Season bundle for the wii

I'm really excited about the episodic format you guys are finally getting right with Sam&Max, but I also like to have a box to put on my shelf when the season is over. I thing the deal you made in Sam&Max, with the season subscription, is superb, and it was the thing that finally removed all questions for me on whether to subscribe to the season or buy the whole bundle when it's over.

Now, I'm not really sure how wiiware works, but - will you be offering a similar deal for the wii?

Comments

• edited April 2008
    Yeah, will there be a subscription option? I hope there is one, would make the episodic series more appealing.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    No season subscription on WiiWare, but we will offer a season bundle for the PC version.

To answer your other question about whether there will be a free disc -- it's something we're still talking about. Whatever we decide will be addressed in a future announcement. :)
  • edited April 2008
    Too bad... now I'm in a real dilemma on which version to play... any help guys? Could you say what the differences would be between the PC and the wiiware versions? Specifically - which one will be better?

It's funny, but I'm almost hoping you would NOT offer the free disc with the PC subscription, just so that I could choose the wii version without second thoughts :)
  • edited April 2008
    It's funny, but I'm almost hoping you would NOT offer the free disc with the PC subscription, just so that I could choose the wii version without second thoughts

Hear hear, I need to stop playing these games on my crappy, slow computer and get some incentive to buy a Wii. Otherwise I'll forever feel alienated from my Wii playing friends.
    ...I'm only half serious, though. Free stuff is always a plus! xD
  • KevinKevin Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    matan wrote: »
    which one will be better?

That's like trying to pick a favorite child!
  • edited April 2008
    Which costs more- the PC or Wii version? Is buying the individual episodes via Wii Ware more expensive than getting the season on PC?
  • edited April 2008
    We haven't announced any pricing details yet, sorry.
  • edited April 2008
    I'm somewhat torn as well over which version to buy. It seems like the Wii version is going to have some cool features, but I love the idea of having the disc. It would be great if those who purchase all the games on the Wii could somehow get a disc for PC or even a Wii disc for free.

Knowing that the Wii purchases are only for the console they're purchased on, if something ever happens to my Wii, I lose all the content I purchase. This is a big reason why I haven't purchased anything from the Wii Channel yet. If TTG can do something to hedge that concern, I wouldn't hesitate on which version to purchase.
  • edited April 2008
    Quadriflax wrote: »
    Knowing that the Wii purchases are only for the console they're purchased on, if something ever happens to my Wii, I lose all the content I purchase. This is a big reason why I haven't purchased anything from the Wii Channel yet. If TTG can do something to hedge that concern, I wouldn't hesitate on which version to purchase.

I agree.

Still, what I hope TellTale do is keep them the same as possible (content, release date, price) and let people have an honest choice about which platform to buy them from.
  • edited April 2008
    I'm hoping that the PC version will have high res screen modes like season 2 of sam n max (and widescreen)
  • edited April 2008
    It will. Same engine, same options.
  • edited April 2008
    If you send your broken and your new Wii to Nintendo, they will transfer all your games. It's a bit inconvenient, sure, but it works.
  • edited April 2008
    wsippel wrote: »
    If you send your broken and your new Wii to Nintendo, they will transfer all your games. It's a bit inconvenient, sure, but it works.
    Is that a new thing? I thought when they first came out it was tied directly to the unique number on the console, and they wouldn't copy.

I'd also be worried about memory space in the long run. Between game saves and other downloads and updates, there's only so much space to go 'round before you have to start putting things on an SD card and swapping files so you can run things from the internal memory.

Not to mention the fact that I still feel slightly ripped off with the Sam & Max disc. I ordered the Season 1 pass, purchased the disc for the cost of S&H, only to find out the store version came with an actual box and some extra content (e.g., poster). Kudos to TTG for offering the disc to those of us that bought the online content, but I'm actually holding off on Season 2 so I can purchase it from the store to get the whole package (assuming they're doing it again).

Heck, I bought most of the HR DVDs (and will buy the rest eventually), even though the cartoons are all free online. I did this mostly because I wanted to support the effort, but partly because I wanted the discs.

Rest assured I'll be happy no matter what, but sometimes it's the little things that can really do it for me :)
  • edited April 2008
    Uh... have you tried putting our disc in your DVD player like it says on the top of the disc?
  • edited April 2008
    Not to mention the fact that I still feel slightly ripped off with the Sam & Max disc. I ordered the Season 1 pass, purchased the disc for the cost of S&H, only to find out the store version came with an actual box and some extra content (e.g., poster). Kudos to TTG for offering the disc to those of us that bought the online content, but I'm actually holding off on Season 2 so I can purchase it from the store to get the whole package (assuming they're doing it again).

Eh, what?

I thought the Telltale dvd package was much better than the one sold in stores.
  • edited April 2008
    matan wrote: »
    Eh, what?

I thought the Telltale dvd package was much better than the one sold in stores.

Really? I saw the box in the store and it seemed cooler than just the DVD case. Maybe it was my imagination. Guess I don't have to feel like I missed out on something then.
    tabacco wrote:
    Uh... have you tried putting our disc in your DVD player like it says on the top of the disc?
    Does it have a poster on it? Must be a new technology.
  • edited April 2008
    So I'm guessing you didn't try it then. Give that a shot and then complain about the quality or number of extras on our disc :)
  • edited April 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    So I'm guessing you didn't try it then. Give that a shot and then complain about the quality or number of extras on our disc :)

Not to get in an argument, but I didn't get a poster in the DVD from the site that appears to come with the retail store version. Sure, maybe there's something you can print off the DVD, but my printer isn't exactly what you would call "good."

In the end, it's a minor thing. But I'm also the kind of guy who shells out extra cash for a limited edition game to get some stupid little figure or something. I'm just a sucker for crap no one really needs.

Let's just focus on the awesomeness that is Homestar.
  • edited April 2008
    Not to get in an argument, but I didn't get a poster in the DVD from the site that appears to come with the retail store version. Sure, maybe there's something you can print off the DVD, but my printer isn't exactly what you would call "good."

In the end, it's a minor thing. But I'm also the kind of guy who shells out extra cash for a limited edition game to get some stupid little figure or something. I'm just a sucker for crap no one really needs.

Let's just focus on the awesomeness that is Homestar.

I think what Tabacco means that if you put the game in your DVD player then you will discover it has many different special features that the normal store version doesn't have. The Telltale version doesn't come with any sort of poster (print-off or not), but it does have things such as a blooper real and commentaries.

I hope there is a free disc. I always like having a hard copy along with things (I've only just got into iTunes downloading) and it'd be nice to have some cool special extras on the disc too!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    Not to mention the fact that I still feel slightly ripped off with the Sam & Max disc. I ordered the Season 1 pass, purchased the disc for the cost of S&H, only to find out the store version came with an actual box and some extra content (e.g., poster).

The TTG disc's packaging is painted by Steve Purcell... and, as tabacco said, if you put it in your video DVD player (on your TV), it has about three hours worth of special features videos. Sorry you didn't get a fold-out poster and a paperboard box featuring the same 3D rendered art used in the comic book adverts GameTap ran for the game. :P The retail disc is nice, but I think TTG's disc is pretty competitive in terms of features offered, if you play it in a video DVD player on your TV or on your PC.
  • edited April 2008
    I think what Tabacco means that if you put the game in your DVD player then you will discover it has many different special features that the normal store version doesn't have. The Telltale version doesn't come with any sort of poster (print-off or not), but it does have things such as a blooper real and commentaries.
    Maybe I just don't know what the retail version has in comparison to the site's version. I haven't explored everything on the site disc and I don't have the retail version. The actual disc content was not really the point, though from what I can gather, maybe it has more stuff than the retail box version that everyone thinks cancels out the poster.

I just like tangible items like a disc, or a figure, or a poster, or some stupid booklet or something. It's a stupid habit, but a satisfying one nonetheless because years down the line I can still have that little figure or something on my desk, even when I don't have the time to bust out and watch a DVD video or something. It would appear that I'm in the minority, so feel free to ignore my ramblings (off topic: the last issue of Games for Windows had a great article on special editions and packaging that made me which more games came with cool, admittedly useless stuff).
  • edited April 2008
    I just like tangible items like a disc, or a figure, or a poster, or some stupid booklet or something.

Well, Telltale did make that case book with all the cool stuff including the magnet which is still on my refrigerator :D

Sure it didn't come free with the dvd, but it was a very small fee, and I don't remember any game which had such a cool bunch of stuff come with it since the Infocom age.
  • edited April 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    The TTG disc's packaging is painted by Steve Purcell... and, as tabacco said, if you put it in your video DVD player (on your TV), it has about three hours worth of special features videos. Sorry you didn't get a fold-out poster and a paperboard box featuring the same 3D rendered art used in the comic book adverts GameTap ran for the game. :P The retail disc is nice, but I think TTG's disc is pretty competitive in terms of features offered, if you play it in a video DVD player on your TV or on your PC.

'Tis a cool disc, and I'm certainly not complaining about disc content. As stated, I'm just a sucker for packaging. I have quite a nice collection of old video games of all kinds and I often find myself flipping through the manuals and just looking at the boxes.

In general, I'm finding myself not very happy with the trend of online downloads because I don't get that awesome packaging. It's great for those things that are too rare or too expensive to purchase, so you can still get the content, but there's something to be said for having the actual thing in my hands. Which is why I'm thankful for the opportunity to get an actual disc at the end of a season. Let's just agree that I'm a packaging freak and move on :)
    edited April 2008
    Fair enough! It was only after I wrote my post that I realized you were more upset about the lack of a poster or something than the special features themselves. For what it's worth, the case file was pretty cool in terms of weird pack-in collectibles, and the packaging for the season one soundtrack turned out well :P Since the disc is a freebie we give to people who already paid to play the episodes online months ahead of the retail release, we aren't really able to stuff it full of neat additional hard goods (which become costly very quickly), but we try to make it the best bonus disc we possibly can.
  • edited April 2008
    I for one am glad i got the telltale one; I'm sure there are people out there grumbling because all they got was a lousy poster which disintegrates in a while, when they could have all these awesome digital extras
  • edited July 2008
    Have SBCG4AP
  • edited July 2008
    Since this thread has been resurrected and we're getting ever closer to the release date for the first episode, has there been any decisions made on disc versions/extras for PC vs. Wii? I'm still not sure what version I'm going to end up purchasing. I hope this will be announced before the first episodes are released so I can make this all important decision.
  • edited July 2008
    I would HAVE to go for the PC version of the Strong Bad games, for several reasons that probably only matter to me.

First of all, I know I'll be using computers for many, many years to come. And I'd rather deal with a company like Telltale when I have an issue with my license. My 360 died on me a good year and a half ago. I wasn't able to play my arcade games while not connected to my online Live account until about a month ago. This locked my family out of the games for that amount of time too, which was PARTICULARLY bad because there were a couple games in there that I bought specifically FOR them. This was NOT fixed by customer service, but rather by an AUTOMATIC UPDATE to the software that handled the system's DRM.

When I compare the year and a half of waiting, hours upon hours of completely unproductive service calls, and frustration to the always-pleasant, fast, and overall exceptional customer service of Telltale...and I have to say, the latter group is the one I'd want to work with in any case.

I understand that the Wii is not the 360. But Telltale is still Telltale, and I know that Nintendo's customer service is still "big company customer service".

Secondly, I watch Homestar Runner cartoons on my PC. I think it'll simply feel more natural to check Strong Bad's e-mails from...my computer.

Third of all, I know I'm going to use computers for many, many years to come. When the next video game system comes out, am I going to want to pull out the Wii to re-play the (then) old game? Or open a folder and start it up?

Fourth, I have a laptop. It's more portable than a Wii, I can use it in more places than the Wii. My laptop's hardware simply has advantages over the Wii that cannot be overcome. Also, I think the "email friends" feature that I think was talked about(unless I dreamed it... o.o ) would work better on a PC than the Wii.

Finally, I'm going to assume that Telltale is going to reward people that purchase directly from their store as they have in the past. This is completely conjecture on my part, and if they don't the above reasons are still enough for me.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    From someone that works in customer service (sorta), I have to say that I really like the way Nintendo does their customer service. I've had nothing but good experiences with them, and I can't even remember coming across any horror stories in all the years of reading gaming blogs, which is pretty impressive all things considered.

That said, it doesn't matter in the slightest to me which version of the game you end up playing, I just wanted to throw that out there.
  • edited July 2008
    I would HAVE to go for the PC version of the Strong Bad games, for several reasons that probably only matter to me.

You make some great points. I was thinking the Wii version would have some cool "wiggle and waggle" stuff that would make it the better playing experience, but I'm not so sure I'm convinced, since everything I've seen from TTG has said the two will be pretty much exactly the same. I'm leaning more towards the PC version now, methinks.
  • edited July 2008
    You make some great points. I was thinking the Wii version would have some cool "wiggle and waggle" stuff that would make it the better playing experience, but I'm not so sure I'm convinced, since everything I've seen from TTG has said the two will be pretty much exactly the same. I'm leaning more towards the PC version now, methinks.

I don't know. I think I read that in the Wii version of SBCG4AP, you can trade items with other players à la Animal Crossing. I think I'm leaning more towards the Wii version at this point...
  • edited July 2008
    Wii version for me.

I'm definitely going to play this on my big television set. It's the same reason that I bought the H*R DVD's as well.. so I could play them on a big screen instead of a little one.
    edited July 2008
    I don't know. I think I read that in the Wii version of SBCG4AP, you can trade items with other players à la Animal Crossing. I think I'm leaning more towards the Wii version at this point...

That was discussed early on but isn't actually in the game. You can use Strong Bad's Lappy to send email and photos to other Wii users' messageboards in the Wii version.

On the PC version you can take photos which are stored to your PC's hard drive, but you can't send email from within the game on the Lappy.
  • edited July 2008
    Since you haven't announced the pricing for this game, I was secretly still hoping that there will be a season bundle for the wii, with a bonus wii disc at the end of the season. At least, it would be nice to have some kind of a price reduction for buying the bonus disc or wii retail version after the season is over.

Otherwise, I'm having a hard time deciding between the PC version, the wii version, or waiting until the season is over to buy the wii disc version.

Are there any news on that front?
  • edited July 2008
    It would be great if they offered a season pack on the Wii with some extras.
  • edited August 2008
    On a disk? In retail!? That would be fun. Extras? Like what?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.