Jesse James' Finger

edited April 2008 in Sam & Max
Perhaps just the fact that it's JJ's hand explains it but not so much in the game. IIRC back in the first half of Season 1, Jesse's hand had all fingers. Then at some point, a finger ends up missing all of the sudden. There were even some threads on it then but I don't recall the replies.

Was there ever an explanation (in the game) as to where his finger went (yet)?

When I was playing through 205, there was a scene that made me think that there would be an explanation but no. Is it a "did you try..." moment? or will it be one of those ongoing mysteries that will be revealed somewhere in season 3? Or did I just totally miss it?

Comments

• edited April 2008
    Sometimes things have no and need no explanation. Pretty sure that is the case this time.
  • edited April 2008
    I didn't even realize it ever had all 5 fingers. Er, all I know is that there's a mentioning of it in the old On The Road comic, where Jessie James' trigger finger has been stolen among other things. Why this would have occurred again in the middle of season 1 is beyond me.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    In the Season One episode in which the finger disappears, I think you can click on the hand to make Sam ask Max about it. I'm not sure, but I remember Max commenting that he had eaten it or fed it to Leonard or Mr Spatula or something? Can't remember.
  • edited April 2008
    the hand was all there from 101 - 104.. then all of a sudden in 105 the ring finger is missing... the line for clicking it in 105 (if i recall corectly)

Sam: look, jesse james actual hand
    Max: no, remember that carbon dater said it was only...
    Sam: (shaking fist) jesse james actual hand.. amazing
  • edited April 2008
    Sounds like Strong Bad's carpet to me...... :p
    edited April 2008
    Maybe I imagined it, then?
  • edited April 2008
    if the line really is there, then it is probably one of the best easter eggs in game history..
  • edited April 2008
    I do remember sam commenting on how his finger went missing, but I don't know which episode it was in
    edited April 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    if the line really is there, then it is probably one of the best easter eggs in game history..

It might be something I imagined, or something Dave Bogan made up and told me, but wasn't actually from the game.
  • edited April 2008
    If the hand is just a fake, then maybe my crazy "Hit the Road really takes place after the Telltale games" theory could work after all! There's some evidence towards this:

-Stinky's has been Stinky's
    since 1980 at least
    , but in HtR it was called Really Bad Food. Maybe Girl Stinky sold the shop after making her
    adhesive/zombie hand spray.

-Bosco is unseen in HtR and referred to as "Old Man Bosco". He might've aged a bit since Season 2. Also,
    Momma Bosco's soul could've returned to her body somehow since she didn't have her token, and then helped Bosco run the shop, which explains why "Baby Needs" are once again sold there.

-The Esperanto Bookstore isn't in HtR, Bosco's is right next to the office, like in Season 2.
  • edited April 2008
    :eek:..now it all makes sense. also the car: they probably bought one like the original desoto, since the other one is possessed now.
  • edited April 2008
    Maybe the very last Telltale episode will culminate in Sam and Max busting in on a mad scientist...
  • edited April 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    :eek:..now it all makes sense. also the car: they probably bought one like the original desoto, since the other one is possessed now.

What about the bent meter? "Remember our old car, Max?" So I dunno.
  • edited April 2008

Not to mention all the inside jokes and callbacks to HTR. Unless, of course... HTR was actually referencing TellTale's games! The game might've been prophetic! It boggles the mind.
  • edited April 2008
    now im just confused @_@
  • edited April 2008
    r00tb33r wrote: »
    right...so, the car in htr is either the third one (no.1 comics/animated, no.2 seasons, no.3 htr) or it is the season2 desoto with a roof and removed flames, but still some demonic possession. thats why it follows sam&max when the player is not looking...:D
  • edited April 2008
    @teeth
    I say they happen concurrently. Parallel dimensions and all that whoosiwhatsit.
  • edited April 2008
    Yes, that's why it meets you at the Ball of Twine when you travelled by flying fish. If the car is fixed in Season 3, then that season must take place after HTR.

...oh gods, I hope this insane speculation doesn't escalate over the months we'll all be seperated from the new Sam & Max episodes. I should probably shut up now. xD
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    It might be something I imagined, or something Dave Bogan made up and told me, but wasn't actually from the game.

I actually remember that line too.... Maybe it was in an earlier build that was later cut? I definitely remember something about Leonard eating it, most likely in 104.
  • edited April 2008
    Will wrote: »
    I actually remember that line to.... Maybe it was in an earlier build that was later cut? I definitely remember something about Leonard eating it, most likely in 104.

I remember it too, and I neither beta tested nor developed the episode(even though you can send me some money if you like). I'm pretty sure it's in there somewhere. Oh boy... now I'll probably end up downloading the episodes to hunt for that line again.
  • edited April 2008
    There was a line on one of them saying something about it. I just can't remember at all what they said exactly. And that was in one of the episodes (at least from a non-gametap, immediately-downloaded-upon-release build). I don't think it said anything about Leonard though. I'll probably check it out again and report the findings (if nobody doesn't do it already).
  • edited April 2008
    i guess it must be hidden in not-hand-related dialogue...clicking the hand itself doesn't trigger anything of that sort..
  • edited April 2008
    I have no idea myself, and I've played through the season. Maybe Telltale could offer a prize to whoever finds the line.
  • edited April 2008
    Maybe when you click on Leonard and Sam asks Max what he's been feeding Leonard. Was that in 106? The list includes the deed to the US, but perhaps Jesse James' finger is included too... can't remember
  • edited April 2008
    Dangerzone wrote: »
    the hand was all there from 101 - 104.. then all of a sudden in 105 the ring finger is missing... the line for clicking it in 105 (if i recall corectly)

Sam: look, jesse james actual hand
    Max: no, remember that carbon dater said it was only...
    Sam: (shaking fist) jesse james actual hand.. amazing

I found a post by you from 2007: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=27032&postcount=6

So you saw where it went to back then :p
  • edited April 2008
    oh, and I slightly remember, Max said he practised shooting on this hand. (was it before or after 105?)
  • edited April 2008
    Will wrote: »
    I actually remember that line too.... Maybe it was in an earlier build that was later cut? I definitely remember something about Leonard eating it, most likely in 104.

i think i know where you got that line from. remember in season 1 episode 6, if you click leonard Sam asks Max " Did you feed leonard today Max" "Yes" "actually, what have you been feeding him" sam asks again. "Oh some peices of scrap lying in the office, today i gave him something call the 'the treaty to America', looked tasty." Max replies. It went something like that, and i dont know where the finger went either, its been a season and a half for me.

my first post ever here! yay!
  • edited August 2014

I'm surprised no one mentioned it.. or maybe they have elsewhere, but I found this thread in Google. There's a line in the Jesse James movie that came out in 2007-- this is regarding Jesse: "He was missing the nub of his left middle finger and was cautious, lest that mutilation be seen."

This is likely true for the real man, but I think the game creators had obviously made a reference to it. I was impressed, correct fingers/hand notwithstanding.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.