Sam & Max episodes to be GameTap exclusive?

edited May 2006 in Sam & Max
From here, on WorthPlaying
All New Episodic 'Sam & Max' Comes To GameTap

Posted on Monday, May 08 @ 18:43:22 PDT

After more than a decade, legendary dog and rabbit crime-fighting Sam & Max make their return to the gaming scene! GameTap and Telltale today announced they are co-producing an all new Sam & Max episodic adventure series that will debut on the GameTap network in time for this holiday season.

At GameTap’s E3 booth (South Hall #1078), fans of “Sam & Max” can view a trailer that provides a sneak peek of what’s to come. There is even a special poster designed by series creator Steve Purcell which fans can obtain by taking the GameTap Aptitude Test. Visitors can also sign up for a chance to win an Alienware computer. For those who cannot attend E3, the trailer will be available on GameTap TV and on the Telltale website at snm.telltalegames.com later in the week.

The new “Sam & Max” series marks GameTap’s first outing as a producer. Also an industry first is the introduction of a brand new title on GameTap’s broadband network. GameTap now boasts more than 500 video game titles as well as original video programming, music channels and thriving online communities.

“GameTap is all about great games, so we’re thrilled that the first GameTap-produced title and the first brand new game to debut on our service is a ‘Sam and Max’ episodic series,” said Ricardo Sanchez, GameTap’s vice president of content. “We’re also very excited to be working with Telltale Games to pioneer episodic game development.”

"GameTap is a great fit for Sam & Max," said Telltale CEO Dan Connors. "They have a tremendous amount of respect for the series, and their online channel makes them an ideal partner for episodic content. We look forward to our collaborations for accelerating innovation in the interactive entertainment space."

With its unique visual style and clever storylines, the “Sam & Max” franchise has amassed a devoted following in comic book, animation, and video game circles. By coming to GameTap, the “Sam & Max” legacy will continue to grow and thrive in the bold new frontier of broadband entertainment.

“Sam & Max” will join GameTap’s extensive library of on-demand content that now boasts more than 500 video game titles as well as original video programming, spanning music, animation, reality shows and more, all of which targets followers of the pop-culture driven video game lifestyle. Telltale is continuing to release new “Sam & Max” content at its website on a regular basis, including the serialized webcomic story which began last winter, collectible prints signed by Steve Purcell, t-shirts and a completely new cartoon strip generator, which it has posted to the site today.

Cartoon strip generator?

Now, I'm only speculating that it's a an exclusive deal. But if GT are funding / producing the titles, they're unlikely to let any other websites distribut the content, after all having exclusivity is a huge drawcard.

The only thing that really worries me is this, which happens when one tries to join GameTap;
WHOOPS!

Sorry, GameTap is only available in the United States.

You may want to return to www.gametap.com.

:-L

Us non-US citizens will somehow be able to play Sam & Max episodes in a timely manner, right?

Comments

• edited May 2006
    You know, the way I read Gamespot's post seemed like it was Gametap exclusive, but that seems bizarre to me. I was actually planning on signing up for Gametap anyway, but for most it'd be pretty lame of Telltale to make people subscribe to a monthly service to play Sam & Max. Please tell me this deal makes Gametap an additional option for getting the game. Surely it will be available through Telltale Now as well?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2006
    Hey guys, we've just put up the new Telltale Sam & Max site, and it's got answers to these questions (and probably some other questions).

And, short answer: Sam & Max episodes will be available from both Telltale.com and GameTap.

Er oops right, also: the site's here if you were curious. My brain's totally fried after spending the last week getting this stuff ready.
  • edited May 2006
    [Burns] Excellent [/Burns]
  • edited May 2006
    Hey guys, we've just put up the new Telltale Sam & Max site, and it's got answers to these questions (and probably some other questions).

And, short answer: Sam & Max episodes will be available from both Telltale.com and GameTap.

Er oops right, also: the site's here if you were curious. My brain's totally fried after spending the last week getting this stuff ready.
    Telltale? I love you guys. With my HEART.

I love the comic strip generater idea. Reminds me of Caption This! when the Sci-Fi channel had an MST3K website. I'm going to start working on some. Sooooon.
  • edited May 2006
    I've only the following to say: :D
  • edited May 2006
    now here's a type of Sam and Max fix I need
  • edited May 2006
    Really like the site design and the way the site's written. Like what I'm seeing of the graphics as well, even if I was expecting more of a departue from Freelance Police's look. I particularly like the way Sam's tie and jacket are realised.

I get dibs on first wild guess on what the first episode's about: I say timetravel, what with the Dottesque vortex that seems to be everywhere. I can't wait for Telltale to release the trailer and prove me completely wrong.

I'm surprised to get an immediate, straight out answer to whether the previous voice actors will be returning, but I suppose that just shows how in touch with their fans Telltale are. I wonder whether the previous actors were unavailable, or if it's a matter of Telltale wanting to put their own stamp on the characters aurally.

I wish I could think of a great comic to create...
  • edited May 2006
    Wow, the site is nice, and the pictures are a thing of beauty. Steve Purcell couldn't have put Sam & Max in better hands.

I have a question though. Seeing as the episodes will be shorter than a typical Bone episode, and in quicker succession, will we see a CD release for each episode, or one CD/DVD when the season is complete?
  • edited May 2006
    Yeah, that FAQ thing covers pretty much every general question I could think of. Nice work.

I love that first wallpaper shot, but all the sam & max goodness is obscured by my icons. I guess I could mirror it...
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2006
    I love that first wallpaper shot, but all the sam & max goodness is obscured by my icons. I guess I could mirror it...

You could always download a widescreen one and crop it differently :P
  • edited May 2006
    I have a question though. Seeing as the episodes will be shorter than a typical Bone episode, and in quicker succession, will we see a CD release for each episode, or one CD/DVD when the season is complete?
    I'm not sure, but I would bet on a "season" collection CD. At least, that's the one I would buy. In the meantime, I think I'll be subscribing to GameTap to play the episodes. I've been meaning to do subscribe already, but this is added incentive.

And Fall is sooner than I thought we'd be seeing Sam & Max. :D I thought it would end up being in winter or something like that.
  • edited May 2006
    Just please, make them at least 2 hours, preferably 3.
  • edited May 2006
    It's like there's a party in my mouth, and everyone's invited! And by mouth I mean monitor! and by in I mean on! And by that I mean Woo! Or maybe Wii! Viva exclamation marks!
  • edited May 2006

It says the episodes will be available both places but will they be available simultaneously?
    :)
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2006
    The details of the schedule are still being ironed out. As soon as we know the answer to that question, you'll know. ;)
  • edited May 2006
    Thanks :) Maybe by the time fall rolls around, GameTap may be international and it'll be a moot point.
  • edited May 2006
    Has Telltale thought at all about bringing the episodic Sam and Max games to some of the new gaming consoles
    Live Arcade and Virtual Console concepts? I don't know if the Xbox360's controls would adapt well, but the Nintendo Wii should be offering a similar experience to Live Arcade, and it's controller is the most "mouse" like.

Still planning on getting Sam and Max on PC if not...
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2006
    No decisions have been made yet, but it's definitely something we're open to!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.