People are talking...

TelltaleGamesTelltaleGames Former Telltale Staff
I have a confession to make: I haven't played Sam & Max Hit the Road.

That's not even the worst of it. I have a copy of Surfin' the Highway at home, almost untouched. It was given to me by my (now ex) boyfriend in 1998. He and I read through part of it together, and then we broke up and the book went into the closet with everything else he gave me. At one point I almost sold it on eBay. Almost. For some reason I couldn't bring myself to part with it.

I've been telling this story a lot lately. I just can't get over the fact that fate has plunked me down in this crowded office in San Rafael in the midst of the little-project-that-could otherwise known as "Sam & Max: Season 1." My first few weeks with Telltale went by like a speeding train. We were closing in on the big GameTap announcement, and there just wasn't enough time in the day to get everything done--the trailer, the website, the comic generator. Several of us found ourselves at the office until the wee hours of morning putting together the many pieces of the debut that would finally come together at E3. We wanted everyone's first glimpse of the new Sam & Max to make a big splash. More than that, we wanted to give you guys some really cool content to chew on.

Then E3 was upon us. The show only lasts three days, barely half a week. So why did it feel longer and even more draining than the prep work? Could it be because there's never anything to eat at the LA convention center? Because we were overstimulated by all the noise and free t-shirts? These things could have something to do with it, sure, but I think part of the reason those three days felt so long is that suddenly thousands of people were talking about Sam & Max. The work we've been keeping secret, everything that's been happening at Telltale behind the scenes, was finally out in the open. We were able to share the news about our partnership with GameTap. We gave you a date to hold on to for the first Sam & Max episode: Fall, 2006. We got to hear your reactions to the characters, the voices, the direction we're taking. Most of what we're hearing is positive, and that's encouraging, but even the criticisms are good to hear because they're real. People are talking about Sam & Max again, and not just in a bitter "I can't believe Freelance Police was cancelled" way.

A lot of the traffic to our website this past week has been from international sites. Gamers in Germany, France, the Netherlands, Russia, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Belgium, and Brazil are excited. I thought everyone who cared about Sam & Max already knew about Telltale's plans, but I keep seeing forum posts and blog entries from people going, "Oh my God! There's going to be a new Sam & Max game!" I can't help but wonder how many more of you are out there, going about your daily routines with no idea what we're cooking up. We want to reach all of you, each and every person who ever laughed at a Sam & Max comic, or watched the Saturday morning cartoon, or played Hit the Road as a kid. We'll keep doing what we can to find you guys, because there's nothing greater than the excitement of someone who's just rediscovered Sam & Max.

I'm pretty sure that the only reason I never played the first Sam & Max game when it came out is because no one told me about this awesome game I had to try. Word of mouth is an amazing thing. So, that friend you played Hit the Road with back in 1993? That (now ex) boyfriend who introduced you to Surfin' the Highway? Drop them a line and share the news. It'll make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

But wait--before you go, any chance you could give me a hint for what I'm supposed to be doing at The World's Largest Ball of Twine?
This discussion has been closed.