I've got a question about the comics for those familiar with them

edited October 2013 in The Wolf Among Us

I've never read the comics, so I am unfamiliar with them. Does the comics also have the "glamour" and the "mundanes/mundies"?

Is this "glamour" thing popular amongst book and comic book series, or was it exclusive to the comics? Was the creator of the comics the person who thought of that?

I apologize for the incessant questions, but I have a reason for that.

Thank you!

Comments

• Yes, glamour and mundies are straight out of the comics but I dont think the idea of using Glamours to disguise yourself is anything new. Im sure its come up in stories about witches or other magical creatures, probably directly from the Grimm Fairy Tales too, like the evil queen disguising herself as a hag to trick Snow White. In this case, its just practicality. They cant have normal humans seeing talking pigs or Toads wearing sweaters lol

• Thank you very much!

• Yep. The concept of Glamour as a magical disguise has been around awhile. I was first exposed to it in the Sandman or maybe the original Books of Magic mini-series comics which I first read at the time of publication. It is a big deal for the fairy folk. Gaiman surely didn't come up with that on his own.

KCohere posted: »

Yes, glamour and mundies are straight out of the comics but I dont think the idea of using Glamours to disguise yourself is anything new. Im s

• Yes both names are mentioned and are important..but i will not go into further details because i want you to experience this awesome universe

• edited October 2013

Well, one of the meanings of the word glamour is actually a spell or enchantment, specifically one that affects appearances. It comes from an old Scottish term, gramarye ("magic" or "spell"). So, that's actually a very old usage of the word. This is something that's done frequently in fantasy writing, using old or historical terms.

Of course, Willingham's twist on the whole glamour thing is that characters who can't pass as human have to pay for an enchantment or get sent elsewhere.

http://ewonago.blogspot.com/2009/12/etymology-of-glamour.html

Sign in to comment in this discussion.