The T-Shirt - Sam with a gun?

edited May 2006 in Sam & Max
Warning: Opinion below...

I can't recall Sam or Max ever carrying a gun. They are adventure crime solvers. They use their brains to fight crimes. Sometimes Max kicks and pounces on his victims, but never a gun. IMO, this is sort of giving the wrong message to people. Especially new people that may never have played the original Sam and Max.

Can we get a T-Shirt with a different design? One without the gun?

Comments

• edited December 2005
    are you for real?? you've obviously never read the comics..
  • edited December 2005
    I thought sam always had a gun.
  • edited December 2005
    Sam always has a gun, even when he doesn't.

And you don't want to know where Max hides his.
  • edited December 2005
    Sam has a very large revolver. Max has a smaller little handgun. They carry them a lot. They never used them in the game, though (actually, I think they made an appearance in the HTR end credits), as it wouldn't really work with adventure gaming, and the cartoon was obviously too kid-oriented.
  • edited December 2005
    and one of the running jokes if I remember correctly is where does Max hide his gun :D :D :D
  • edited December 2005
    I think the presence of guns is a good sign: they're really getting to the anarchic essence of the comics. ;)
    Diduz
  • edited December 2005
    Wile E, I don't know if you've only played the game, but Sam & Max are seen carelessly waving firearms around on more than a few occasions in the comics. However "edgy" the game may have seemed as a LucasArts title it was slightly toned down in comparison to the comics (not nearly as much as the cartoon, but yeah). For better or for worse, the duo has never been about political correctness. ;)
  • edited December 2005
    Yes I think the gun should be one of the default items in the inventory. Maybe once or tiwice involve it in solving a puzzle but with true adventure game style. (using items in ways other then their intended purpose.) Thinking of items... for some reason it brought back fond memories of a rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle ( I know it is MI not S&M but still good times good times)
  • edited December 2005
    I have unfortunately never read all of the comics (please release a new trade paperback next year like you're hinting at, Steve!), but I do believe Max stabs a terrorist in the eye with a fork in one of them :)

Telltale, why are there only T-shirts in Large and XL sizes? I really want one, but I'm a pretty small guy :(( Please get smaller versions of that awesome design!
  • edited December 2005
    Telltale, why are there only T-shirts in Large and XL sizes?
    Because adventure gamers are fat and lazy!

Hehehehehe!!!!
  • edited December 2005
    what you do is buy the large..and then shrink it in the dryer down to your size...
  • edited December 2005
    Because adventure gamers are fat and lazy!
    I'm skinny and lazy ;)
  • edited December 2005
    if you played Hit the Road, did the game come with a copy of "The Adventurer?" It may include Sam and Max-related stuff with Sam holding a gun.
  • edited December 2005
    Okay, sorry folks. I only played the Lucasarts game. If the comics had 'em, then it makes sense to include 'em in the game. To make it more true to the comics.
  • edited December 2005
    Man I'd like that shirt. However at US $55 I think it may be just a little out of my price range. X-( :((
  • edited December 2005
    Also, beofre you ask, the extra rather large sum of cash is because of international shipping.
  • edited December 2005
    Yeah, we know. It said in another thread... and I want one, but because I'm a tiny dude I need a smaller shirt size.

Also, use the edit button please :)
  • edited December 2005
    I would use the edit button but... bite me.
  • edited December 2005
    Also! For the big-boned likes of us, XXL?!? Please!

You'd think that it should be standard biz practice to make size S through XXL. Since we all come in different shapes and packages...
  • edited December 2005
    I would use the edit button but... bite me.

Can do :D Them be bitin' teeth!
  • edited December 2005
    The shirt is in medium as well now.
  • edited December 2005
    NO GUN?!?!?!

*GAG!*
    *CHOFF!*
    *SEZIURE*

NOT IN THE GAME, BUT IN THE COMICS, THEY CARRIED GIANTIC OVER SIZED ONES! EVEN BAZOOKAS! WHEN THE ANIMATED SEIRIES APPEARS ON GOOGLE VIDEO, GO WATCH "THE THING THAT WOULDNT STOP IT."

Youll see...

And yes, I posted some episodes on google video...
  • edited December 2005
    Sam and Max are to gigantic guns as ... um ... Batman is to ... his Batmask. Without them they aren't Sam and Max! (Except in the game and cartoon when they don't have them and they're still Sam and Max. Except for that.)
  • edited January 2006
    They are actually using guns in the game. They're using their firearms in the end credits.

I think, design wise with the game, the duo could carry firearms though unusable for the player in a direct interactive manner. I.e. they can't be selected in any inventory screen but instead used during cutscenes whenever the dynamic duo do have to use them.

But in my humble opinion; I think it is much more fun to see Max punching the living daylights out of villains instead of shooting holes in them. Firearms don't really have the same comedic long-lasting appeal of usage in contrast to fists (with exception of the cow-that-just-wouldn't-die from Me, Myself and Irene).
  • edited January 2006
    I haven't played S&M:HTR in a veeeery long time, but I seem to recall that the intro cartoon where they rescue that lady had something to do with them crashing their police car through a brick wall and holding out their guns at the mad scientist. Or at least, Sam holding his gun. Or am I just making stuff up?
  • edited January 2006
    Don't any of you guys remember the gag in Hit the Road during the OPENING CREDITS? One of the pictures that flashes by is Sam holding an obscenely large revolver that says HOW'S MY AIM? CALL 1-800-STARWARS.

Ah, that was great.
  • edited January 2006
    Sam and Max both carry guns. The Comics have multiple instances of such, but for those of you who have played the Lucas Arts games have obviously forgotten the credits, where you shoot both carnie prizes -and- the names of the Lucas Employees who made the game with Sam's oversized revolver and Max's Luger.

So yes, they've had guns, both in game and comics.
  • edited January 2006
    Excellent! I think we can all agree now that Sam and Max are card-carrying members of the NRA. :D

I hope Telltale doesn't go soft on these guys and tone down the wanton violence and destruction. They did say this game would be "grittier", so we can only hope. ;)
  • edited January 2006
    it wouldnt be sam and max without wanton violence and destruction :D :))
  • edited January 2006
    Yeah. So I know we're all aware that Sam and Max carry guns but I just thought it would be a good idea to add this:

Click for the gun related fun!.
  • edited January 2006
    Thank you. I treasure every Sam & Max comic I can find!
  • edited May 2006
    I was just reading an issue and saw Sam smash a guy off a motorcycle using the barrel of an obscenely large pistol, so yeah. Guns = yes. Very yes.
  • edited May 2006
    my favorite one was when sam said something to the effect of "hey wanna see a cool science experiment?" and then jammed the barrel of his obscenly large gun into the spokes of the dudes motorcycle.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.