All-Time Favorite Adventure Game Jokes

edited May 2008 in General Chat
What are your all-time favorite adventure game jokes?

My list would have to include...

MANIAC MANSION DEATH GAGS

+ Getting Razor to microwave and give the dead hamster to Weird Ed is probably the most twisted and demented gag of all, but in a warm and cuddly kind of way.

+ Drowning your buddy in the nuclear reactor cooling pool.

+ Microwaving the pool water. I like how the character runs around the kitchen like a chicken with it's head cut off yelling "Ahhhhh! Radioactive steam!"

+ Showing the Green Tentacle your record contract.

+ Playing the tentacle mating call record for the Green Tentacle. I like this joke because it's romantic.

+ The various ways of blowing up the house, and the awesome music that follows.

They're all brilliant!

SPACE QUEST 3

+ Sneaking into Scumsoft, and facing Elmo Pug. The whole Scumsoft thing was the perfect parody of Microsoft's reaction to software pirating. I wonder if software managers still have bull whips at software companies.

+ Thermal weave underwear for extreme heat. Classic.

The list could go on and on...

Comments

• edited April 2008
    Or how about the death scene in Space Quest 1 when you drink from the pool of acid underground on the desert planet. The instant replay of the death is pretty hilarious. I know Lucasarts wasn't big on dying in adventure games, but man, some death scenes can be really entertaining!
  • edited April 2008
    Space Quest 3.
    Go south one room from the start screen.
    TAKE METAL.

That is all.
  • edited April 2008
    "Rubber tree!" in MI1.
  • edited April 2008
    Nice posts. This is my first time using this forum. It's nice to see some responses. I think I remember the "Take metal" scene in SQ3 with the rats peeking from the shadows...

And as far as Monkey Island goes, you can't go wrong with the spitting contest.
  • edited April 2008
    Locomojo wrote: »
    Or how about the death scene in Space Quest 1 when you drink from the pool of acid underground on the desert planet. The instant replay of the death is pretty hilarious. I know Lucasarts wasn't big on dying in adventure games, but man, some death scenes can be really entertaining!

Those were the best. You could stick your hand in the pool of acid too. It would freeze and the two guys from Andromeda would pop up and would be like, "Let's take a look and see where he went wrong." then it would slo mo of you putting your hand in the acid and it would stop and they were like, "Right here was the first mistake." They also had awesome commentary when you walked under the drips of acid and died too. Space Quest was the best. Long live Roger Wilco.
  • edited April 2008
    Good call Scott.

On another note, not really a specific joke, just funny: the AI in Sam and Max 204 was friggin' hilarious. I'm guessing that was a tribute to Douglas Adams' "Marvin". :cool:
  • edited April 2008
    Locomojo wrote: »
    Good call Scott.

On another note, not really a specific joke, just funny: the AI in Sam and Max 204 was friggin' hilarious. I'm guessing that was a tribute to Douglas Adams' "Marvin". :cool:
    Not quite- I'm with the guy who said it needed a manic-depressive setting.
  • edited April 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    Not quite- I'm with the guy who said it needed a manic-depressive setting.

I'm the guy that said a manic-depressive setting would have been cool! :D

Did anyone notice the possible Douglas Adams reference in the title of Dave Grossman's book of poetry "Ode to the Stuff in the Sink: A Book of Guy Poetry". I might be an obsessive Douglas Adams fan, but the first thing I thought of was the universe's second worst poem of all time: "Ode to a Small Lump of Green Putty I Found in My Armpit One Midsummer Morning". And on that note, I cast my vote that the next Telltale series is The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...
  • edited April 2008
    That might be a bit of a stretch...
  • edited April 2008
    MI-1: The scene in the mansion when all the action is taking place behind the walls.

Use...confetti...on crazy clown

WHEEEEEEEE!!!!!
  • edited April 2008
    Glottis and his drinking/gambling problem was great. Actually, Glottis was just all round great.

Also the point where you escape from both a snake's stomach and quicksand in MI3 were great.
  • edited April 2008
    I like the wishing well jokes from Hit the Road, where you throw cash in the wishing well.

Sam: "I wish I knew what max was thinking"
    Above Max's head ., .., ...., ........, !
    Sam: "Well that was a waste of money"

The "The End" screen well joke was funny too.
  • edited April 2008
    RobD wrote: »
    Glottis and his drinking/gambling problem was great. Actually, Glottis was just all round great.

Also the point where you escape from both a snake's stomach and quicksand in MI3 were great.

The snake gag was pretty funny. I liked how you could clearly see Guybrush standing in the snake... like "ehh, no big deal..." I wonder if any of the Telltale guys pull pranks around the office with ipecac in the coffee.
  • jmmjmm
    edited April 2008
    I like the wishing well jokes from Hit the Road, where you throw cash in the wishing well.

Sam: "I wish I knew what max was thinking"
    Above Max's head ., .., ...., ........, !
    Sam: "Well that was a waste of money"

The "The End" screen well joke was funny too.

Sam: "Well, Well, Well"

Plus, the Edutainment gag (Who's John Muir?)

And...:
    Snukey's Guy: Here's the key.
    Sam: "That's a big rasp!"
    Max: "Out of toilet paper?"
  • edited April 2008
    jmm wrote: »
    And...:
    Snukey's Guy: Here's the key.
    Sam: "That's a big rasp!"
    Max: "Out of toilet paper?"

HA!
  • edited April 2008
    A thought occured to me: Insult Swordfighting!

Insult.jpg
  • edited April 2008
    How appropriate. You fight like a cow!
  • edited May 2008
    Narrator in Space Quest 6 after Roger Wilco picks up a plank about 4X his size:
    "Bet you can't fit that thing into your pants."

Shoop.

"Guess I was wrong; it does fit. There must be plenty of spare room in there."
  • edited May 2008
    Mine is more of a puzzle, but it's still funny as hell...

Sam & Max: Hit The Road

Take Jesse James severed hand.
    Attach it to broken golf ball retriever.
    Have it hold fish shaped magnet.
    Jam it into the worlds largest ball of twine.
    Magnet attracts psychic mood ring.
    Return psychic mood ring to hippie moleman living in the Mystery Spot.
    He tells you to go to frog rock.

(Also, when searching for Frog Rock, I found the amazing argyle forest... I literally fell out of my chair at that one...)
  • edited May 2008
    Anything from Monkey Island tickles me!
  • edited May 2008
    How has Murray The Invincible Demonic Skull not gotten a mention yet? :D

Murray: I will stride through the gates of Hell, carrying your head on a pike!
    Guybrush: 'Stride'?
    Murray: Alright then! Roll! Roll through the gates of Hell carrying your head on a pike!

Also, a lot of the things April Ryan says in The Longest Journey are unintentionally funny. :p
  • edited May 2008
    Monkey island, it was all glorious but amongst my favorites: "i'm Bobbin, are you my mother?" is a classic.. as is the whole "No thanks, I don't want people asking me about Grim Fandango"

Sam and Max htr - "if it wasn't for the carefree innocence of this carnival, i'd be breaking his kneecaps", the entire opening sequence, Max's rant after you save him from the booth at gater golf, "gratuitous acts of senseless violence are MY forte!" and of course, Max's complaints about Frog rock "I want my money back!"
    I also rather liked the fisherman who was allergic to fish "holy mackerel!" "i'm a trout stupid"

DOTT: The entire hamster microwave thing "Kids who put hamsters in microwaves in MY time are taken away from their parents and put up for adoption"
    "in order to save the world you gotta push a few old ladies down the stairs" and of course, the flushing of random things down the chronojohn.

Zak Mckracken: The two headed hamster, the aliens, shredding sushi and of course, what happens if you input the wrong visa (security anti piracy code) three times. Ahhh...

And while Torment is actually an rpg not an adventure game, it's worth a mention for the codex of the inconceivable and "hey Grace, how'd you like to put me in your inventory?"
  • edited May 2008
    My favorite is maniac mansion."I should have tied you to my bed,sweetie!"I was like :eek:
  • EmiEmi
    edited May 2008
    King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow:
    In the pawnbroker's shop, clicking the shelves behind the shop owner will give you descriptions of several items that would have been useful in previous games. My favorite was the item to help you climb stairs. Man, were stairs a pain in the ass. I can't count how many times I've died falling off stairs. On a side note, I really liked where the art was going in VI and was disappointed in the Disney cartoon look in The Princeless Bride.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.