Loom PC CD longplay (and audio drama)

edited April 2008 in General Chat
Just made a longplay of the PC CD version of Loom. I also uploaded the audio drama since it adds a lot to the game if you listen to that first.

Going to record the FM Towns version as well as there are several differences.

Anyway -

Audio drama part 1/3
Audio drama part 2/3
Audio drama part 3/3

Longplay part 1/8
Longplay part 2/8
Longplay part 3/8
Longplay part 4/8
Longplay part 5/8
Longplay part 6/8
Longplay part 7/8
Longplay part 8/8

Comments

• jmmjmm
    edited April 2008
    Hmmm, thats probably not a draft ;)

Ah... memories. Thanks for posting this.

{Jmm casts a lot of ECED drafts on the links :)}
  • edited April 2008
    Armakuni wrote: »
    Going to record the FM Towns version as well as there are several differences.
    is the fm towns version like the pc cd-rom or even better?
  • edited April 2008
    It's a matter of preference. I like the FM Towns version better.

The PC CD version has speech but it's stored in one big audio track.. which means that there is not room for very much at all (a CD can only contain about 70 minutes or so but the audio track containing all the speech here is a little over 50 minutes I believe).
    This means that they cut dialogue from the game and also removed many of the close up pictures of characters etc. Also, since pretty much all the CD space was used up for speech, there is most often no music playing except in talking sequences.

The FM Towns however does not have speech and thus it retains all the dialogue from the PC floppy version, BUT - the FM Towns version has the 256 colors of the PC CD version. So this is a combination of the the best part about the floppy version (all the text) and the best part about the PC CD version (the 256 color graphics).
    Also, since the CD is not used up for speech, it plays audio tracks all the time.. as opposed to the PC version which is quiet for the most part except during talking and special sequences.
  • edited April 2008
    The PC CD team actually experimented with updated versions of the character close-ups that would constantly be moving their mouths, thus appearing to lip-sync with the spoken words. In the end they abandoned the idea, but there are still a couple such close-ups in the resource files.
  • edited April 2008
    Armakuni wrote: »
    So this is a combination of the the best part about the floppy version (all the text) and the best part about the PC CD version (the 256 color graphics).

I didn't like the new graphics in the CD version so much. In my opinion the original (floppy) version is much prettier.
  • edited April 2008
    I have that version as well, perhaps I should make a longplay of that one too. But I prefer the 256 color version personally.
  • edited April 2008
    I prefer the floppy version purely because of the dialogue that was lost thanks to cd limitations and sound compression. While the cd version is very pretty and the voice acting is pretty good (the audio drama rules) I just love the original script so so much. I suppose the fact that the pc floppy version was the first version I played and made me fall in love with the game is partially to blame hahah.

I'm gonna have to have a listen to this though, just for nostelga reasons.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.