telltale game on Apple computers

edited August 2008 in General Chat
I was wondering why doesn't telltale games make there games for the apple computers. I love the Sam & Max Games and i love mac computers. I went and bought a windows pc just so i could play them. i mean a mac is in my opinion the best made and most secure pc on the market and there compters keep getting better i mean they run windows vista better than a pc does. So why can't i get TellTale games made for a MAC!

Comments

• jmmjmm
    edited March 2008
    Market size. I love macs but... "ibm-compatible" pcs are everywhere. Macs are nowhere to be found or in very little quantities (at work, we have 1 mac per 500 Wintel boxes = 2 macs*)
    And now, macs are Intel too... (madness!)

But on the plus side, that means you can corrupt your mac with windows more easily (is that a good thing?) and play S&M (at least thats a good thing)

* In case boss is lurking here....: Of course we don't play at work... we are responsible employees (plus, the video cards are quite poor)
  • edited March 2008
    I dont want a corrupted MAC i just want a MAC version of SAM & MAX!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2008
    I love Macs (I am writing this post from a G5!). Many Telltale employees have Macs at home, and there are even a few secret Macs at work. Unfortunately, we're not rolling in programmers to do the legwork to get our games on Macs right now. Hopefully some day we will be awesome enough to have Mac games!
  • edited March 2008
    Wait... people actually play games on a Mac? Aren't you guys too busy making movies and stuff? :p
  • edited March 2008
    of course no one plays games on macs...there aren't any.
  • edited March 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    of course no one plays games on macs...there aren't any.

Don't be silly. Look at the wide selection of games Mac users have. *muffled laughter*
  • edited March 2008
    the only games i ever played on my mac...hmm, everything i could cramp into the mac version of scummvm..
  • edited March 2008
    Champ'dout wrote: »
    I was wondering why doesn't telltale games make there games for the apple computers.

Well thats cause everyone else likes oranges :p
  • edited March 2008
    i have a mac. boot camp is my friend.
  • edited March 2008
    V_Ben wrote: »

Boot%20Camp.jpg
  • edited March 2008
    what does the military and mac computers have to do with each other oh and that pic of the basic trainee brings back memories of boot camp for me
  • edited March 2008
    Champ'dout wrote: »
    what does the military and mac computers have to do with each other oh and that pic of the basic trainee brings back memories of boot camp for me
    Boot camp, n. 1. A place where soldiers are trained. 2. A Windows emulator for Macs.
  • edited March 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    Boot camp, n. 2. A Windows emulator for Macs.

That would be incorrect.
  • edited March 2008
    Don't be silly. Look at the wide selection of games Mac users have. *muffled laughter*
    That's great compared to the crappy selection of games for Linux :P
  • edited March 2008

Well... Sam&Max didn't work on a fresh build of wine or cedega, however besides the few great FPS games released for Linux, there are plenty that do work with the emulation.
    Yes, indeed I tend to use Windows to play the latest releases...

If Telltale didn't use the silly launcher that is dependent on the browser, I am quite sure Sam&Max would work fine..
  • edited March 2008
    Sam and Max does work fine in Linux. http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4544
    :)
    Now the guys at Telltale need to make that HTML menu that they promised for this site to replace the current flash-based one that doesn't work properly.
  • edited March 2008
    r00tb33r wrote: »
    That would be incorrect.
    Yeah, probably. I'm not familiar with Macs; that was just my understanding of Bootcamp's function.
  • edited March 2008
    dg10050 wrote: »
    Sam and Max does work fine in Linux. http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4544
    :)
    Now the guys at Telltale need to make that HTML menu that they promised for this site to replace the current flash-based one that doesn't work properly.

Oh well... It doesn't work on my from-scratch-ish thing. I remember that I get the first window that supposed have "play" button or whatever... and thats about where it ended. It was such a long time ago (Season 1 episode 1?) that I don't remember the details. I will give it another shot sometime... Perhaps I need to build a fresh-er version of wine.
    Whats the point of the launcher anyway?
  • edited March 2008

Linux get the Penny Arcade games! Well, that's one (hopefully) good game...
  • edited April 2008
    r00tb33r wrote: »
    Well... Sam&Max didn't work on a fresh build of wine or cedega, however besides the few great FPS games released for Linux, there are plenty that do work with the emulation
    Well, I actually meant native games :P Emulation doesn't count
    Linux get the Penny Arcade games! Well, that's one (hopefully) good game...
    Oh there's some great free games that come with the O.S., :D but not really anything good commercial.
    Sam and Max does work fine in Linux
    Not for everyone :( I'm having troubles
  • edited April 2008
    Oh there's some great free games that come with the O.S., :D but not really anything good commercial.
    thats if you are not into fps... pretty much all ID games have been ported to Linux, Doom 3 and Quake 4 had simultaneous Linux release...
    Unreal, UT, UT2003 and UT2004 are all ported to Linux... not sure about Unreal 2...
    Serious Sam 2 had a fairly quick Linux release as well... OpenAL never worked well for me... it works for some people thats all that matters i guess...

now if everybody else picked ID as the role model in Linux ports then we all would be a lot happier.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    I was raised in a Mac household, and I played all my Sierra adventure games on Apple computers. The only reason I bought a PC after college was because games weren't coming out for the Mac anymore. :(

But last year I bought a MacBook, and it's what I'm using right now to post this. That must count for something.
  • edited April 2008
    Well, I actually meant native games :P Emulation doesn't count
    Wine isn't emulation. It's a "reimplementation of the Windows APIs on top of Unix." [/nitpick]

And by the way, Sam & Max works pretty well on a Mac or Linux using the latest version of Crossover Office and Crossover Games. Only Season 2 Ep 1 doesn't work according to the Wine application database.
  • edited April 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    I was raised in a Mac household(...)
    :D a mac household...hehe. "no, we can't marry, our parents will never allow it. you were raised pc and i mac":cool:

we just need to wait a few more years..i would really like a mac version, but fortunately you have the option of bootcamp on intel macs and the g3 won't be supported by native mac os games anyway, so it doesn't matter to me.
  • edited April 2008
    ... And so they did.

Nice work Tabacco!
    The time it takes for me to load the site, has reduced almost in half. I'm a happy fajerkaos now! :D
  • edited April 2008
    You can thank Mike for that one, actually :)
  • edited April 2008
    Ops, sorry.
    Thanks Mike! Much appreciated :D
  • edited April 2008
    Thanks Mike! :)
  • edited May 2008
    You have some games for Linux that you can buy on tuxgames.com, pluss you can make most games work on wine:D
  • edited May 2008
    But Sam & Max on Mac would be awesome. I just bought myselfe a Mac, and I would love to play S&M on it
  • edited May 2008
    How ironic. I'm getting myself an old iMac, because I want to play Pegasus Prime on it. Also, some of my old games have dual mac/windows dvds/cds, like quite many of the Myst games, and Journeyman Project 3. I also bought a copy of Warcraft 2, which runs both on MacOS 9 and Windows.

It's for shame that so little apps supports pre-MacOS X anymore. Just finding a browser that works better than those age old versions of Netscape and Internet Explorer were a drag. You can still get a lot of apps for Windows 98(which were released before MacOS 9), but getting apps for MacOS 9 is a lot of work.
  • NodNod
    edited May 2008
    I'd love to play Sam & Max on my Mac, and it seems like it'd be a good fit since it doesn't have insane hardware reqs. I know the Penny Arcade folks were able to do their game on Mac/Windows/Linux simultaneously. Cider might also be an option:

http://www.transgaming.com/

Of course Boot Camp is an option with an Intel Mac, but completely rebooting to play a game, and then booting back when you're done is a hassle.
  • edited May 2008
    Fyi, Hothead Games, the guys who made the Penny Arcade game, licensed the Torque Game Engine (TGE) for their games. TGE already has ports on Mac and Linux, so it wasn't really much effort for them to release the game on those platforms too. It's a bit more difficult to port a game that depends on a bunch of Windows components over to another platform. And you can't exactly just drag and drop a game into Cider and have it run, unless I'm missing something. ;)
    Edit: Well apparently I was missing something. According to the Transgaming site, Cider is basically just a contained version of Wine.
  • edited May 2008
    Macs aren't for games.
  • SegSeg
    edited May 2008
    Orange+ wrote: »
    Macs aren't for games.
    My New Media BFA Thesis was a game developed for Mac & Windows.

Windows & Mac was my aim from the beginning. I wanted my Mac to play the game, and most of my professors were on Mac. I choose Shockwave as my engine as it was the only engine that could do video. Torque was very attractive, but didn't do video, and Flash wasn't quite ready to handle video at that time.
  • edited August 2008
    I buy games for the game, not the engine... so wouldn't opening the code/specs for your engine allow other devs to jump in and make a (free/unsupported) client for their OS?
    Or you could somehow work together with scummvm, they have ports to practically every platform.

I kicked out Windows years ago and I'm not planning on ever using it again, for now wine does the trick, but a native client would be preferred...
  • edited August 2008
    V_Ben wrote: »

Mine Too. That's how I get to play the PC versions of all the Sam & Max games, plus SBCG4AP.
    TrogLlama wrote:
    I'm not familiar with Macs; that was just my understanding of Bootcamp's function.

Boot Camp is not a Windows Emulator for Macs but a program that allows Intel-based Mac Owners to dual boot Windows with more ease than without. When you start it in OS X, you partition your hard drive, and then insert the Windows Disc to install Windows, and then when Windows Starts up, you eject the disc and put the OS X 10.5 Leopard disc in to install the drivers to make Windows more "mac-friendly" (e.g. activating the volume keys, CD eject key, bluetooth receiver, wi-fi receiver, etc.).

And thanks to Boot Camp, I can play PC games on my Mac!
  • edited August 2008
    I have a Mac Book Pro and I refuse to install Windoz because that's how rabid of a fanboy I am. One of my favorite things about the Adventure Games of the past were that they were mostly all on the Mac. I gotta tell you, if there's one "genius" who decided to make Grimm Fandango PC only, he better watch his back :mad:.

But since Telltale is putting the games on the Wii now, I'm fine.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.