The Admissions Paradox

TelltaleGamesTelltaleGames Former Telltale Staff
Hey kids, it's time for a puzzle! But first, a few words from our sponsor.

I thought long and hard about writing another mind-expanding, soul-enhancing, humanity-empowering blog this week, but then I thought, eh, who needs it? Maybe what everyone really wants is to think for themselves, to unlock the mysteries of the universe with their own minds! But could a mere puzzle actually serve as a blog? I say yes, but contractual obligations require me to write an elaborate intro at the very least. This has been a pretty elaborate intro, wouldn't you say? I'd say it's at least as elaborate as the intro to War and Peace, which is so elaborate I still haven't finished it after six years of reading. Actually, I've never read it. I just threw that in because I wanted to include the painstaking attention to detail that is so characteristic of 'elaborate', at least according to dictionary.com. And now, to spare you from reading any more time-wasting filler, here's the puzzle!

In the 1970's, a study was done at U.C. Berkeley to see if there was a gender bias in graduate school admissions. The study found that males had a noticeably higher acceptance rate than females. But when the researchers tried to figure out which departments showed the bias, they actually found that females had the same or higher acceptance rates in every department! How is that possible? Chilling, isn't it!

I'll post a hint later this week, and the answer next week. You probably shouldn't post the answer in the comments section, just to avoid spoiling it for anyone. If you want to brag, you can just say, "Hey everyone, I got it"�, but of course you could just say that even if you didn't get it, because how would anyone verify that?

This discussion has been closed.