Smoke & Mirrors....What could it mean?

edited October 2013 in The Wolf Among Us

Every episode in a telltale game has a cryptic title message and after seeing what episode 2 is called, i'm thinking lies and deceit. However, it could mean magic oriented? Thoughts?

Comments

• Maybe the magic mirror will play a bigger part in this episode

• Doesn't the phrase "Smoke and Mirrors" mean something akin to putting a front, distorting the truth with a lot of lies about something to give off a different appeareance?

And the preview image is of the brothel, so I would guess that a) either the whorehouse turns out to be a front for something else, more sinister or b) something about the first episode will turn out to have been falsified (maybe Faith's death).

• About the mirror. When it says "friend on friend, at the end of the end", you can see green face and Bigby.

Alt text

Another gameplay - there is no mirror's face, just green fog/smoke and Bigby looks different.

Alt text

A bug?

• woah..maybe?

Omid's cat posted: »

About the mirror. When it says "friend on friend, at the end of the end", you can see green face and Bigby. Another gameplay - there is no mirror's face, just green fog/smoke and Bigby looks different. A bug?

• Doesn't the phrase "Smoke and Mirrors" mean something akin to putting a front, distorting the truth with a lot of lies about something to give off a different appeareance?

Yes. It's also meant to invoke a magic act.

I don't know that the title is meant to have any greater meaning than the fact that the truth is hidden. And also there's a magic mirror.

Fabrimuch posted: »

Doesn't the phrase "Smoke and Mirrors" mean something akin to putting a front, distorting the truth with a lot of lies about something to give

• looks like a bug to me.

for some reason when i hear smoke and mirrors i keep getting reminded of the wizard from the wizard of oz.

Omid's cat posted: »

About the mirror. When it says "friend on friend, at the end of the end", you can see green face and Bigby. Another gameplay - there is no mirror's face, just green fog/smoke and Bigby looks different. A bug?

• The phrase hints at illusion and misdirection, that things are not as they seem.

• edited October 2013

a hint that maybe the heads are not really peoples heads?

LadyOrc posted: »

The phrase hints at illusion and misdirection, that things are not as they seem.

• That's definitely what I'm thinking. :)

multicolt posted: »

• edited October 2013

That's definitely what I'm thinking. :) No idea how it will work out, but I'm pretty positive that neither woman is actually dead.

multicolt posted: »

• plot twist everyone is dead and there all stuck in purgatory but don't know it yet. jk but could you imagine?

• It looks like a bug to me, I played through 3 times and never saw that. But maybe it only happens when certain choices are made, interesting though ...

• there has to be some witchcraft because when bigby ask faith what's going on she kept saying " my lips are sealed"as if she's witched, same as mirror..

• i know what it means bigsby is having a smoke and looking at him self in the mirror

• I am quite confident that the title does in fact refer to those glamoured heads.

I'm somewhat less confident (but still pretty confident) that one of those glamoured heads is Holly the Troll's missing sister. They just threw out that she was missing and Holly was in the preview for Ep. 2 apparently in shock and grief, saying "Oh, no."

• Something from episode 1 was an illusion of some kind, I'm sure of it. The mirror will probably play a big role in this episode. It also was seen from the episode 2 trailer that Bigby turns full wherewolf so im really eager to see what triggers that!

• I now believe, after doing more research, that the "murders" are actually disappearances. And the fables that were "murdered" will come back at some point. The heads may not actually be heads at all, they could just be some other object made to look like heads, with magic. This would explain the title "smoke and mirrors." But maybe the title could be more literal, pointing to the magic mirror playing a major roll in the next episode. Or maybe it could be ment to be taken both ways?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.