A worthy cause -- Child's Play

TelltaleGamesTelltaleGames Former Telltale Staff
Yesterday Heather and I went into Starbucks for a coffee break and within two seconds of entering the building we were standing in front of the pastry case, practically with our noses up against the glass, peering in at the incredibly-yummy-looking-yet-disgustingly-fattening winter-themed desserts. Apparently it's not enough to play Christmas music nonstop and sell those cute little barista bears dressed up for winter, but Starbucks has to rub in the fact that it's a time of good cheer by tempting us with holiday themed drinks (peppermint mocha... yum) and these incredibly-yummy-looking-yet-disgustingly-fattening desserts. Heather got a chocolate mint brownie that was so big she had to give half of it away back at the office. I got a chocolate snowball, which was a deceptively light-looking ball of coconut flakes hiding a core of gooey chocolate. We spent twice as much money as we had intended and complained for the rest of the afternoon about how gross we felt for eating all that sugar.

Here's a better way to spend your money this Christmas: donate some to the Child's Play Charity. Child's Play was born in 2003 in response to that sort of misinformed media hype I (and probably you) hate -- you know, blaming all the ills of society on video games. Penny Arcade started up the charity to prove that gamers can be good people, too. It's grown in scope every year since then, and last year Child's Play raised over $600,000 for children's hospitals around the US, Canada, and Europe. This year they've expanded into Africa and Australia. We're donating some Cow Race books and games to the cause, which I'm hoping will be fun for some kids who really deserve it.

So you could spend that $5 on a chocolate snowball, or you could put it toward a toy or game for a sick kid. As Gabe mentioned in today's Penny Arcade blog, something as simple as a container of Play-Doh can make a big difference for these kids. And you'll feel all warm and fuzzy inside -- much better than feeling gross and fat on the tail end of a sugar high.
This discussion has been closed.