam & Max a kid's show.

Agreed. It's like with Invader Zim. Vasquez (sp?) clearly intended to make a show that was far less offensive than Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. Nickelodeon didn't censor it all to hell like fans of the comic would have you believe. While I dislike the show's version of Sam & Max, it's pure Purcell. I still say the Geek was tacked on, though.
  • edited March 2008
    And the funniest thing is, for a while they were considering going through with the suggestion, but never really refering to Max's gender in the show. Just have him in the dress. But they considered that to be too big of a nusiance as eventually they would have to use some kind of gender pronoun. So they changed th Geek instead.
  • edited March 2008
    I don't think they should bring the Geek back, I think they should turn Max into a girl! That would be cute! OMG LOL!
  • edited March 2008
    Sam & Maxine!

Though, wasn't Sam the one that crossdressed the most in the show?
  • edited March 2008
    Max as a girl:
    GirlMax.jpg
  • edited March 2008
    Can you find the isolation shot from Tonight We Love where Max is dressed in drag as well? I would, but my DVD player on my computer doesn't have screen capture capabilities. Oh, and using the PrtScrn button won't work either for some reason I do not understand.
  • edited March 2008
    Can you find the isolation shot from Tonight We Love where Max is dressed in drag as well? I would, but my DVD player on my computer doesn't have screen capture capabilities. Oh, and using the PrtScrn button won't work either for some reason I do not understand.
    It's got to do with how the picture is displayed via hardware instead of software to save power. Windows only sees a blank screen, your video card puts a picture there.
  • edited March 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    It's got to do with how the picture is displayed via hardware instead of software to save power. Windows only sees a blank screen, your video card puts a picture there.

So THAT'S how that works! *high five*
  • edited March 2008
    If you play your DVD in VLC, you should be able to do a screengrab
  • edited March 2008
    attachment.php?attachmentid=197
  • edited March 2008
    Well, looks like I'll be having nightmares for the next week or so.
  • edited March 2008
    Thank you, Soultaker! :D
  • edited March 2008
    that's from the valentine's day episode, right?
  • edited March 2008
    AYYEE!!!! the horror!!! the horror.....
  • edited February 2011
    Soultaker wrote: »
    attachment.php?attachmentid=197

O_O
    ....good god
  • FlyFly
    edited March 2011
    He also had the cutest little swimsuit in the Glazed MacGuffin episode:

4zvipi.png

........and while we're on the subject of Sam and Max in dresses

21mrtcl.png
  • edited March 2011
    Was the wedding dress in the glazed mcguffin ep 2?
  • FlyFly
    edited March 2011
    No, the wedding dress is from the 'Previously on Sam and Max' bit after the intro of the first episode. The same montage shows them shrunk by a mad scientist, fighting an octopus under the sea, riding through the jungle on a warthog and holding Max up to the sun on Pride Rock.
  • edited March 2011
    If a piece of ridiculous tech is needed I think its fair to say that most of us would rather see them get it from Bosco... or Mama Bosco.

Also as for the other topic in this thread... why is it that cross dressing is so common with anthropomorphic animals?
  • edited March 2011
    Fly wrote: »
    No, the wedding dress is from the 'Previously on Sam and Max' bit after the intro of the first episode. The same montage shows them shrunk by a mad scientist, fighting an octopus under the sea, riding through the jungle on a warthog and holding Max up to the sun on Pride Rock.

What other cartoon has all that? None, that's what. Sam and Max really are the best! :D
  • edited March 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    If a piece of ridiculous tech is needed I think its fair to say that most of us would rather see them get it from Bosco... or Mama Bosco.

Also as for the other topic in this thread... why is it that cross dressing is so common with anthropomorphic animals?

Cos Moral Gaurdians don't seem to notice animals doing it. they do notice sponges though.
  • edited March 2011
    Fly wrote: »
    He also had the cutest little swimsuit in the Glazed MacGuffin episode:

4zvipi.png

........and while we're on the subject of Sam and Max in dresses

21mrtcl.png

...good double god...
  • FlyFly
    edited March 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    why is it that cross dressing is so common with anthropomorphic animals?

There's two answers to this.

The pretentious one is to do with the Trickster Archetype associated with cartoon characters, particularly nonhuman ones, and the fact that animals are culturally considered genderless.

The other one is 'because it's funny'.
  • edited March 2011
    i like to see the Geek she thing that got me in to the show and then the
    rest of sam and max so if she douse re-ton for a episode it wood be cool by fore like gust fore and example sam and max are in Sub-Basement of Solitude
    and max: say sam what is this pleas. sam:you Knuckle-head you fore got the Sub-Basement of Solitude where are old friend The Geek lived. max: then why is it surcharge a dump. sam. she was a kid and a scientist and she work hard she didn't care muck fore well muck over than science plus she hasten been hear for sum time after she was recruited of some secret project. max: which was what? sam: I don't now but when you ask that we had to replace that metal plat in you head. and then the geek sows up whey well I guest I did all that pulse I have eye problems OK and it was and example but if tell-tale turd it in to and episode well I wood be honour.
  • edited March 2011
    Bosco is tons more entertaining, first of all.

Also, nifty gadgets does not a fun adventure game make.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.