TWAU Support FAQ PC/MAC - Please read before posting

DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

If you are having trouble with The Wolf Among Us, here are some possible solutions. This is work in progress.

The game doesn't start
First make sure you meet the system requirements.
On PC Intel graphics are often the culprit. Further make sure your graphics and sound drivers are up to date. Please check the manufacturers websites.
If that's not helping, please look below for more specific start issues.

Mac: The game crashes immediately on startup
Please make sure that the path to "The Wolf Among Us.app" doesn't contain the characters
/ " ! [ or \
If you have the game on steam, the same goes for the path to the steam library.

PC: TTG Download - The game doesn't start or shows that MSVCP100.dll is missing
Please install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package

PC: The game doesn't start or crashes with "TheWolfAmongUs.exe has stopped working"
This can be caused by having an exclamation mark "!" or international characters in the path to TheWolfAmongUs.exe. If that's the case, please reinstall the game to a different location containing only ASCII characters except "!".

PC: Steam - The game doesn't start or crashes with "TheWolfAmongUs.exe has stopped working"

Please check the properties of the Steam.exe, your Steam icons, and the games .exe files, and disable any compatibility mode settings.
Sometimes compatibility mode is checked, but is grayed out. Then you have to click on "Change settings for all users" at the bottom to disable the checkbox.
Afterwards try if the game works.

If you made absolutely sure, that the method mentioned above didn't work to disable it, you can try disabling it in the registry.

PC: Windows 8 - The game doesn't start
Please try unplugging any non essential USB devices, especially gamepads or joysticks. If the game runs, the problem is caused by a bug that's fixed in Windows 8.1, available for free in the Windows 8 Store.
If you don't want to upgrade yet, you can try an unofficial workaround. In short, by downloading and extracting this zip file, and copying the dinput8.dll next to the TheWolfAmongUs.exe (or "The Wolf Among Us.exe"), you should be able to use the controller normally. Make sure you delete that dinput8.dll after updating to Windows 8.1, to avoid possible problems in the future.

PC: TTG Download - I can't log into the game
Please try logging in using your username (not e-mail address) and password.
If that doesn't work please change your password on the settings page, and only use the characters from the set A-Z a-z 0-9 in the new password. Then try logging in with username and password again.

If it doesn't even ask for login data, please delete the Login data from the registry.

First, open a command window.
Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "cmd" and press enter
Windows Vista / 7: Press the Windows key. Type in "cmd" and press enter
Windows 8: At the start screen, type in "cmd" and press enter

Then copy the command line below and paste it into the command window, press enter, and confirm the question:
REG DELETE "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Telltale Games\Launcher"

If you still can't log into the game, please write an E-Mail to support@telltalegames.com. Include the E-Mail address you used for your TTG Account and full name so they can look up your account.

PC: I get a black screen after starting the game
Please try pressing Alt-Enter to put the game into windowed mode. If the game graphics show up then, set the games resolution to the native resolution to your display before changing back to fullscreen mode.
If the screen inside the window stays black, it might be a bug with certain characters in the name of the windows user account. Please create a new Windows user account with only characters from a-z and try playing there, until it is sorted out.

PC: The game didn't save my progress
This can be caused by having certain special or international characters in the name of the windows user account. Please create a new Windows user account with only characters from a-z and try playing there, until it is sorted out.
If you are running an international version of Windows XP, the name of your "my documents" folder might contain characters other than a-z. If that's the case, you can change the name of the my documents folder as a workaround until the bug is fixed.

PC: My Gamepad/Joystick doesn't work
Only wired xbox 360 controllers are officially supported. Wireless controller's are not supported. Controllers don't work on Windows 8, but updating to Windows 8.1 will fix it. See above for a temporary workaround.

PC: The mouse pointer doesn't show up at the beginning
The mouse is not visible on the "Click anywhere to begin" screen, which is intentional. If you can't continue by clicking, wait a few seconds after the screen shows up and try clicking again.
You can also continue by pressing the "space bar".

The missing mouse pointer can be an issue if you are not logged in and see the "Can't login, Sign Out" screen or the "Login" screen.

This seems to be caused by moving the mouse after the game shows the first graphics.
On PC the easiest workaround if it happens is pressing Alt-Enter to put the game into windowed mode, moving the invisible mouse up out of the window until the windows pointer is visible, horizontally centering it above "sign out" (or the login input boxes), and moving straight down until the pointer shows up.

If you're at the login screen and the typing cursor is visible, you can use the tab key to change between the input fields and press enter to confirm. If you need the mouse pointer at the login screen, you have to click once more until the input cursor is gone, before you can use the Alt-Enter procedure to make it visible.

Alternatively you can systematically move the mouse around to try to hit the center of the screen, but that's a bit tricky with an invisible cursor.

How can I backup my savegames?
The savegames are stored in the folders below. I suggest you backup all files in the folder. The contents of the SyncFS subfolders are not required to backup the games progress.
Win Vista/7/8: %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Wolf Among Us
XP: %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\Telltale Games\The Wolf Among Us
Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/The Wolf Among Us

This discussion has been closed.